Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Manning on if 2015 is last season

- Peyton Manning on if 2015 is last season: 'I don't have those thoughts' -

"It really seems like Peyton Manning's retirement will come out of the blue, sometime in the middle of a cold offseason.

Will it be next offseason? Who knows. But Manning has avoided the retirement talk since he came to Denver. He simply will not talk about his future plans and when he might walk away from the NFL. After his play slipped late last season, and the Denver Broncos asked him to take a pay cut, the common thought has been that the 2015 season might be it. But there will be no farewell tour, at least this season.

In a promotional interview for NFL Sunday Ticket on DirecTV, Yahoo's Evan Doherty asked Manning when he's going to retire.

"I don't have those thoughts," said Manning, who is 39. "I think about playing football to the best of my ability in 2015."

Perhaps he has it all planned out how he wants to say goodbye to the NFL — this is the master of preparation, right? — but every time he has been asked about it he has never let on. Until he steps away it will be a big story, considering he's truly one of the greatest players the NFL has ever seen and has also been a tremendous ambassador for the sport. But if he's planning on this being his last season (and that's all speculation; there has been no indication he's ready to walk away and he did have a 101.5 rating last season) then he's not going to let it be a distraction for the Broncos." ...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...232554119.html
    Last edited by Emily Diana; 09-02-2015, 06:33 PM.

We can only hope.

Comment

He needs to announce it so the NFL can rig him a sunset championship run like they did for Ray Lewis.

Comment

Honestly, if this year looks anything like last year or the playoffs (which in my opinion the preseason has), it's time. Wish him and us fans the best though.
        Dr. Giggles

Comment

I think whether or not this is his final run will depend on how he performs in the new offense. I don't think that even Peyton himself can tell you how it is all going to work. Peyton may have an idea of when he will retire but does not want it to become another Brett Favre type thing (retiring then unretirement).
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
            He needs to announce it so the NFL can rig him a sunset championship run like they did for Ray Lewis.
            And with all the things that have been coming to light in New England, the NFL would definitely make it happen.

Comment

Since his "game " is more between his ears than physically. As long as he is not injured I can see him play well into his 40's.

Let's see if he has fun this coming year instead of being a bunch of chicken littles.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                Since his "game " is more between his ears than physically. As long as he is not injured I can see him play well into his 40's.

Let's see if he has fun this coming year instead of being a bunch of chicken littles.
                Honestly, Peyton Manning never looks like he is having fun playing football. I think he actually has more fun learning and practicing than actually playing the game itself.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  Honestly, Peyton Manning never looks like he is having fun playing football. I think he actually has more fun learning and practicing than actually playing the game itself.
                  Well, we could always try and get Kyle Orton back haha. No i agree with you on Manning. He needs to lighten up a bit sometimes
                  sigpic

Comment

I think that's flawed reasoning. If his physical game was already average at best, then it deteriorating even further below that does not bode well. It doesn't matter if he knows exactly what throw to make and when if he can't physically do it.

Comment

The Broncos are not dummies; let's see how things go before making a prediction based on a couple preseason quarters.

If the preseason showed us anything it was that Osweiler is ready to step in if Manning cannot get it done.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                        I think that's flawed reasoning. If his physical game was already average at best, then it deteriorating even further below that does not bode well. It doesn't matter if he knows exactly what throw to make and when if he can't physically do it.
                        Not really. Flawed reasoning is hoping this will be Peyton's last year, instead of hoping he plays well this year and beyond.

And Garfield is correct. Manning's strengths has always been studying, getting rid of the ball quickly, football IQ, etc, and those things never go away. And it isn't arm strength that goes first, it's the legs. QBs and pitchers keep their arm strength into their 40s. Elway didn't quit because of arm strength. He quit because of his legs. Manning doesn't have this issue.

I suggest you get used to the likely possibility that Peyton plays not only this year, but next as well.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                          Not really. Flawed reasoning is hoping this will be Peyton's last year, instead of hoping he plays well this year and beyond.

And Garfield is correct. Manning's strengths has always been studying, getting rid of the ball quickly, football IQ, etc, and those things never go away. And it isn't arm strength that goes first, it's the legs. QBs and pitchers keep their arm strength into their 40s. Elway didn't quit because of arm strength. He quit because of his legs. Manning doesn't have this issue.

I suggest you get used to the likely possibility that Peyton plays not only this year, but next as well.
                          Thanks, I would have not seen it.

Some folks have an agenda and you nailed this.

Great rebuttal.

Comment

What? lol that is completely irrelevant, but regardless..If I believe a player has to deteriorated and is not helping the franchise, how is it flawed reasoning to hop that player does not stick around?

Would it be sound reasoning for me to hope someone who I bridled will be great for this team(Oz) continue to rise the bench? No. So yeah, no. Not flawed reasoning. Maybe flawed understanding on your part.

I simply want what I deem best for the Broncos' long term success. The coaching staff has to play Manning until he proves himself incapable. Several of us believe we has seen the beginning of the end for him and that he will only get worse. If we believe that, then that is perfectly fine reasoning to hope he retires.

I never disagreed with him on that. Manning is great at all those mentioned. All I said is that the weak part of him game is only getting weaker. It is very obviously getting weaker. We saw this the second half of last year, and it continued into this preseason.

I don't know what your qualifications are to say that no matter what arms don't lose anything until the legs do. That's kind of an odd statement to make. Manning's arm, entire body in all likelihood, has obviously weakened.

Elway quit for the same reason all aging players do. The toll on their body has reached a point to where they are rapidly losing. The ability to compete at a high level. We've seen it with many players league wide, we saw it with Champ first hand, and I believe that is what we're watching unfold with Manning.

I really think the odds of that are too poor to fathom, to be honest. He will play this year, that was certain when he didn't retire, trade talks with the Texans didn't get far, and Elway asked to cut his pay to $10 million. How well he plays and how healthy he stays will determine how much he plays this year, however.

As far as next year, after what happened this offseason I find it almost impossible that Elway retains him should he not retire. Elway is too good of a GM to settle for mediocrity and I believe that that is Peyton's ceiling at this point in his career.

Comment

Thanks, I would have not seen it.

Some folks have an agenda and you nailed this.

Great rebuttal.
                              I believe Manning is average at best.

I believe we can do better.

I want us to do better.

That is my agenda.

Comment

Working...
                              X