Many NFL Executives believe Peyton Manning is 'pretty much done'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many NFL Executives believe Peyton Manning is 'pretty much done'

I'm pretty much posting this to see reactions after the game. Here's to hoping Manning proves them WRONG!

At the end of the preseason, Albert Breer from NFL.com interviewed NFL executives on a multiple of topics - including Peyton Manning. There, 19 of the 28 NFL minds would not even consider Peyton Manning a top five quarterback.

What they said is quite damning.

One rival AFC pro director who studied him the last few weeks said he looked "limited" and saw his arm strength as "significantly diminished." And he added, "They don't do as much from the shotgun (under Gary Kubiak) as they did in the past, and he lacks the mobility to take the majority of his snaps from underneath the center. They also do too much boot and move the pocket too much for (him)."

I had an NFC exec go back and look at all of Manning's snaps from August. Afterward, he said Manning looked "immobile" and "flinches under pocket pressure." That exec cited "a bad underthrow and off-target interception" and "inaccuracy on intermediate and deep passes." Another exec, this one from an AFC team, countered that by saying that "you're aware the zip and velocity isn't there, but he's a very, very cerebral quarterback. ... He plays within his limitations, he has a quick release and he has weapons."

These are not people who think Peyton Manning has anything left to contribute to the NFL as a quarterback. My only question is whether they are judging Peyton of 2015 against Peyton of 2005 or if they are judging Peyton against any other starting quarterback in the NFL.

Could all of these things be true? I think so, but does this only make him the 7th or 8th best quarterback in the league or the 32nd best? I believe the former to be the case here.

The one person who did go on record wasn't an NFL executive, but rather NFL Network's Brian Baldinger who said this about Manning's final preseason game, "When you watch some of these throws, you can’t believe it could possibly be the same guy… You just (wonder) is it the arm, is it the new offense, is he thinking too much, is that possible? … Those plays are lay-ups for Peyton Manning."

Manning begins this season with as many or more doubters than he had when he returned to football in the 2012 season. Either way, we're going to start finding out how this affects the Denver Broncos aspirations for another Super Bowl title.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/9...etty-much-done

Many NFL executives can't even draft and do their job properly.

Peyton's arm looks fine.
    sigpic

Comment

They're right
      Dr. Giggles

Comment

We've been watching this since November. No surprise.

Comment

Zero velocity on balls deeper than 15 or so yards.

Zero.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I have to agree with the majority of the execs. Many Bronco fans are saying "we did the same thing with our offense at the end of Elway's career and won 2 super bowls"...a couple major differences:

1) John still had zip on his passes.
            2) John was still mobile and could scramble.

After today's game I hate to say it but Peyton appears to have neither of those qualities at this point in his career.
            "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
            PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
            LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Stop it!

Peyton's arm looks fine!

(imagine later in the season oh damn)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                I have to agree with the majority of the execs. Many Bronco fans are saying "we did the same thing with our offense at the end of Elway's career and won 2 super bowls"...a couple major differences:

1) John still had zip on his passes.
                2) John was still mobile and could scramble.

After today's game I hate to say it but Peyton appears to have neither of those qualities at this point in his career.

Painfully obvious and sadly true

Comment

Manning certainly didn't do anything yesterday to quiet his doubters.

I still have the same concerns I have had all off-season. Re-read some of the quotes from the execs. Sadly they are spot on. He had 3 or 4 awful passes that made me think the whole "can't feel my fingertips" issue may be bigger then we want to believe.

Hope he can improve on Thursday. Offense (especially the o-line) now has a game under their belts. Timing should be better. But going into KC is not going to be a picnic. It is going to take more then FGs to win. Manning needs to figure it out pretty d**n quickly.

Comment

rewatched the condensed game this morning. He struggles throwing to the left and outside the hashmarks. All of his quick outs and screens floated on him.

I think this is a "cant feel my fingertips" issue, like FR Tim.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                      rewatched the condensed game this morning. He struggles throwing to the left and outside the hashmarks. All of his quick outs and screens floated on him.

I think this is a "cant feel my fingertips" issue, like FR Tim.
                      On the surface I'd say sure....The fact remains that he has made those throws the past few years and the "finger tip thing" existed then too. I think what we saw was an O-Line play poorly. An aging QB got hit a few times, HARD, and as a result he rushed himself to avoid it happening again. He also had no run game to speak of so the DB's never came up later in the game to stop us. Mainly because our Oline was being pushed back. We were being bullied rather than being the bullies.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                        On the surface I'd say sure....The fact remains that he has made those throws the past few years and the "finger tip thing" existed then too. I think what we saw was an O-Line play poorly. An aging QB got hit a few times, HARD, and as a result he rushed himself to avoid it happening again. He also had no run game to speak of so the DB's never came up later in the game to stop us. Mainly because our Oline was being pushed back. We were being bullied rather than being the bullies.
                        I think it's worse, and why the story came out about it in the first place. If you've followed Manning's career, his people are very careful in controlling info and setting up excuses. Not a bashing thing, im just saying.

The overthrows are because he has no feel on the ball. I 110% believe that. Also, after taking some hits, I'm noticing (watching the game again right now) that he was letting it go as if he was under pressure when he really wasn't. I can't blame him, if I were 39 and getting rocked it'd effect me too.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Needless to say, I don't think the rollout is gonna be part of the offense anymore...

Comment

Originally posted by theMileHighGuy View Post
                            Needless to say, I don't think the rollout is gonna be part of the offense anymore...

I was pumped seeing that play until the throw happened lol. Between that play and another in the same series that he overthrew Sanders we left some points on the field. With a even "good" throw DT takes that to the house.
                            Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

That boot leg was set up perfectly. Manning completely missed DT. He is not very good throwing across his body...

Comment

Working...
                              X