Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Kubiak has Denver Broncos gritting their way to perfection

Hey Guys,

This is a fantastic story and a great perspective of our team. Worth the read.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-to-perfection

Inside the Denver Broncos' building, a small but lasting memory still lingers with many players and coaches who believe this year might be different. It is a recollection of something that occurred during one of Gary Kubiak's first days on the practice field as the team's head coach earlier this year.

Kubiak gathered his team and explained a new tradition called "Wise Words." In essence, it very simply provides a nice chance for players, coaches or others in the organization to speak a few prepared thoughts at the end of most practices.

When Kubiak first introduced this new tradition, he got it started with the example that very literally set the tone for the coming months. "Life is fair -- keep working," Kubiak told the team.

He then briefly expounded on this glass-half-full mindset, noting that if you grind and you work hard and you respect the game, things usually work out. And given how the Broncos have fought their way to a 4-0 start, Kubiak's words have taken on new life within those walls.

"It was brilliant," said one person who heard the speech. "So simple but so impacting. I think it's something that you see in our team's play and attitude." But this is not merely a story about Kubiak's ability to inspire a team, to bring everyone together as a family and to empower their thoughts. It is about a team's quest to overcome a label that says it is unable to grit its way to wins in tough situations.

The first four games of 2015 have drastically changed the narrative about the Broncos and their legendary quarterback. Some might be prone to tag Denver as the team with the least-impressive 4-0 start of the six remaining undefeated teams. Buried beneath that belief, however, is a squad that is doing something so critical.

The Broncos aren't just winning. They are learning how to win with grit. "I'm a firm believer that faith moves mountains," defensive end Antonio Smith said after the team's most recent win. "The more you go out believing you will win, and you just so happen to find a win ... It builds momentum." It doesn't just build momentum. More importantly, it builds mental toughness.

Last year at this time, Denver was beginning a stretch of blowout wins marked by huge offensive numbers. It was same old, same old, with Peyton Manning cruising through the regular season. And while that's certainly not a bad thing, you could argue that the Broncos, and Manning specifically, might benefit more by winning in their 2015 fashion.

Quite bluntly, this is starting to feel a little bit like Tim Tebow's Broncos again. Ask any player in Denver's locker room, and they'll give you lines reminiscent of that 2011 season: They just trust that they'll win. Somehow. Some way. Every game, all season

"We are not finding ways to win," safety T.J. Ward said. "We are making ways to win."............................
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Kicking and screaming all the way to the Super Bowl
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

The writer compares the '15 squad to the '11 squad. Not a good year to compare us to! I get he is trying to show how we find ways to win. But if the '11 team taught us anything, it is that winning the game in the final minutes is not a sustainable style of play. And I am concerned that is precisely how we are playing in 2015.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
        The writer compares the '15 squad to the '11 squad. Not a good year to compare us to! I get he is trying to show how we find ways to win. But if the '11 team taught us anything, it is that winning the game in the final minutes is not a sustainable style of play. And I am concerned that is precisely how we are playing in 2015.
        My wife and I had the exact same conversation. You need to go out and not only have a dominant defense but you also need ot have an offense that can be marched down the field and score- especially when it is needed. We have been held to FG's when we really should have been scoring TDs

Comment

Well I do like the grit the team has, but have to disagree with coaches wisdom, Life certainly isn't always fair, but that does not mean you can not over come.
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

If we had some decent coaching instead of Foxy with his conservative play and Del Rio with his 'prevent us from winning secndary formations' we might have had a bowl win ......the team was good enough for winning it all...ther coaching was not. This team has some formidable hurdles.. number 1 is NE...going to be a tough row to hoe.

Comment

This is a good way to win, as it prepares the team for some of the dog fights that will come later in the season. With that said, the offense needs a few convincing wins to build some momentum on. Two road games before the bye, it would be nice to have something to build on with the Packers coming in after the bye.
              sigpic

Comment

This thread is legit.

And fairly fly.
                fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

Originally posted by tonray View Post
                  If we had some decent coaching instead of Foxy with his conservative play and Del Rio with his 'prevent us from winning secndary formations' we might have had a bowl win ......the team was good enough for winning it all...ther coaching was not. This team has some formidable hurdles.. number 1 is NE...going to be a tough row to hoe.
                  Aside from The Mistake everyone is up in arms about, I'm actually seriously impressed with this teams coaching staff. Surprised no one has made a thread about it yet.
                  fumpa.mybrute.com

Comment

I read this article a couple of days ago, and it made me wonder how this exact same team would have fared under the old coaching staff so far this season. 0-4 probably isn't out of the question, to be honest.

Comment

Word to Kubiak: No, Gary; life is NOT fair. Anyone who ever told you it is, was lying through their tooth. If you can't recognize the basic UNfairness of life, you will never be able to overcome the garbage it throws at you, from every direction imaginable. To overcome a problem, you have to FIRST realize there *IS* a problem, SECOND be able to recognize it as a problem, and THIRD develop a plan to overcome it. Spouting off "Life is fair ..." does none of those three things.

As to our gameplay these first four games: I'm glad our defense showed up to play all 60 minutes of each game this year. I hear "Orange Crush" being tossed out by sportscasters and sports reporters; and it pleases me.

Last edited by Grandpa; 10-10-2015, 04:50 AM.
                      --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                        Well I do like the grit the team has, but have to disagree with coaches wisdom, Life certainly isn't always fair, but that does not mean you can not over come.
                        BINGO! That grit you mention transports me back to the days of Randy Gradishar, Tom Jackson, Paul Smith, Barney Chavous, Lyle Alzado, Rubin Carter, Bob Swenson, Joe Rizzo, Billy Thompson, Louis Wright, Steve Foley, and Bernard Jackson.

We have a lot of talent on the other side of the ball, too ... vs the Vikings was impressive, to say the least. But we have to play the ENTIRE offensive part of the game like that, not just the last 2 minutes. And if Peyton doesn't get some better protection this weekend, the Raiders' D-line will own the Denver backfield, and Peyton is no Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers as a scrambling QB. Protect Manning, pull-and-block for the RB's, and fer Pete's sake quit with the mental mistakes! Doesn't do us much good to gain 12 yds and lose it PLUS 10 more yards for offensive holding.
                        Last edited by Grandpa; 10-10-2015, 05:11 AM.

Comment

At this same URL there's a SoundFX video of Von Miller.

IT IS AWESOME

It also shows how much of a leader Von has become
                          The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                            My wife and I had the exact same conversation. You need to go out and not only have a dominant defense but you also need ot have an offense that can be marched down the field and score- especially when it is needed. We have been held to FG's when we really should have been scoring TDs
                            Except...this offense has been scoring when it is needed. There have been 3 4th quarter game-tying or game-winning drives already.

Manning having a subpar year by his standards is still producing better offense than anything Tebow gave Denver. This defense is better too.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                              Except...this offense has been scoring when it is needed. There have been 3 4th quarter game-tying or game-winning drives already.

Manning having a subpar year by his standards is still producing better offense than anything Tebow gave Denver. This defense is better too.
                              No arguments on that second part. But man ... do you know how many heart attacks I've narrowly avoided over the last 55 years from 4th quarter game-tying/game-winning drives? It's a miracle I have any fingernails left at my age. Fortunately, my liver is still intact despite all the damage I've tried to do to it via Lynchberg's finest, first with the advent of the vertical striped socks and all the way through last week's 4th quarter closing drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X