• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos to release James Casey

http://www.profootballrumors.com/bro...e-james-casey/
    sigpic

Making room for Wolfe.

Why have a hybrid TE/FB if you're not gonna use him?

If I were a really creative NFL coach I'd use him in the pistol as the up back and run fakes and toss/pass fakes with him. Former QB, I bet you could do some damage on option passes with him.

Can we please see more of Green now?
    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Adam Caplan @caplannfl
      #Broncos are going to release FB James Casey, per league source.
      1:00 PM - 9 Oct 2015
      Yeah, I get it, but I'm bummed it didn't work out. Casey has been injured and I don't think he's played a snap yet. Add to that we aren't using many offensive formations that use a FB that require a position on the roster when Thompson and Green have both lined up as a FB.

Good luck Casey.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
        Making room for Wolfe.

Why have a hybrid TE/FB if you're not gonna use him?

If I were a really creative NFL coach I'd use him in the pistol as the up back and run fakes and toss/pass fakes with him. Former QB, I bet you could do some damage on option passes with him.

Can we please see more of Green now?
        What is the Up Back in Pistol?
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
          Yeah, I get it, but I'm bummed it didn't work out. Casey has been injured and I don't think he's played a snap yet. Add to that we aren't using many offensive formations that use a FB that require a position on the roster when Thompson and Green have both lined up as a FB.

Good luck Casey.
          After Gary Kubiak was named Head Coach, he said he wanted a Fullback which makes me think of a certain kind of guy. The Broncos had chances to draft and sign what I consider to be a "Fullback type", but they didn't. What they got were TEs they designated as TE/FB like James Casey, Joe Don Duncan and Dan Light.

I think Kubiak favors 12 personnel formations which can shift to 21. So, Denver has three TEs. Virgil Green has lined up everywhere, and Owen Daniels is capable of the same thing. Mitchell Henry is a rookie and we'll just need to wait and see how he lines up when he gets in.

Ronnie Hillman's 72 yard TD was to the left behind Daniels, Green and Ryan Harris on an angle blocked play.

P.S. Denver's depth chart now lists Virgil Green and FB as well as TE.
          Last edited by samparnell; 10-10-2015, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            What is the Up Back in Pistol?
            I'm confused by that as well. I'm guessing it would be either the FB in the wildcat offense (single wing offense) or the FB in the pistol, which is just FB in an offset I formation.

Sam, also something you'd appreciate, one of the teams in the league playing against our junior team is running a true single wing offense...well with a 12th player as per Canadian rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              I'm confused by that as well. I'm guessing it would be either the FB in the wildcat offense (single wing offense) or the FB in the pistol, which is just FB in an offset I formation.

Sam, also something you'd appreciate, one of the teams in the league playing against our junior team is running a true single wing offense...well with a 12th player as per Canadian rules.
              That's what I was thinking. One Pistol formation has the QB at c.4 1/2, TB at c. 7 and another RB at the same depth as the QB shaded behind the B Gap. I call it Power Pistol because it reminds me of Power I.

The guy I coached under invented a formation he called Cannon which was Pistol with two Backs lined up behind the QB at c. 4. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

Chris Ault, who invented the Pistol Offense, is a consultant with KC.

When I was coaching, we faced the following offenses just about every year: Power I; Option I; Wing-T; Split Backs Veer; Wishbone; Spread/Gun; Spread Option/Gun; Single/Double Wing; Run & Shoot; Single Back Under w/H-Back; Full House T and Stack I in GL/short yardage; and, Bunch Passing Attack combined with several rushing attacks. That's what got me started collecting playbooks. There was never a dull moment.
              Last edited by samparnell; 10-10-2015, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                That's what I was thinking. One Pistol formation has the QB at c.4 1/2, TB at c. 7 and another RB at the same depth as the QB shaded behind the B Gap. I call it Power Pistol because it reminds me of Power I.

The guy I coached under invented a formation he called Cannon which was Pistol with two Backs lined up behind the QB at c. 4. I don't think I've seen it anywhere else.

Chris Ault, who invented the Pistol Offense, is a consultant with KC.

When I was coaching, we faced the following offenses just about every year: Power I; Option I; Wing-T; Split Backs Veer; Wishbone; Spread/Gun; Spread Option/Gun; Single/Double Wing; Run & Shoot; Single Back Under w/H-Back; Full House T and Stack I in GL/short yardage; and, Bunch Passing Attack combined with several rushing attacks. That's what got me started collecting playbooks. There was never a dull moment.
                The spring team I've coached with uses pistol, but with 2 backs, QB at 4.5, FB 1 yard over with his toes at the QB's heels and then the TB at 7 yards, we've always referred to it as a pistol, offset I, that's why I've always thought of it as an offset I.

The most popular offense in Canada, at pretty much every level is 1 back spread, zone read (although at lower levels it's neither zone nor a read) and lots of passing. I always joke that the CFL hands out 1 playbook to every team at the beginning of every season because they all have the same offense. Base is pistol/shotgun Ace, with the zone read. For short yardage every single team goes under centre with a double tight. There's very little difference in offenses.

At the junior varsity level we'll see a lot of difference, such as the single wing, and fly offense, with some others that have a mish mash of various things thrown in.

Our varsity team usually sees either spread or I (lots of fly/jet motion from the spread) and the first team we played this year ran a wishbone offense. The funny thing about that is that everyone (including our team) tries to run spread with lots of zone read and fly/jet motion. However the team that runs the wishbone, usually runs that or an I with a tight end, with nothing but basic plays, but they've won the last 3 tier 1 provincial championships (equivalent to a 4A..or highest state championship) and haven't lost a game to a league opponent since the 2010 city championship game. Sometimes basic can be the best.

Comment

Working...
                X