NFL: What’s Wrong With the Denver Broncos’ Offense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Even mentioning his name should be enough to earn you a ban....
    There's a reason (somewhere) why the Jets, Patriots, and Eagles didn't keep him, or even give him the number of reps a rookie QB would have gotten before being cut.

@Papa-pwn: "Weird how they went with PFF to back their claim of it being everyone's fault but Manning's when PFF has manning rated as one of the worst QBs in the league."

Did you skip the third paragraph of the article, specifically "Is Manning partially to blame? Yes, he is, without a doubt. There is no arguing that Father Time is catching up to Manning – like he does with all players who play in the league for a decade or more."

No where in the article does it even HINT that it's everyone's fault except Manning's. They ACCURATELY spread the blame around to the entire offensive squad. You could have Jesus Christ as QB (you'd have to make it a 15-yd penalty if he ascended above the field to throw a pass, however), and He would get sacked umpteen times if the O-line and TE's block the way the current crop does. Could Manning mitigate some of that if he was more mobile? Sure; and probably take more and harder hits so far away from anyone that MIGHT decide to block a defensive player.

THE John Elway left football after getting his 2nd SB win. He was beat up, bruised, and battered; and he had an O-line that makes this one look worse than a Pop Warner O-line. Manning has TE's who didn't get the memo about half their job being to BLOCK defensive players, not let them waltz into the backfield. (I'd like to find out who told the O-line and receivers that "holding" is a good way to "block.") John had Eddie Mac, Shannon "The Mouth", and the RODster ... three RECEIVERS who laid some horrendous blocks on the opposition.

Of course, eventually Manning will have to be replaced. But let's not put the whole monkey on his back alone. The O-line needs to either step up and EARN their paychecks or get out of the game. Owning the line of scrimmage does NOT mean the 4 yards BEHIND the line of scrimmage. And they're not even "owning" that space!
    Last edited by Grandpa; 10-14-2015, 03:14 AM.
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
      I'd be happy if I never see us run another bubble screen
      Not sure if it is play design, talent execution or some combination of these but I see other teams run successful WR screens all the time.

Maybe it only works when defenses are respectful of the qb throwing deep
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
        Not sure if it is play design, talent execution or some combination of these but I see other teams run successful WR screens all the time.

Manning is getting a rep for not being a deep ball threat, so I suspect a lot of teams are anticipating the screen or short pass. If they shelved the bubble screen for a while and came back to it later in the year (like when it gets cold) they might have more success.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          Manning is getting a rep for not being a deep ball threat, so I suspect a lot of teams are anticipating the screen or short pass. If they shelved the bubble screen for a while and came back to it later in the year (like when it gets cold) they might have more success.
          There was a play where they sent Sanders in motion from right to left, and it was SO DANG OBVIOUS that a screen was coming

The short passes are becoming a problem due to their predictability. It's the same plays from the same formations over and over again.

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
            There was a play where they sent Sanders in motion from right to left, and it was SO DANG OBVIOUS that a screen was coming

The short passes are becoming a problem due to their predictability. It's the same plays from the same formations over and over again.
            I know exactly which play you're talking about. I started screaming at the TV as soon as I saw him go in motion because I knew what was coming.. PLEASE, for the love of donuts, stop it with the bubble plays!!!.. They stopped working 100 attempts ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

That could very well be the key. I've noticed the Seahawks having consistent bubble screen success like we had back when it was a new wrinkle. These days, it seems we no longer get that crucial block from the slot guy which DT would cut inside of and go off to the races. Ya, if the bubble is the most dangerous pass play in our 2015 arsenal we're in even bigger trouble than I thought
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Working...
              X