Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding the Broncos' offense - and why it isn't working (yet)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Turf Nazi View Post
    I think 18to88 is referring to Julius Thomas.
    Oops! Yes, you are right, and I was, too, except I said the wrong guy.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

    Comment


    • #32
      The only thing I would say to that is that a LB cannot cover Julius. So Julius would force teams to play Nickel vs the Broncos. If they play him with a LB then Gase/Manning would call a play to get him the ball no matter where he was lining up. When in Nickel or Dime, you can then run the ball a little better. Right now teams know that you can cover Daniels and Green with a LB and have that LB be a force in stopping the run.

      I am probably over simplifying it but a versatile TE is a QB's best friend. Just ask Tom Brady.

      Comment


      • #33
        i read this article twice, a week or so apart. and i came back to the same conclusion. PFM needs to be back in his element. the entire O is just not right. everyone that participates on this board and engages in the PFM talks should maybe reevaluate their opinion. the evidence is overwhelming. kubs is under utilizing what he has, dare i say stubbornly.

        just to sum up the article in case you missed the big point. take one of the best qb's, of all time, out of his element, he will struggle and so will the O.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
          i read this article twice, a week or so apart. and i came back to the same conclusion. PFM needs to be back in his element. the entire O is just not right. everyone that participates on this board and engages in the PFM talks should maybe reevaluate their opinion. the evidence is overwhelming. kubs is under utilizing what he has, dare i say stubbornly.

          just to sum up the article in case you missed the big point. take one of the best qb's, of all time, out of his element, he will struggle and so will the O.
          My take as well. It's a failed experiment and it's not working. Ride with what he does best for the year as he will retire.
          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
            i read this article twice, a week or so apart. and i came back to the same conclusion. PFM needs to be back in his element. the entire O is just not right. everyone that participates on this board and engages in the PFM talks should maybe reevaluate their opinion. the evidence is overwhelming. kubs is under utilizing what he has, dare i say stubbornly.

            just to sum up the article in case you missed the big point. take one of the best qb's, of all time, out of his element, he will struggle and so will the O.
            Kubiak's point was to try to rest Manning so he was fresh for the playoffs. In the past, seasons of excessive passing wore Manning down and he became less effective, particularly in the cold.

            The run game never really took off as everyone hoped it would and the result is Manning is still throwing a lot of passes-- yet to less familiar routes than before.

            The best cure as I see it is to get CJ Anderson going, get a TE engaged in the game and revert the reads back to the previous system. Without Anderson there is really no power run game. I think we will see some differences coming out of the bye as there is 7-weeks of film to study and 2-weeks to make adjustments.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by Rancid View Post
              Kubiak's point was to try to rest Manning so he was fresh for the playoffs. In the past, seasons of excessive passing wore Manning down and he became less effective, particularly in the cold.

              The run game never really took off as everyone hoped it would and the result is Manning is still throwing a lot of passes-- yet to less familiar routes than before.

              The best cure as I see it is to get CJ Anderson going, get a TE engaged in the game and revert the reads back to the previous system. Without Anderson there is really no power run game. I think we will see some differences coming out of the bye as there is 7-weeks of film to study and 2-weeks to make adjustments.
              i completely agree and understand, it's just we are not getting any results. go back to the previous passing system. PFM is being handcuffed at the line. he may have regressed a bit physically over the last two years but mentally? no. not like this. it's the philosophy. it's affecting everyone, the WRs don't look comfortable either.

              i am all for a run game, who isn't ? but this D is tremendous, as long as we can put up points, we don;t need a Ferrari or an O but we can't afford to blow it on a pinto either. we just need something that is reliable and gets the job done.

              can't find it, but remember the post game on field interview with ES? he pretty much said (i think!) -paraphrasing here-this is the O we should be running, so how good it is and how well we play in this system.

              Comment


              • #37
                Well something is happening with the O if you want to look into the extra time they spent on the practice field today. I hope all it is is that they give Manning more control at the LOS and maybe add a few rub plays.

                Comment


                • #38
                  if anyone wants to see what has been effective look at when we have moved the ball well.

                  It has been those hurry to the LOS and wear down the D because they can not substitute

                  IMO Hurry up is the answer especially at MHS.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Brandon Stokley today:

                    - The TE is not used to have to get open in his career. He is just used to always being open.
                    - There is no slot receiver on the team.
                    - There is no backfield option as an outlet to catch the ball.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by 18to88 View Post
                      Brandon Stokley today:

                      - The TE is not used to have to get open in his career. He is just used to always being open.
                      - There is no slot receiver on the team.
                      - There is no backfield option as an outlet to catch the ball.
                      1- Probably because more defenders are cheating down closer to the LOS. Daniels is probably used to having a QB that defenses respect.

                      2- there are several, manning just doesn't target them

                      3- read number 2.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I like to take my info from ex players. Stokley hasn't been the only one saying this stuff. My response to you:

                        1. This is not reflected on film.
                        2. He has targeted them, they are covered most of them.
                        3. He has targeted them a few times and completed passes (and thrown a pick six), mostly after staring down the TE or slot who are being covered.

                        I think we can all agree Manning needs to stop the INTs. Hopefully that starts this weekend.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X