Ward fined for hit on Hilton AND untucked jersey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DavisMVP View Post
    It makes me wonder, if a Roonie lott or a John Lynch could even play in todays game. Or even Atwater for that matter, but the Seahawks hit like that and no flag?
    Which would you rather have... a team that plays soft?... or a team that plays tough, hard-nosed football?... do you want the 2013 version of your team back?... or would you rather stay with the 2015 version?

Refs error on the side of conservatism when calling penalties on tough, hard-nosed teams... they just do.

It comes with the territory.
    "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Originally posted by onanygivensunda View Post
      Which would you rather have... a team that plays soft?... or a team that plays tough, hard-nosed football?... do you want the 2013 version of your team back?... or would you rather stay with the 2015 version?

Refs error on the side of conservatism when calling penalties on tough, hard-nosed teams... they just do.

It comes with the territory.
      Sure but the fines come from the league....and a fine is meant to represent a punishment for doing something wrong. So how was or is that hit wrong? Basically the league fining Ward states to all players we are a contact sport....sortta....

As a fan of both sides of the football this concerns me.

Also at what point is the lowering of ones helmet on the offensive player?
      Last edited by Rich_C; 11-12-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

That is total BS. It is a good clean hit and they take it to the limit. The NFL is getting out of control. I would hire an attorney and fight them on this one.

He takes two or three steps after catching the ball before Ward hits him so it is not hitting a defenseless receiver. Hilton clearly sees him as he duck to absorb the hit which is what cause the helmet contact in the first place.

Ward even set up his tackle to hit him in the chest and is turning away from the player as they hit.

I do not see anything in this hit that is illegal based on the rules of the NFL.
        Last edited by one_bad_55; 11-12-2015, 10:31 AM.
        sigpic
        Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
        2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
        2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
          That is total BS. It is a good clean hit and they take it to the limit. The NFL is getting out of control. I would hire an attorney and fight them on this one.

He takes two or three steps after catching the ball before Ward hits him so it is not hitting a defenseless receiver. Hilton clearly sees him as he duck to absorb the hit which is what cause the helmet contact in the first place.

Ward even set up his tackle to hit him in the chest and is turning away from the player as they hit.

I do not see anything in this hit that is illegal based on the rules of the NFL.
          The refs should have waited to watch the replay on that hit before the throwing the flag. Oh wait, they only do that if it benefits the Colts, how silly of me!

Comment

come on guy's, stop being homers. He deserves the fine and is lucky not to be looking at a 2-3 game ban.

Yea the hit was legal but he had his JERSEY UNTUCKED !!!!!!!!

Full respect to Goodell, he is tackling the BIG problems in this league.

I just hope TJ learns from this experience

Comment

This REALLY PISSES ME OFF!! Hilton CLEARLY lowers his head so as to draw a penalty which was what happened. So what now. Besides, the hit to the head is a no no now now because of concussions. But now we have lacerated kidneys.

Rodger Girl-dell will have the NFL a flag football team before you can say Ouchie wa wa.

Comment

In 10 years the NFL will be flag football at the rate they are going.
                sigpic

Comment

If one player can take it to a judge, then all them us can. Exonerate Ward!!! Free Talib!!!
                  [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                    come on guy's, stop being homers. He deserves the fine and is lucky not to be looking at a 2-3 game ban.

Yea the hit was legal but he had his JERSEY UNTUCKED !!!!!!!!

Full respect to Goodell, he is tackling the BIG problems in this league.

I just hope TJ learns from this experience
                    This is the problem....what is there to learn? Even Kubiak stated in an INTERVIEW that he felt Ward did exactly what he was supposed to. The un-tucked Jersey...fine I get it but a fine for the hit on Hilton is nothing shy of stupid and a poor decision by the NFL's League office.

What I would like to see is a penalty on the offensive side of the ball for lowering your head prior to impact. Again if the league is truly wanting to prevent concussions then lets see it...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                      This is the problem....what is there to learn? Even Kubiak stated in an INTERVIEW that he felt Ward did exactly what he was supposed to. The un-tucked Jersey...fine I get it but a fine for the hit on Hilton is nothing shy of stupid and a poor decision by the NFL's League office.

What I would like to see is a penalty on the offensive side of the ball for lowering your head prior to impact. Again if the league is truly wanting to prevent concussions then lets see it...
                      I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm on bronx's part.

Comment

Offense sells tickets, the nfl is trying everything they can do stop our defense from playing the way they do. I don't believe it's a coincidence that all of our penalties came on the defense against the Colts after we dominated Rodgers

Comment

Shouldn't have been flagged, and absolutely should not be a fine.

It was a LEGAL hit, and its not even close. I seriously don't see how anyone can defend Goodell anymore. He has done a terrible job.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                            See this is not it for me...for some reason the NFL is applying the rules much much differently to other teams and what is getting fined and what isn't. So my question is why Ward?- he had an incident when he first came to Denver could that be it?

I ask because the Seahawks have had plays like this for the last three seasons including this one and I have rarely seen flags let alone fines. For me I file this in the same category as the player discipline. You either fine everyone evenly or not at all.
                            Pretty sure that the Seahawks are one of the most penalized teams in the league this and the last couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              Offense sells tickets, the nfl is trying everything they can do stop our defense from playing the way they do. I don't believe it's a coincidence that all of our penalties came on the defense against the Colts after we dominated Rodgers
                              I disagree with the bolded text. Seattle has sold quite a few tickets with a top 5 defense these past few years. In fact they have won or played in the superbowl twice in that same timeframe. So IMO- Winning sells tickets or in some cases the hope of winning sells tickets. The Broncos win an awful lot and so as a result we sell a ton of tickets. Ditto for the Pats. Other teams not so much. I also think that with the surge of fantasy and stats being such a big market these days that there is a growing number of fans who are more in-tune with the finer details of the game. As a result the defense is being talked about more. As are the defensive players.

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                              Pretty sure that the Seahawks are one of the most penalized teams in the league this and the last couple of years.
                              refs making decisions is in my opinion much different than the ones made by the league office. A ref is tasked with making a quick on-the-fly snap decision. They always lean on the side of conservative play calls (except when it is on us it seems). The league office is supposed to have the luxury of clarity....This fine on Ward is more like insanity. So sure I can agree that GREAT defenses will be penalized but it is the fines by the league which need to be addressed.

Comment

I can sort of understand the refs flagging the play in real time, but when you look at the replay Ward clearly led with his shoulder, and Hilton clearly ducked into the blow. This fine makes no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                                X