X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peyton Manning's Passing Records Matter

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...the-haters-say

A good read, regarding the future HOF QB of the Denver Broncos

Every other month or so I hear some report that people inside the building know how important these records are to PM

I am curious...just how important are they?

3 of the last 4 games we are passing twice as often as running (121 pass attempts vs 65 running attempts) even tho 52 (43%) of these pass plays got at best an incompletion...at worse a sack or int.

Records are good and all but I question how much the desire to get these records effects what we do on game day.

The records will come one way or another this year imo.

How about lets win some games and allow the records to come on their own time.
    Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
      Every other month or so I hear some report that people inside the building know how important these records are to PM

3 of the last 4 games we are passing twice as often as running (121 pass attempts vs 65 running attempts) even tho 52 (43%) of these pass plays got at best an incompletion...at worse a sack or int.

Records are good and all but I question how much the desire to get these records effects what we do on game day.

Is Peyton still calling the plays? I thought Kubiak took over the offense in 2015.
      I can't answer your primary question, can anyone else?

Comment

I think the records are very important to him, as they would to to most. That being said I really to think he "chases" them when they get close. Just my 2 cents but when I found out about the rehearsed keep away game celebration......well who rehearse something that should have been brief, spontaneous, and at that point, really just a matter of course... He values these records too much..IMO
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
          I think the records are very important to him, as they would to to most. That being said I really to think he "chases" them when they get close. Just my 2 cents but when I found out about the rehearsed keep away game celebration......well who rehearse something that should have been brief, spontaneous, and at that point, really just a matter of course... He values these records too much..IMO
          That keep away thing was bizarre.

Comment

Maybe once he gets that this last one, he will be more likely to be sat in favor of Oz if Peyton continues to throw INTs and not put up enough points before the playoffs. Just making this comment in case it does happen.
            ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

The Chronology of the passing yards record. The best of what I can put together, as game logs are not available prior to 1960 or thereabouts.

We will start with Sammy Baugh, the first truly great QB (along with Sid Luckman).
              Baugh was the first to break the 20,000 yard barrier, and finished with 21,866 through the 1954 season, when he retired. That's our starting point.

1954 - Baugh sets modern mark of 21,866
              1955 - Otto Graham passes Baugh in the 1st game of the 1955 season.
              1955 - Graham retires with 23,584
              1960 - Norm Van Brocklin and Bobby Layne both pass Graham's mark.
              1961 - YA Tittle passes Van Brocklin but trails Layne
              1962 - Tittle passes Layne during season, Layne retires, after 1962 season.
              1963 - Tittle becomes first QB to pass the 30,000 barrier.
              1964 - Tittle finishes career with 33,070
              1968 - John Unitas, during his (mostly absent) 1968 season, passes Tittle on Dec 1, 1968 against the Atlanta Falcons.
              1973- Unitas becomes first QB to pass the 40,000 barrier on September 30, 1973, against the Cincinnati Bengals (Unitas was playing for the Chargers)
              1973 - Unitas retires with 40,239
              1976 - Fran Tarkenton passes Unitas on October 31, 1976 at Chicago
              1978 - Tarkenton retires with 47,003
              1995 - Dan Marino passes Tarkenton on November 12, 1995 vs. New England.
              1996 - Marino becomes first QB to pass the 50,000 barrier on November 10, 1996 vs. Indianapolis
              1999 - Marino becomes first QB to pass the 60,000 barrier on October 17, 1999, vs. New England
              1999 - Marino retires with 61,361
              2007 - Brett Favre passes Marino on December 15, 2007, vs. StL Rams.
              2010 - Favre becomes first QB to pass the 70,000 barrier on October 11, 2010 at the NY Jets.
              2010 - Favre retires with 71,838
              2015 - Peyton Manning passes Favre on November 15, 2015 vs. the KC Chiefs

So if we summarize like a "boxing champ" titleholder:

Baugh -1940s-54
              Graham - 1955-1960
              Layne-Van Brocklin - 1960 shared title (essentially)
              Layne - 1961-62
              Tittle - 1962-68
              Unitas - 1968-76
              Tarkenton - 1976-95
              Marino - 1995-2007
              Favre - 2007-15
              Manning - 2015-?

Comment

Originally posted by TheArtofManning View Post
                http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...the-haters-say

A good read, regarding the future HOF QB of the Denver Broncos
                I think he'll go in the HOF as a Colt though...

Comment

Originally posted by furi0usbee View Post
                  Players go in the HOF as individuals and not as members of a team.
                  Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    Players go in the HOF as individuals and not as members of a team.
                    Except they don't. He will sign and retire a Colt. His legacy was created and he did his best work with Colts. Denver was just a last stop for him.

Comment

Except they don't. He will sign and retire a Colt. His legacy was created and he did his best work with Colts. Denver was just a last stop for him.
                      I don't know about that. Whether people realize it or not, Peyton's release and the drunken comments later made by Irsay, which was nothing but an example of throwing stones for no reason at all, left a lasting impression. I'm not saying people won't automatically recognize Peyton Manning as being a Colt once he's in the HOF, but I think it's a bit of a stretch to think he'd sign a one day contract with Indianapolis. I personally think that bridge has been burned. Meanwhile, Irsay's Colts have not won any Super Bowls, even though they've rid themselves of the "Star Wars" numbers.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think Brett Favre retired as a Packer. I could be wrong, though.

Comment

Not if Denver wins the Superbowl this year!

Comment

Players in the NFL do not go in as part of a team....they go in as a player. He might chose to wear a Colts jersey but he goes to the HOF as Manning who played for the colts and Broncos
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post

Hey bud. Perhaps records matter too much to him, but we've only lost 1 game, and it was not nearly all his fault.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              Hey bud. Perhaps records matter too much to him, but we've only lost 1 game, and it was not nearly all his fault.
                              They play together as a team they lose as a team

Comment

Working...
                              X