Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning Looking To Become NFL Executive

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...l-media#Peyton

1) Peyton's presence looms. Most believe Peyton Manning will hang 'em up after this season. Well, there's also a widely held assumption in NFL circles that -- with all the turnover expected to come across the league in January -- Manning could well re-emerge as a leading executive in 2016.

The most bandied about landing spots are Cleveland (because of Manning's relationship with Browns owner/University of Tennessee booster Jimmy Haslam) and Tennessee (because of Manning's connections to the university, and his wife's presence as part owner of the Memphis Grizzlies), with Indianapolis (his longtime home) and New Orleans (his native soil) not to be completely discounted.

The larger question here is how effective an ex-player can be moving quickly into a powerful decision-making role. It has worked in the NBA and MLB, but there's not as much history with it in football. In fact, the place where it's worked best might be where Manning is now: Denver. And so I dug back into my notes and through a conversation I had with Broncos president Joe Ellis shortly after John Elway was hired as executive vice president of football operations back in 2011.

"I think the biggest thing that needed to be fixed was football leadership," Ellis told me then. "We had a void in that area. We needed someone who had the right competitive fire, who could draw respect, and come in and oversee all of football for Pat Bowlen. You can have a strong head coach, or a strong general manager, and have them report directly to the owner. That can be successful.

But this is the way we're going." Elway, for his part, wasn't as inexperienced as Manning would be. The Bronco legend ran Denver's Arena Football League franchise for a time, served as a consultant to Bowlen in the five years leading up to his hire, and brought business experience from his chain of car dealerships. But it does seem that some of the things that the Broncos wanted in Elway -- see: football leadership -- Manning might be able to bring. One key for Manning, of course, would be an ability to "know what you don't know," something Elway showed in learning the scouting side of the business.

But it's easy to figure someone with Manning's football acumen would be able to figure things out on the fly, so long as the right structure existed around him. And it's equally simple to see why, like Elway was for Denver, Manning might be an enticing risk for someone.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...l-media#Peyton

1) Peyton's presence looms. Most believe Peyton Manning will hang 'em up after this season. Well, there's also a widely held assumption in NFL circles that -- with all the turnover expected to come across the league in January -- Manning could well re-emerge as a leading executive in 2016.

The most bandied about landing spots are Cleveland (because of Manning's relationship with Browns owner/University of Tennessee booster Jimmy Haslam) and Tennessee (because of Manning's connections to the university, and his wife's presence as part owner of the Memphis Grizzlies), with Indianapolis (his longtime home) and New Orleans (his native soil) not to be completely discounted.

The larger question here is how effective an ex-player can be moving quickly into a powerful decision-making role. It has worked in the NBA and MLB, but there's not as much history with it in football. In fact, the place where it's worked best might be where Manning is now: Denver. And so I dug back into my notes and through a conversation I had with Broncos president Joe Ellis shortly after John Elway was hired as executive vice president of football operations back in 2011.

"I think the biggest thing that needed to be fixed was football leadership," Ellis told me then. "We had a void in that area. We needed someone who had the right competitive fire, who could draw respect, and come in and oversee all of football for Pat Bowlen. You can have a strong head coach, or a strong general manager, and have them report directly to the owner. That can be successful.

But this is the way we're going." Elway, for his part, wasn't as inexperienced as Manning would be. The Bronco legend ran Denver's Arena Football League franchise for a time, served as a consultant to Bowlen in the five years leading up to his hire, and brought business experience from his chain of car dealerships. But it does seem that some of the things that the Broncos wanted in Elway -- see: football leadership -- Manning might be able to bring. One key for Manning, of course, would be an ability to "know what you don't know," something Elway showed in learning the scouting side of the business.

But it's easy to figure someone with Manning's football acumen would be able to figure things out on the fly, so long as the right structure existed around him. And it's equally simple to see why, like Elway was for Denver, Manning might be an enticing risk for someone.
    Nice Post. Frankly, I'd like to see Peyton stick around here. I know it isn't likely, but I'd like to see the Bowlen family relinquish a controlling share of the franchise. And I can't think of a better duo than John Elway and Peyton Manning.

I'm having a hard time imagining Pat Bowlen's wife taking over. And the idea that his son, who had recent difficulties with the Police, would be running the Franchise makes me ill. Sadly, the only way I can see Manning and Elway getting their hands on a percentage of the Broncos would be if the Franchise was taken Public, similar to Green Bay. I doubt if even Elway and Manning have a cool $500 million to invest.

Comment

By "executive" what do they mean? Owner? Does Peyton have that kind of cash?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mora View Post
        Not without a billion or so taken off the purchase price. lol

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoSynapses View Post
          Not without a billion or so taken off the purchase price. lol
          Yeah, I didn't think so.

Comment

Same thing as Elway. He was basically our CEO before becoming our GM. They are talking about Manning taking a front office role similar to what Elway did here.
            sigpic

Comment

Perhaps you might want to read the article, yeah?

Comment

I can't see Peyton becoming a GM. You need to have a good eye for evaluating athletes and athletic potential.

Peyton does know X's and O's. He would have the knowledge to coach. But Peyton might feel that job is beneath him. Offensive coordinators don't make GM kind of money.
                Last edited by Jim Mora; 11-16-2015, 06:43 AM.

Comment

I can't see Peyton becoming a GM. You need to have a good eye for evaluating athletes and athletic potential.

Peyton does know X's and O's. He would have the knowledge to coach. But Peyton might feel that job is beneath him. Offensive coordinators don't make GM kind of money.
                  Yeah, whatever. Breer thinks otherwise and doesn't have the bias you do.

He was interviewed yesterday on one of the Boston sports shows and talked at length about what he'd bring to the table for a team. He did say that he does need much more experience but that he certainly has the connections to get people to teach him what he doesn't know.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    Yeah, whatever. Breer thinks otherwise and doesn't have the bias you do.

He was interviewed yesterday on one of the Boston sports shows and talked at length about what he'd bring to the table for a team. He did say that he does need much more experience but that he certainly has the connections to get people to teach him what he doesn't know.
                    Well if somebody has to teach Peyton how to evaluate athletes for certain positions, why not go out and hire that guy instead? Because that guy has the years and experience of observing and evaluating talent.

I just see Peyton's skill as the X's and O's and not the guy that can find the diamond in the rough as far as football talent goes.

Comment

Well if somebody has to teach Peyton how to evaluate athletes for certain positions, why not go out and hire that guy instead? Because that guy has the years and experience of observing and evaluating talent.

I just see Peyton's skill as the X's and O's and not the guy that can find the diamond in the rough as far as football talent goes.
                      Dude you know nothing, it's almost like you go out of your way to knock on Manning. You have no idea what Peyton's skills are beyond playing. I don't know why you constantly find the need to downgrade him.

Comment

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                        Dude you know nothing, it's almost like you go out of your way to knock on Manning. You have no idea what Peyton's skills are beyond playing. I don't know why you constantly find the need to downgrade him.
                        Look man, some coaches are bad gm's and some gm's are bad coaches. And some former players are not good gm's. I'm telling you, Peyton would be a great offensive coordinator. But I can't see him being the guy that finds the steals in the draft. I've observed Peyton for a long time and I believe that's accurate.

Comment

Look man, some coaches are bad gm's and some gm's are bad coaches. And some former players are not good gm's. I'm telling you, Peyton would be a great offensive coordinator. But I can't see him being the guy that finds the steals in the draft. I've observed Peyton for a long time and I believe that's accurate.
                          Well hot damn, good thing you are not involved in any of these decisions. You sit behind your keyboard just waiting to knock on the man. The truth is, you have no reason to think he would not fit that job well. You have "observes" him? So what have you found during your many years of observations that has lead to to believe this? You know nothing, you don't like the man, and you look for every opportunity to degrade him, you are a keyboard warrior, sitting there hiding behind that monitor. What have you found that makes you believe Peyton could not fit that job well?

Comment

Originally posted by SMR81 View Post
                            Well hot damn, good thing you are not involved in any of these decisions. You sit behind your keyboard just waiting to knock on the man. The truth is, you have no reason to think he would not fit that job well. You have "observes" him? So what have you found during your many years of observations that has lead to to believe this? You know nothing, you don't like the man, and you look for every opportunity to degrade him, you are a keyboard warrior, sitting there hiding behind that monitor. What have you found that makes you believe Peyton could not fit that job well?
                            Peyton is an x's and o's type of guy. And that skill lends itself to an offensive coordinator position. He's not the type that would be good at evaluating athletic potential. Peyton is a bookworm, not a guy that uses the eye test to evaluate the hidden athletic talent in athletes and project on their athletic potential.

Comment

I have to side with Jim on this one guys...I have seen nothing to show that Manning has the slightest idea on how to evaluate talent, he does know a heck of a lot about the x's and o's of football so it would make much more logical sense for him to pursue a career in coaching, most likely as a coordinator somewhere.

Set aside your opinions of Jim's bias and look at it rationally. Manning really is a X's and O's kind of guy, despite his bias against Manning, he's making a good point in this manner.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X