Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiszla: Peyton Manning has been set up for failure

Wow. What do you guys think of this?

What makes it hurt so much to watch Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning suffer? Everything. Everything hurts, from Manning's busted left foot to his dinged right shoulder and his damaged pride.

All those ailments can be fixed. What's really strained, and might be beyond repair, is the uneasy relationship between the Hall of Fame quarterback and a team that's been trying to nudge Manning out the door in Denver since the beginning of 2015.

Manning refused to take the hint and walk away rather than return to suffer through his worst NFL season. Broncos general manager John Elway does not escape blame; the Denver front office set up Manning for failure. But now it's a mess. Trust between team management and Manning has taken more hard shots than the 39-year-old quarterback's aching body.

Nobody, not even Manning, knows for certain whether he will ever be the starting quarterback for the Broncos again. It's out of his hands. Health, coach Gary Kubiak and the effectiveness of new starter Brock Osweiler will determine Manning's fate.

This is a strange, uncomfortable place to be for Manning, who has controlled the chaos at the line of scrimmage more masterfully than anybody else during the past 18 NFL seasons. After getting embarrassed, then getting benched in a 29-13 loss to Kansas City on Sunday, Manning stood with his back to the wall in the Denver locker room. Never have I heard a man who always seemed to have all the answers on the football field look so lost or sound so defeated.

"By going out there trying to help the team, I ended up hurting the team," Manning said. "I'm disappointed about that."

Whether the call by Manning to play against the Chiefs was courageous or foolhardy, he was called into Kubiak's office Monday and told to take a seat ... until further notice. More disappointment for Manning: The coach benched him for the next game in Chicago. As Kubiak admitted, it wasn't the news Manning wanted to hear.

So what else is new? The truth is the Broncos have done almost nothing in 2015 that has catered to Manning's wishes. The team cut his salary by $4 million. In Kubiak, Denver hired a coach whose offensive philosophy did not fit Manning's skill set. Elway took an inexperienced offensive line to training camp and refused to make a trade to acquire Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas at the trade deadline, which put an immobile quarterback in a very tough position.

Almost everything the team has done, right down to the insistence that a perfectionist give up his repetitions at Wednesday practices, screams the Broncos were ambivalent, at best, about Manning as the leader of a championship push.

It stinks to hear Manning sound so disconsolate after the way he has been treated so shoddily, as just another disposable part in the NFL machine. So now we feel sorry for Manning, diminished as an athlete but no less beloved, because he's an altruistic benefactor to the children battling cancer in an Indiana hospital and also the quiet hero who kept alive the memory of "Chattanooga Five" by writing the shooting victims' names on his shoes before games.

But here's the deal, and it's a messy reality that's hard to accept for an NFL nation that loves Manning. There's very little room for sentimentality in pro football, especially when Denver is chasing a championship and a broken-down Manning is too slow to keep up.

Blame his shaky offensive line or a torn plantar fascia in his left foot, but all that matters now is Manning cannot help Denver win the Super Bowl if he's throwing interceptions at a higher rate than any other quarterback in the league.

Watching Manning evokes the same, sad vibe there was to the final season of Champ Bailey, whose Hall of Fame spirit was willing but his body was unable during the final months of 2013. Manning's ugly 67.6 quarterback rating is worth mentioning, if only because it's lower than the 72.9 that Tim Tebow posted in 2011, when Elway decided to dump a hugely popular quarterback whose performance was deemed too weak to lead the Broncos to their ultimate goal.

Although he considered retirement, Manning loved the game too much to quit after last season. Although the Broncos slashed their veteran quarterback's pay, Elway did not have to the heart to tell Manning to get lost before this season. The result is an organization with one foot trying to gain traction for the future and the other foot stuck in concrete of the past, which is a good way for everybody to go nowhere fast.

Love of the game and decisions made by the heart rather than the head got Elway and Manning in this mess. There's no easy way out. The Broncos warned Manning repeatedly not to try to do too much this season. This offensive scheme is tailored to Osweiler's skill set. If Osweiler performs smartly and reliably against the Bears, will Kubiak really give the job back to the league's 31st-rated passer against New England the next week?

It would be crazy for the Broncos to bring back Manning before he's healthy enough to play without excuses. The uneasy relationship between Manning and the team could not survive another benching.

Way back in 1998, Elway missed four regular-season starts with a barking hamstring and bruised ribs, then rode off into an orange sunset wearing a Super Bowl ring.

Hey, we all want a fairy-tale ending for Manning.

But that's not the way to bet.
    http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_...ing-up-failure

The NFL and all other pro sports are a pure meritocracy which is why we watch and care. The best athletes play regardless of race, age, upbringing, etc. if Brock plays better in the next few games then he starts the rest of the season. That is fair and that is how it works in sports whether you are a Hall of Famer or a rookie.. Peyton knows this even though he might not like it. By the way the Broncos bent over backwards for Peyton by installing a hybrid offense so he wouldn't be under center. and trying to establish a running game to take the pressure off him. In addition, they paid him 15 million dollars with an additional 2 million in incentives.

Manning knew about the coaching changes and the type of direction things were going in DURING THE OFFSEASON. These changes didnt just come about out of the blue. He knew what he was getting himself into and took on the challenge. He bet on himself and lost (so far). Manning was a top 5 QB prior to his injury last season, so Elway was open to giving him another shot after he healed. No one is to blame in this situation.

Comment

Eh, Kiszla is just looking for a story to write. In no way, have the Denver Broncos set up Manning for failure. I could go through his points, but it's a waste of time. If anyone really thinks this organization with Elway has set up Manning for failure needs a reality check.

Comment

Kizla is a joke, they will pay anyone to report. Cant stand this guy, i rarely read his articles, i unfollowed him on all social media a while ago cause i just cant listen to his garbage

Comment

Kizla wrote it? It's probably trash...
          sigpic

Comment

I agree completely with what Kiszla said, I have been saying it since we first got whiff that Denver just wanted Kubiak.

The fact that Elway let a guy like Joe Thomas slip through his hands for something as silly as what we have been told, but jumped out of his chair to grab Davis is beyond me. Now we are hearing that Vernon is "confused" but his lack of playing time, well I am too dude...

We knew our tackles were going to be the weak link of this team, but instead of going after another tackle with go get Mathis to replace a kid that was looking pretty good in pre-season and camp?

It was the Tackles that looked like crap and continue to do so...

Don't get me started on Kubiak in the first place who as head coach I do not believe has ever had a top 10 offense... Let alone Top 5....

The whole thing stinks if you ask me, and the smell is coming from Elway and Companies shoes.

Comment

I think Manning's age and body set him up for failure more than Kubiak or Elway. But that's just my opinion.
              sigpic
              2013 Adopted Bronco - Duke Ihenacho

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
                I agree completely with what Kiszla said, I have been saying it since we first got whiff that Denver just wanted Kubiak.

The fact that Elway let a guy like Joe Thomas slip through his hands for something as silly as what we have been told, but jumped out of his chair to grab Davis is beyond me. Now we are hearing that Vernon is "confused" but his lack of playing time, well I am too dude...

We knew our tackles were going to be the weak link of this team, but instead of going after another tackle with go get Mathis to replace a kid that was looking pretty good in pre-season and camp?

Don't get me started on Kubiak in the first place who as head coach I do not believe has ever had a top 10 offense... Let alone Top 5....

The whole thing stinks if you ask me, and the smell is coming from Elway and Companies shoes.
                Peyton Manning got old, it's Elway and Kubiak's fault ...
                sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNbake View Post
                  I think Manning's age and body set him up for failure more than Kubiak or Elway. But that's just my opinion.
                  I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post

I think there is some truth to the article and what you are saying but not the headline of the article.

There is just NO WAY Elway could have predicted everything that has gone on with the OL and even with it all he has tried to fix the problem short of selling the future for Joe Thomas.

Comment

Being prepared for this situation and planning it to sink manning are 2 different things! I have long said that Elway had to let Manning play bad enough that the fans would never call for him over Brock for the rest of the year. Guess what, it happened, Mannings body can't play as much as his spirit wants him too and it happens to every athlete of Mannings caliber. He got old and Elway was prepared. That's all.
                      A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Kizla is an idiot who's only goal in life is to start trouble where there isn't any. That is the lowest form of scum even lower than cannibalism!

Comment

Pretty sure coming into the season, Elway never expected Ryan Clady to have a season ending injury. That was one ding to the offense. Pretty sure he never expected to draft an offensive tackle in Ty Sambrailo with a high pick, and watch him go down for the entire season with an injury. And just for the icing on the cake, didn't Elway bring Evan Mathis (a player who ranked as the top LG in all of pro football a few seasons ago) to help bring leadership and stability to the offensive line?

So I disagree with Kiszla. Elway and company made moves in an attempt to help Manning. Heck, we even signed Manning's top receiver in DT to a long term extension to solidify that part of the offense. All of those moves was the Broncos and Elway trying to set him up for success.

Unfortunately things happen such as injuries. AND, the decline of 39 year old quarterbacks....

Comment

What did they ask him to do that was so bad? Play from under center, hand the ball off more, maybe roll out here and there. That is so horrible Manning knew what was coming and its not like he has never worked from under center before. I personally believe Elway, Kubes and Manning all thought that there would be some growing pains but that it would work. When it wasn't they tried a hybrid to work with Manning and I'm sure they all thought that would get better with time too. It didn't. I don't think any one of them thought it would come to this. Unfortuanately, it has. And Elway tried to get Thomas but he was not going to make the mistake many former gms have and sell the future. Notice the word former. I don't think this was anyones fault, it just wasn't meant to be the way everyone wanted it to be. Life happens
                            Last edited by FL BRONCO; 11-18-2015, 07:07 AM.
                            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post
                              Pretty sure coming into the season, Elway never expected Ryan Clady to have a season ending injury. That was one ding to the offense. Pretty sure he never expected to draft an offensive tackle in Ty Sambrailo with a high pick, and watch him go down for the entire season with an injury. And just for the icing on the cake, didn't Elway bring Evan Mathis (a player who ranked as the top LG in all of pro football a few seasons ago) to help bring leadership and stability to the offensive line?

So I disagree with Kiszla. Elway and company made moves in an attempt to help Manning. Heck, we even signed Manning's top receiver in DT to a long term extension to solidify that part of the offense. All of those moves was the Broncos and Elway trying to set him up for success.

Unfortunately things happen such as injuries. AND, the decline of 39 year old quarterbacks....
                              Not to mention the TE we drafted for this offense who went out for the year.
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                              X