Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Denver Broncos want Peyton Manning to focus on rehab and treatment

Here's more fuel for the fire of what happened in that "dinner meeting"

The Denver Broncos want Peyton Manning to focus on rehab and treatment so much that they don't want him involved in any way as the Broncos prepare for their game against the Chicago Bears.

James Palmer of NFL Media reported on TNF Gameday that the Broncos are keeping Manning out of the loop with Brock Osweiler set to make his first career start in Chicago on Sunday (h/t Dan Hanzus of NFL.com). Manning has not been at any practices this week, nor has he had any conversations with Osweiler leading up to this weekend.

According to Hanzus, Palmer said over two dozen Broncos players have told him there's no set timetable for when Manning will come back. These same players also don't know the extent of Manning's injuries but figure the foot is the biggest concern.

All of this is the work of Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak, according to Palmer, and it's unclear if Manning will even make the trip with the team to Soldier Field.

Manning is suffering from a torn plantar fascia and will miss his first start since 2011, his final season with the Indianapolis Colts, which he sat out after undergoing neck surgery. The new recordholder for career passing yards is coming off a four-interception performance against the Kansas City Chiefs in which Coach Kubiak benched him for Osweiler.

It makes no sense to ice Manning out of practices and quarterback meetings. He's Peyton Manning. He only has 18 years of experience that he could lend to Osweiler as he starts under center for the first time in his four-year career. This sounds like another episode in the continuous power struggle between Manning and Kubiak, which has carried on since the season began.

Manning may not be the same, but to keep him out of the loop comes off as a sign of disrespect.

If this is true, it makes things very interesting. I don't agree with the writers notion that it's "disrespect", though. When you make this kind of move, with that caliber of player, you need to give both their space. This signals that this is Brock team moving forward and he needs to take command of the team on his own.

We'll see if more tenured sources report more on this.
    #swapping

Interesting. Thanks for article

Comment

all the article states is that PFM is not with the team. i get it, give Os some breathing room. after that it's a lot of speculation.

Comment

This is very weird. If the article is true, it could potentially get ugly.

Comment

That's not okay. I'm sorry but I don't care if he have an injury, he has to be at meetings and practice. It's literally his job.

This would piss me off if I was his teammate. Look at Big Ben with the steelers. When he was hurt he was involved on the sidelines during the game, evaluating the defense and drawing up plays. Peyton on the other hand is collecting his millions chilling at home.

He's potentially sealing his fate by doing this. Or maybe after that dinner with Elway it's already sealed?

Comment

I think there is more speculation in this one article then there is across all the threads on this forum
            My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Actual photo of Manning at today's practice:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
                Actual photo of Manning at today's practice:

Do you know the way to Omaha????

Comment

Not sure, seems like a pretty speculative piece of written material. With that said, there are plenty of ways for Manning to help out without being "seen" by the media...

Comment

Ware is made to do the same thing. There is no story here and it has already been shut down by actual Denver media.

They have a bunch of offensive coaches. Manning is not needed. It is not his system. Manning clearly made himself available to Brock if Brock needed him. This is standard procedure.

Comment

typical media just looking for a story

Comment

Originally posted by 18to88 View Post
                        Ware is made to do the same thing. There is no story here and it has already been shut down by actual Denver media.

They have a bunch of offensive coaches. Manning is not needed. It is not his system. Manning clearly made himself available to Brock if Brock needed him. This is standard procedure.
                        That is not true. Ware was still involved and definitely made the flights to both away games(Cleveland and Oakland) during his injury. There's pictures of him dressed up with his teammates bording the plane. Somehow I think a back injury would require at least just as much treatment as a Hutton arch in your foot.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMoth View Post
                          That's not okay. I'm sorry but I don't care if he have an injury, he has to be at meetings and practice. It's literally his job.

This would piss me off if I was his teammate. Look at Big Ben with the steelers. When he was hurt he was involved on the sidelines during the game, evaluating the defense and drawing up plays. Peyton on the other hand is collecting his millions chilling at home.

He's potentially sealing his fate by doing this. Or maybe after that dinner with Elway it's already sealed?
                          Why are you making it out to be Manning's fault, when the article clearly puts the decision on the team?

I don't know that I believe the story is true.

It might not be that Manning is being frozen out. It could just be that they want him focused on rehab. I'm sure Oz has Manning's phone number if he has questions that he feels more comfortable asking Manning than the coaches.
                          My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                          You Mad Bro?
                          Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I can only hope this issue is being overblown. Because if this is truly going on behind the scenes then it is disturbing the relationships are so strained that Manning is not available to encourage and support his teammates. .

I can understand that Manning is disappointed with how this season has gone and upset about being "rested" to rehab his injuries. I can even get that he and Osweiller are not best buddies and hanging out talking football. And conflict between Kubiak and Manning understandable due to the "blending" of the offensive philosophies not working. I could easily see a lot of frustration behind the scenes.

But if Manning is not at practices, meetings or in Chicago it would be pretty damning in my opinion.

He is the team leader. The teammate "you go to battle with" or every other teammate cliche. But even as he rehabs he can not be supporting his teammates. Even the ones not named Brock.

Starting to see this storyline from multiple sources. Anyone have a clear idea if it one regurgitated source or many finding out from several angles? It has been sad to see Manning going out the way he is on the filed. I would hope it does carry over to a controversial negative ending off the field too.

Comment

Gotta love the media...
                              [sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X