Klee: Ready for Brady-Osweiler? Broncos must start Brock vs. Patriots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klee: Ready for Brady-Osweiler? Broncos must start Brock vs. Patriots

http://gazette.com/klee-ready-for-br...rticle/1564084.

Pretty good article talking about todays win and looking forward to next week vs the patriots.

Do you believe Brock is ready for the task at hand? I definitely do! But I have to ask and I know it is early but in your honest opinion how much of a chance does Denver have to beat NE next week with Osweiler at the helm?

CHICAGO - He looked the part. And yes, that matters. It all matters.

On a Sunday to remember, Brock Osweiler turned 25, then he turned heads. On the sideline, after a stalled drive, he tracked down Demaryius Thomas, whom he had overthrown. Osweiler draped his long, capable arm over DT's shoulder and, patting his own chest like "my bad," took the blame for the misfire.

"He's a leader," running back C.J. Anderson said.

He sounded the part. Three-plus seasons behind Peyton Manning, who has never lost a press conference, and Osweiler clearly took notes. "I have not wasted a single day behind Peyton," he said. His clichéd, crafted answers after Denver's 17-15 win against the Bears at Soldier Field came straight from the school of Russell Wilson. (The Broncos drafted Osweiler ahead of Wilson, remember, way back when.) Lots of "run the football," "for the football team," and, finally, "at the end of the day." Nothing too flashy. Nothing to poke the Bears, or the Patriots. Osweiler's presence at the podium - and a speech to his entire team the night before his first NFL start - felt entirely comfortable.

Related:
    Osweiler throws for 2 TDs, Broncos hold off Bears
    "It did not look like a guy in his first game out," coach Gary Kubiak said.

And Brock Nation should keep the part. That's the only sensible answer to the quarterback question facing Denver leading into a showdown against the Patriots.

Even if Manning's myriad injuries are magically healed, the Broncos should stick with the backup. Sorry, TV networks: Who's ready for Brady-Osweiler?

"I knew that (question) was coming," Kubiak said.

The coach remained noncommittal to the question that figures to shadow this season until it ends: Will it be the Sheriff, or the Deputy?

"Here's the deal.." Kubiak said, then added a bunch of nothing.

Expect a firm answer Monday.

Brock made his pitch. Under the towering shadows of the incomparable Chicago skyline, in a 20-degree wind chill that threatened to freeze over Lake Michigan by nightfall, against a former Denver quarterback who still hasn't learned it all matters, the Broncos stood tall behind their tall Montanan.

The Broncos don't need Osweiler to be Peyton Manning. They need him to not be Jay Cutler. When it was over, as he knotted his purple-plaid necktie and accessorized with purple dress socks, Osweiler was notable for what he didn't do: Throw interceptions (zero), drop fumbles (zero), lose games (he's 1-0).

"What we needed to do was go play clean football," Kubiak said.

Osweiler's line was conspicuous by what was absent: 20 of 27, 250 yards, two touchdown and.. no turnovers. The Broncos played a whole game without a turnover for the first time. The Bears quarterback had two, and lost by two.

One fumble caromed to Malik Jackson ("I'm an honorary member of the 'No Fly Zone,'" he announced); one interception sailed directly to Danny Trevathan.

"That's a good team, but I think we let it get away from us," the Bears quarterback said. "That's kind of been the story."

(Forever.)

Of their future Hall of Famers who stayed back in Colorado, the Broncos missed DeMarcus Ware the most. Denver's quarterback controversy is alive and swell.

Smart money goes on Manning playing again. But it shouldn't be next week. A solid sports rule: Do what the opponent doesn't want you to do. The Dark Lord of Foxboro surely wants to face a quarterback who threw four interceptions last week.

"I was comfortable from the very first snap," Osweiler said.

Manning did not make the trip to Chicago, and it must be weird to watch his own commercials during a Broncos game. It would be weirder if Brady-Manning Episode 17 (hey, that's Osweiler's number!) unfolds with him on the sideline. Manning is injured, and the scheming Patriots are a bad way to get healthy.

"Can't wait," T.J. Ward said of playing the Patriots, and not in New England.

The next quarterback era was delayed, the Broncos were delayed, Brock's parents were delayed.

Osweiler waited until his fourth season to get his first start. The Broncos waited on the team plane, for four-plus hours, thanks to a sudden snowstorm that turned the Windy City into a wild, winter wonderland.

"If we need to be delayed in the air more often, and circle airports, if that means wins, then sign me up for it," Osweiler said.

John and Kathy Osweiler's flight from Montana got canceled. His parents drove to Chicago. They wouldn't miss this.

Emerging from behind the quarterback curtain, their son delivered a speech to the team at its hotel. "It was about a mentality, the mentality I wanted us to play with today as a team," Osweiler recapped.

"Kind of, in a nutshell, it was him expressing his confidence in himself and our team: 'I got this. Don't worry about me. Let's all do our job. We'll get it done,'" veteran tight end Owen Daniels recalled.

This quarterback thing, it's more than arm strength and tight spirals. It's looking the part, sounding the part, playing the part.

"Ever since I started playing football I thought it was the quarterback's responsibility to be a leader of the football team," Osweiler said.

Against the Patriots, at least, the Wizard of Os should keep the part.

Last edited by Sam_Z; 11-22-2015, 07:35 PM.

Love Brock man...really do....always liked how he carried himself and spoke...but to see his game look so good as well....just awesome.

Comment

Brock-weiler, Brock-Lobster, Wizard of Os, etc....... I'm all for it. His confidence in himself and his teammates, his poise, all off the charts. As I said before #17 is my QB
      #swapping

Comment

Brock will do fine assuming he is playing. I hate when they say QBs are playing each other. Its if our defense who plays Brady not Os. If the refs are biased like they were today we lose. If we hit Brady like the Bears hit Brock then those players would probably be ejected from the game. Kubiak is a conservative coach and hopefully our run game keeps Brady off the field. We need to get up two scores and hopefully Brady plays from behind and makes mistakes. It will be nice if the Organization makes a stink about the refs because it was atrocious today. We can beat them at home, just need a great effort from Special teams and the Defense. I am excited for this game as its a true testament to see where we are at.

Comment

I mean I was happy for Brock. But what am I missing? He wasn't that great to take down the current champs.The game plan was short safe throws and thats what he did. He did what the coaches asked but its not like he was slinging it into tight windows all day. He was throwing short to medium routes all day.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
            I mean I was happy for Brock. But what am I missing? He wasn't that great to take down the current champs.The game plan was short safe throws and thats what he did. He did what the coaches asked but its not like he was slinging it into tight windows all day. He was throwing short to medium routes all day.
            He went through his reads...made accurate throws...made great decisions...made ZERO big mistakes...didn't even have Emmanuel Sanders

Manning made a living throwing almost nothing but short and intermediate ....I mean....that is mostly all u throw (at least Os threatens the D with the ability to throw 60yds....Manning does not)

He did everything we needed him to do and if it wasn't for some questionable playcalls, bad luck (Hillman trip), and atrocious blatantly one-sided officiating we'd have blown the Bears out....

What else do you want from the dude?!?! Especially in his first ever NFL start...in front of friends and family too....really....what else do you want from him??? 20/27 250yds and 2 TDS....and most importantly NO turnovers...something we haven't done all year....please.

Comment

Originally posted by $Broncos$ View Post
              Brock will do fine assuming he is playing. I hate when they say QBs are playing each other. Its if our defense who plays Brady not Os. If the refs are biased like they were today we lose. If we hit Brady like the Bears hit Brock then those players would probably be ejected from the game. Kubiak is a conservative coach and hopefully our run game keeps Brady off the field. We need to get up two scores and hopefully Brady plays from behind and makes mistakes. It will be nice if the Organization makes a stink about the refs because it was atrocious today. We can beat them at home, just need a great effort from Special teams and the Defense. I am excited for this game as its a true testament to see where we are at.
              it will be a treat to win this game without any biased cheating refs working in our opponets favor so heres to a fair game for once hopefully

Comment

He looks ready. The team looks ready. I'm fired up as heck to see Brady face this defense at Mile High, and the ball in the hands of Brock.

Beat the Cheatriots.
                To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by #24 Next Champ View Post
                  He went through his reads...made accurate throws...made great decisions...made ZERO big mistakes...didn't even have Emmanuel Sanders

Manning made a living throwing almost nothing but short and intermediate ....I mean....that is mostly all u throw (at least Os threatens the D with the ability to throw 60yds....Manning does not)

He did everything we needed him to do and if it wasn't for some questionable playcalls, bad luck (Hillman trip), and atrocious blatantly one-sided officiating we'd have blown the Bears out....

What else do you want from the dude?!?! Especially in his first ever NFL start...in front of friends and family too....really....what else do you want from him??? 20/27 250yds and 2 TDS....and most importantly NO turnovers...something we haven't done all year....please.
                  Great response on your part! Brock did do all this while being on a short leash and some people need to realize that it will take Kubiak time to release him and let him chuck it all over the field but believe me it will happen! :thumb:

Comment

I'm not comparing him to Manning. I'm just watching the game we saw from Brock. And I don't see a season altering player. People are acting like he some sort of savor, and to me he is a player. Again he had a nice game, but a game IMO that was well game planned to protect its young QB. I will wait to jump on the bandwagon until the training wheels come off.
                    sigpic

Comment

That's what Brady has made a career of

Comment

The best way to beat a team like the Pats is to not turn the ball over. He was much better with the ball than when he came in relief last week. He's not showing to be the human turnover machine that Manning currently is. That's what it's about. he's not showing that tendency, which is usually an unfortunate trait of most young QB's.
                        #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                          The best way to beat a team like the Pats is to not turn the ball over. He was much better with the ball than when he came in relief last week. He's not showing to be the human turnover machine that Manning currently is. That's what it's about. he's not showing that tendency, which is usually an unfortunate trait of most young QB's.
                          Fair point, I'm sure the Pats will offer up a more aggressive scheme than the bears did so hopefully the trend continues.
                          sigpic

Comment

Tripping the RB right before the goal line was a 7 point mistake. I still gave him an A- though, all things considered.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
                            2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

I expect him to set every quarterback record. Otherwise, he's something of a letdown.
                              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Working...
                              X