Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peyton Manning providing scouting report to Broncos' starting QB Brock Osweiler

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Garfield View Post
    That all makes the assumptions that we have the personnel to actually beat the guy in front of you.

    So they have not proved they can do that consistently. For that matter even 20% of the time or so.

    This is not the old Lombardi packers where they had student body left or right with Taylor and Horning or the brown s with Jimmy B.

    We are the Broncos that have averaged so far 94 yards a game on the ground. And have had one game against a last tier 28th ranked run defense that we racked up a whopping 17o on.

    When we huddle up and take the entire play clock up it allows the defense to swap out tired players and get their calls in.

    Perhaps in another stadium that makes some sense but at mile high your trashing your 12th man on the field so to speak Mike high thin air.


    IMO a really dumb idea, when the defense is still trying to suck air from the last play and can not substitute you are losing that home field advantage.
    And most of the issues with our ground game were due to having the Statue of Liberty as our QB. Running an offense that should be run from under center, from the pistol. And not only did that naturally increase the timeline of each play, but said statue, isn't athletic enough for said "pistol" to be effective.

    The issue isn't play calling, but execution. And you may think it's some archaic system, but it's still currently a recipie for success. Especially in January. We need to focus on execution of th play that is called first. Especially with such a young and consultantly evolving OL. Get them to line up, do their job, and finish. Then you can get to all the hocus pocus. But if they line up and do their job, you don't need hocus pocus, do you?
    #swapping

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Garfield View Post
      That all makes the assumptions that we have the personnel to actually beat the guy in front of you.

      So they have not proved they can do that consistently. For that matter even 20% of the time or so.

      This is not the old Lombardi packers where they had student body left or right with Taylor and Horning or the brown s with Jimmy B.

      We are the Broncos that have averaged so far 94 yards a game on the ground. And have had one game against a last tier 28th ranked run defense that we racked up a whopping 17o on.

      When we huddle up and take the entire play clock up it allows the defense to swap out tired players and get their calls in.

      Perhaps in another stadium that makes some sense but at mile high your trashing your 12th man on the field so to speak Mike high thin air.


      IMO a really dumb idea, when the defense is still trying to suck air from the last play and can not substitute you are losing that home field advantage.
      Aren't you making the assumption that Manning is still capable of making the plays his mind is telling him to make? Basically the other side of the coin IMO.

      Osweiller is an inexperienced QB. Fact. But the strength of this offense and the play calling is to simplify and execute. Trusting in the system is key in any sport. Not sure that Manning or the rest of the team trusted or were able to make the adjustments as Manning called his audibles in the "blended" version of the offense.

      I am glad to hear that Manning is in the meetings and is working with Osweiller. He has a wealth of expertise about the Pats defense and what Osweiller is likely to see this Sunday. They will need his experience and knowledge if the offense is going to play well and be in a position to win this one.

      Glad to see he is supporting his team. I was disappointed to see him not attending meetings or the game in Chicago. Sorry, just me but I think if possible an injured player should be there for his teammates. Even the one trying to take your job.

      JMO but I do think some of the drama was justified. Manning had a humiliating experience against KC. He has been struggling all season. I imagine it is difficult for any prideful iconic player to accept this. Manning had his very human reaction and moment. I would speculate that the extent of his injury actually helps him accept the situation. It gives him a reason to take a step back. He can now walk into the locker room and meetings with some dignity and now support his team and Osweiller. Manning is needed. Just in a different way right now. I am happy to hear he is accepting his new role.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Garfield View Post
        Manning is one of that GOATs at reading defenses but going over it after the fact with a kid the game has not slowed down yet with. Minimal impact IMO. Especially since the kid has never played in this offense before a couple of weeks ago.

        His three plus years if being a backup wer predicated on another offense.

        Going over it after the fact is what QB's do constantly. Every game, every series, every big play, constantly. It became the go-to camera shot of Manning on the sideline, so I don't know how you could miss that if you watch the Broncos play. Manning has basically been an OC on the field for most of his career and the mental aspect of his game is legendary. I'm glad he's sharing that knowledge with Oz, since Brock proved he is aware of the opposing D by audibling into the game winning play of OT against NE.
        Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

        Comment


        • #19
          This is what I'm talking about. Manning still has a lot to offer this team.
          sigpic

          Hooray, beer!

          Comment


          • #20
            We should offer Manning an assistant QB coaching position at the end of the season. He will have to take a pay cut of course.
            sigpic

            Defense wins championships

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
              We should offer Manning an assistant QB coaching position at the end of the season. He will have to take a pay cut of course.
              WR's coach to start with?
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                WR's coach to start with?
                You know, that actually wouldn't be a bad spot, or a assistant DB coach. He doesn't have to be QB, Offense, QB. His understanding of the "tells" and "looks" could be tremendous.
                #swapping

                Comment


                • #23
                  Wait a minute, I thought fans here felt he could not provide any useful input whatsoever because it was Kubiak's system that he had not played QB in, I am confused. If it came from a water boy, it might be considered more useful by some fans here than if it came from Peyton, it seems like. /sarcasm

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                    Wait a minute, I thought fans here felt he could not provide any useful input whatsoever because it was Kubiak's system that he had not played QB in, I am confused. If it came from a water boy, it might be considered more useful by some fans here than if it came from Peyton, it seems like. /sarcasm
                    Personally, my criticism was based on his on-field play and decisions. Away from the field, where his physical limitations don't matter, he's probably one of the best football minds.......ever. I've always respected that about him, whether I'm a fan of his or not. That's where I believe his value is at. That transcends systems. And I'm sure he mentally understands Kubes' system. As its a variation of the WCO he played under earlier in his career. It's just physically he can't do it.
                    #swapping

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                      Personally, my criticism was based on his on-field play and decisions. Away from the field, where his physical limitations don't matter, he's probably one of the best football minds.......ever. I've always respected that about him, whether I'm a fan of his or not. That's where I believe his value is at. That transcends systems. And I'm sure he mentally understands Kubes' system. As its a variation of the WCO he played under earlier in his career. It's just physically he can't do it.

                      I'm pretty sure that it is really because of the injuries he has had for the last year. Ribs, Leg and now feet.

                      the latest being the Plantar issue if you can not push off your feet to pass it is hard to place the ball where you are trying to.

                      As you said he is the ultimate competitor and one of the top offensive minds ever in football.

                      I suspect IF he heals up he will come back and win some games for us.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                        You know, that actually wouldn't be a bad spot, or a assistant DB coach. He doesn't have to be QB, Offense, QB. His understanding of the "tells" and "looks" could be tremendous.
                        Yeah. I was thinking that his most "coach-like" job in the NFL has been with WR's. He could step in and coach WR's immediately.
                        Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                          I'm pretty sure that it is really because of the injuries he has had for the last year. Ribs, Leg and now feet.

                          the latest being the Plantar issue if you can not push off your feet to pass it is hard to place the ball where you are trying to.

                          As you said he is the ultimate competitor and one of the top offensive minds ever in football.

                          I suspect IF he heals up he will come back and win some games for us.
                          That's where we disagree, I don't think it's just the injuries. I believe it's all related to the neck surgery and his age. The ribs, thighs, feet, etc...... all just create convenient excuses for his rapidly declining ability. I think there's been an 800lb gorilla since OTA's and T/C. You'd hear how good he looked, but then later in the read or vid clip they'd talk about all the INTS the DB's made. Then come week one, the int's just roll! There's no "getting healthy". That option was taken away somewhere at the end of the 2013 season.
                          #swapping

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X