Von Miller is being held and hindered, yet remains undeterred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Miller is being held and hindered, yet remains undeterred

No team has seen its opponents called for fewer holding penalties than the Broncos. But Miller isn't letting it rankle him.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- At this point, the surprise will be when an official's flag does fly as Von Miller gets held by an opposing blocker.

Holding is a standard part of trying to keep Miller out of the backfield. Such penalties are often left uncalled; as anyone who watches enough football knows, not every holding infraction is going to end in a flag.

But it's slightly ridiculous that the Broncos have had fewer offensive penalties called against them than any of their foes. There have been just five holding penalties called for opponents grabbing Broncos defenders this season; one of them was declined and another was part of offsetting penalties.

That's an average of 0.5 holding penalties called against Broncos opponents per game. According to NFLPenalties.com, each team is called for an average of 3.46 offensive holding penalties per game, so it seems a bit unfathomable that Broncos foes have been whistled so few times.

No Bronco has been obstructed more than Miller, who has still managed 19 quarterback hits, six sacks and 37 quarterback hurries, third-most in the league per ProFootballFocus.com.

To his credit, Miller doesn't worry about it -- and refuses to be frustrated by the lack of official notice of the times he's held.

“I try to forget about the play, and just keep moving and just try to progress through the game, [and] just take it one play at a time. That's what keeps me level," he said. "If I keep thinking about the last series, it won't let me evolve as the game evolves and help me get my rush going. So I just try to play.”

Miller's sack of Jay Cutler in Chicago last Sunday provided an example of how he succeeds despite contact that goes over the line.

Bears left tackle Charles Leno Jr. appeared to get his left hand into Miller's face mask, but the unfazed pass rusher kept on chugging for the strip-sack fumble that Malik Jackson recovered.

"I got the sack, so whatever happened before that [does not] even matter," he said. "It's all good.”

And Miller knows that even with the uncalled holding penalties, the right people notice what he's doing, even if it doesn't show up in the final sack count.

"I just learned from an early age not to go out there and call for it. I think my play, and when everybody turns on that film, that's where you get the respect from," he said. "I'm not out there looking for the respect of the fans and all that stuff. I'm out there for players and everybody who turns on that film -- that's where you get the respect from.

"My time will come. I've just got to keep on rushing the quarterback. You know, we've got a real good secondary; [Aqib] Talib is playing out of his mind right now, T.J. [Ward] and Chris [Harris Jr.] and all those guys are playing insane right now. I'm just going to try to make him get the ball out quick, and as long as he's doing that, we're good.

"The sacks will come."
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...2-b1813366eac3

0.5 holds flagged per game? That is criminally low.

“Criminal” is right. League wide conspiracy theories just sound patently absurd…but, does anyone have any non-alien-probe theories as to why our opponents are never called for offensive holding? The whole thing just reeks of tinfoil hatness…and these are the best I could muster:

1) The league prefers offense over defense, and therefore allows Von to drag linemen into the pocket.

2) The league just doesn’t like the Broncos…despite the Broncos being one of the most popular teams.

3) Somehow, someway, every game, all game long, all referees have their line of sight blocked from the offending play, at the precise second the infraction occurred, thereby not seeing it.

4) Some other team was the highest bidder for their ticket to play in the Super Bowl…so, for everyone else, enjoy this pie to the face.

5) ???
    To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by Hesky View Post
      http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...2-b1813366eac3

0.5 holds flagged per game? That is criminally low.
      Great article. It's nice to have numbers to what is blatantly obvious. :thumb:

Comment

It's getting beyond frustrating, I'm glad our guys sort of keep their composure and keep fighting. Kubiak needs to take a flag for his guys, it's really that bad. One of these refs are gonna get themselves dinged in the head by a crazy fan.
        Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

This is what happens when you start letting legal gambling affect your league. I do not care what anyone says Fantasy Football is legal gambling...

It is only going to get worse people, especially with the money hunger owners and their puppet GOD-del.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
            This is what happens when you start letting legal gambling affect your league. I do not care what anyone says Fantasy Football is legal gambling...

It is only going to get worse people, especially with the money hunger owners and their puppet GOD-del.
            You have an extremely valid point. Fantasy is just so widespread that the question isn't "who's playing?", but rather "who's not playing?". So you have these refs clearly affecting the games. And this season it's far worse than ever.

And I know it sounds cliche, but watching a NE game is almost unbearable due to the amount of bogus calls and no calls in their games.
            #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
              You have an extremely valid point. Fantasy is just so widespread that the question isn't "who's playing?", but rather "who's not playing?". So you have these refs clearly affecting the games. And this season it's far worse than ever.

And I know it sounds cliche, but watching a NE game is almost unbearable due to the amount of bogus calls and no calls in their games.
              It would really suck if this is the case.
              [sigpic

Comment

we need to be patient. the law of averages..also, VM it's ok. complain for time to time to the officials.

Comment

Denver's defensive success is also its own worst enemy.

For example - if I complain that the defense is being held, the league will say, "but Denver leads the league in sacks! If Denver defenders were truly being held, wouldn't you expect them to have a harder time getting to opposing QBs?"

Of course, that ignores the fact that Denver would have even MORE sacks were it not for the holding calls. So as long as Denver's defenders continue to succeed, they'll have trouble arguing that the referees' calls (or non-calls) are negatively impacting their play (even if the logic is faulty).

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post

Yup...I've been saying this since I saw the first Fanduel/DraftKings commercial months ago. My 1st thought was wondering how much the NFL owners paid/bribed their local senator/congressperson to not consider this stuff as what it really is...legalized gambling.
                    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                      we need to be patient. the law of averages..also, VM it's ok. complain for time to time to the officials.
                      will not happen against brady UNLESS the officials decide this is THE game to turn the deflatgate issue around after he and his crew made the official crews look bad.
                      I'm not holding my breath

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                        Yup...I've been saying this since I saw the first Fanduel/DraftKings commercial months ago. My 1st thought was wondering how much the NFL owners paid/bribed their local senator/congressperson to not consider this stuff as what it really is...legalized gambling.
                        Luckily both NJ and Nevada view it as that also. And on top of that, both enterprises keep finding creative ways to bumble their way into the political landscape. They flaunt their winnings commercials and feel that a stupid loophole is going to protect them. But that just makes the Feds want in even more. And gambling taxes are pretty heavy.
                        #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                          will not happen against brady UNLESS the officials decide this is THE game to turn the deflatgate issue around after he and his crew made the official crews look bad.
                          I'm not holding my breath
                          Meaning that the NFL doesn't "want" NE to go undefeated? That would be awesome. I can see it now, Brady crying to the refs. God, I can't stand when he does that.

I do believe there is a lot of influence being used on the games and how they are called. Not sure what that influence is however, be it the refs, Vegas, the league office or what, but I do believe it.

I will never, ever get over the officiating of the 2012 Divisional game against the Ravens. Never.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I am one who believes officiating intently steers games. The latest blatant example was the last Bears-Packers game. It seemed the game was intentionally steered in a manner that benefited the Bears.

I don't know how Sunday night will go, but the Broncos definitely have received more than their share of bad calls and non-calls.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                              Meaning that the NFL doesn't "want" NE to go undefeated? That would be awesome. I can see it now, Brady crying to the refs. God, I can't stand when he does that.

I do believe there is a lot of influence being used on the games and how they are called. Not sure what that influence is however, be it the refs, Vegas, the league office or what, but I do believe it.

I will never, ever get over the officiating of the 2012 Divisional game against the Ravens. Never.

I was at that game and the only thing worse than
                              the frigid cold was the referring. I left dejected
                              and realized refs can indeed decide games.

Comment

Working...
                              X