Vernon Davis: Osweiler and I connected 'from Day One'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vernon Davis: Osweiler and I connected 'from Day One'

Brock Osweiler is under center and Gary Kubiak is running his preferred set of play calls, which means the tight end is more heavily involved in Denver.

In Osweiler's first start last week, tight ends Owen Daniels and Vernon Davis were the Broncos' two leading receivers, combining for 10 caches and 137 yards.

Davis caught a team-high six passes from Osweiler after snagging just two in his previous two games with the Broncos. The tight end said his rapport with the young quarterback was on point from his first practice in Denver.

"Sometimes it takes awhile to get on the same page and develop that chemistry with a quarterback," Davis said, via the Denver Post. "But with this guy, it's like we connected from Day One."

Denver acquired Davis at the trade deadline to help replace the production lost when Julius Thomas left for Jacksonville.

With Osweiler physically able to perform Kubiak's bootleg-action plays, tight ends will have a bigger role in the coming weeks.

"Everything that is difficult turns out to be really good," said Davis, who had 18 catches for 194 yards with the 49ers before the trade. "That's the beauty of being here and I saw it right away. I was like, 'Wow, I dreamed of being in a place like this, a system, a coach who understands talent.'"

Even in his 10th season, Davis remains a threat and, in Kubiak's offense, could become a major weapon down the stretch.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...d-from-day-one

Aka I'm in a contract year, give me the rock
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Playing for Manning was a dream. Now, he clicked from the start with Brock.

Either Davis is a great PR guy, or he's just desperate to stay relevant. But hey, hopefully he can still be productive....
      Last edited by Peerless; 11-28-2015, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post

Either Davis a great PR guy, or he's just desperate to stay relevant. But hey, hopefully he can still be productive....
        No doubt

I don't care as long has he continues to play the way he did last week.

Comment

maybe he is a team player and keeping Os confidence up. big game and Os is going to need a comfort blanket.

Comment

Man he still looks fast to me and hands down our best threat at TE. Good stuff.

Comment

Coming from a guy who has a legandary bad-attitude, Davis has been saying all the right things from the beginning. He definitely understand PR and buttering up the QB.

Comment

Originally posted by Peerless View Post

Either Davis is a great PR guy, or he's just desperate to stay relevant. But hey, hopefully he can still be productive....
                It might not necessarily be PR with Brock. The PR may have been with Manning. Every receiver in the league would like to at least catch a pass from Manning, especially with his retirement being imminent.

But with that being said, only a fool (player, FO, or fan) would think that Manning is even playing at a level to be productive. So being in a contract year, you want to catch passes from the guy who can actually get you the ball. And so far Brock has proven to be that guy. He's the guy in practice that VD has developed his rapport with. Same with Latimer. Brock has the ability both mentally and physically to get everyone involved. That creates an entire new dynamic of the confidence that's growing in the locker room.
                #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
                  It might not necessarily be PR with Brock. The PR may have been with Manning. Every receiver in the league would like to at least catch a pass from Manning, especially with his retirement being imminent.

But with that being said, only a fool (player, FO, or fan) would think that Manning is even playing at a level to be productive. So being in a contract year, you want to catch passes from the guy who can actually get you the ball. And so far Brock has proven to be that guy. He's the guy in practice that VD has developed his rapport with. Same with Latimer. Brock has the ability both mentally and physically to get everyone involved. That creates an entire new dynamic of the confidence that's growing in the locker room.
                  Great points. :thumb:

Comment

Davis was one of my most hated 9ers, but I must admit I'm happy he's come to play for us. Still looks fast and showed good hands and a nasty block or two in the run game last week. Also, Oz needs a guy he can hit for quick passes in the seam and over the middle when the D puts 8 in the box and Davis appears to me to be our best TE threat in those areas...probably the best we've had since Julius Thomas left
                    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Maybe he'll stick around if Manning retires and he has a connection with Brock after this season.

He still seems like a pretty solid player.

On a side note, I wonder if we can have the first offense with 2 1,000 yard tight ends in a season (don't think it's happened before), in a year or two with VD and VG.
                      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                        Davis was one of my most hated 9ers, but I must admit I'm happy he's come to play for us. Still looks fast and showed good hands and a nasty block or two in the run game last week. Also, Oz needs a guy he can hit for quick passes in the seam and over the middle when the D puts 8 in the box and Davis appears to me to be our best TE threat in those areas...probably the best we've had since Julius Thomas left
                        JT was a great threat in the EZ not so great over the middle of the field his last year here he had 12 TDs from 42 passes. Almost 30% of them in the EZ.

VD Has the speed and better hands to make the catch anywhere and get yards.

Have no idea where John will find money to resign him to a longer contract, considering the other UFA coming due in February.

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
                          Maybe he'll stick around if Manning retires and he has a connection with Brock after this season.

He still seems like a pretty solid player.

On a side note, I wonder if we can have the first offense with 2 1,000 yard tight ends in a season (don't think it's happened before), in a year or two with VD and VG.
                          I think your seeing VG with a1K is a pipe dream. So far he has shown very little. Considering he was a very good receiver in college.

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                            I think your seeing VG with a1K is a pipe dream. So far he has shown very little. Considering he was a very good receiver in college.
                            Except for I think he's caught almost every pass, if not every pass thrown to him in his career.
                            A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

Comment

Originally posted by crash123go View Post
                              Except for I think he's caught almost every pass, if not every pass thrown to him in his career.
                              Especially after Singletarry's famous:

"Can't win with him. Can't do it." Vernon credits Mike for actually changing his life and play on the field with that dressing down to the media.
                              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                              X