Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Peyton Manning not expected to be healthy 'anytime soon'

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...y-anytime-soon

The last time we saw Peyton Manning on the turf at Sports Authority Field it was before Sunday night's game against the Patriots. He was in his civvies wearing a walking boot, sidelines by a torn plantar fascia injury that is supposed to keep him out "at least" two weeks.

And it could be a lot longer than that.

According to ESPN's Chris Mortensen, Manning isn't expected to be healthy "anytime soon." In fact, the organization could be a month off from having to decide between Manning and 25-year-old Brock Osweiler, who is 2-0 in two starts, including that Sunday night overtime win over the Patriots.

On Sunday, CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora wrote that the Manning era could already be over.

The Broncos' switch to Osweiler could end up being permanent. The staff is in no rush to get Manning back on the field, with the injured veteran's demotion already causing some friction between him and the team with the potential for things to escalate down the stretch. Manning is determined to play again in 2015 as he tries to get his plantar fascia healed, while the reality remains that if Osweiler is competent in the starting role it is highly unlikely the 39-year old will be Denver's regular starter again, and there is no expectation he would be back there next season.
    Osweiler was more than competent on Sunday night, leading a fourth-quarter touchdown drive that briefly gave the Broncos the lead, and making throws that the 2015 version of Manning seems incapable of.

Here's Osweiler's line from the game: 23 of 42 for 270 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. Efficient given the snowy conditions, but there were instances where you could say, "Yep, that's a mistake a young QB makes." But he also showed improvement from previous outings, and just as important -- at least when compared to Manning -- Osweiler has the athleticism and arm strength to run Kubiak's offense.

Worth mentioning: Tom Brady's line for the night -- 23 of 42, 280 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs.

For now, this is Osweiler's team. And it's not entirely clear if that will change in the coming weeks and months.
    sigpic

...and so it begins.
    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Is there any coincidence that this comes out on the Monday right after Brock's huge win against the Pats?

By the way, I called it.

Comment

Beating the Patriots will do that to ya.
        :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
        sigpic

Comment

Sorry to see you go out like this, Peyton. But unless the guy who was at QB from 2012 through the first 10 games of 2014 walks through the door Brock is our guy.
          Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mora View Post
            Is there any coincidence that this comes out on the Monday right after Brock's huge win against the Pats?

By the way, I called it.
            It's pretty obvious that this is their way of saying "We've decided to move forward with Brock" without actually saying it.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              It's pretty obvious that this is their way of saying "We've decided to move forward with Brock" without actually saying it.
              Oh for sure. I believe you were one of the few that called this also.

Comment

Its unfortunate, but its for the best for the team. We got the most we could for 2.5 years, exciting games, lots of wins. Time to turn the page.

Comment

Wow, Surprise, Surprise, Surprise
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Just like that...
                    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mora View Post

By the way, I called it.
                      You're a genius.
                      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                        You're a genius.
                        I'm not even close actually. But with a little sense, you could see this coming from a mile away if Brock had a good game yesterday and beat New England.

Comment

If this story is true, I think its going to get a little awkward.

So, once he heals up and is actually ready to play, would he be a backup?

All I can say is "awkward".

Comment

Good for Brock! Can you imagine what went through his head for the last 3-1/2 seasons watching Manning and wondering if he would ever play?

Brock got his shot and he made the most of it. Good for him. Manning is now the guy outside looking in. All those post-game press conferences where he said he had to play better have caught up to him.
                            sigpic

Comment

Not a surprise at all. A majority of the sporting world must be geniuses because this was an easy one to call.

Osweiller as an unknown left room for argument. Osweiller playing well ends the argument.

I agree this could get awkward in the final weeks of the season but unless Oweiller starts playing very poorly or gets injured I do not see Manning on the field again this season. Hopefully he can get fully healthy and accept a back-up role. Even if that is an ego crusher for him.

If Osweiller were to get injured in the playoffs perhaps Manning can get one final chance to regain some on-field glory on a limited basis. At that point system goes out the window and you just do what it takes to win. Manning just coming in and making it up as he goes is not a bad option.

I believe Osweiller is the better option for the team, but Manning coming off the bench to save the day is a hell of an option to have if Osweiller takes that "one hit" that takes him out of a game. Seeing some of the hits he has taken in the last two games it might actually be smarter for Manning to wait patiently on the sideline until it happens. Perhaps the Hollywood ending is not such a ridiculous idea now that I think about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X