Broncos add rookie guard Robert Myers to 53-man roster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos add rookie guard Robert Myers to 53-man roster

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The Broncos filled the vacated 53rd spot on their roster by signing rookie offensive lineman Robert Myers off the Ravens' practice squad.

A fifth-round pick of the Ravens this year, the Tennessee State product flew onto draft radars because of a solid college career which he distinguished himself with his power, quickness and size (6-foot-5 and 335 pounds).

Myers displayed those attributes during a solid week of practices at the Senior Bowl last January, proving that he could handle the step-up in class from the Ohio Valley Conference.

At the National Scouting Combine last February, he earned the nickname "Quadzilla" because of his massive quadriceps that are 33 inches in diameter. His quads were on full display when he rolled his shorts up high during his Combine workout.

"Anything that looks that good, you've got to be proud of," he said with a smile. "I worked hard, you know?"

Myers spent five days with the Colts on their 53-man roster in September after they claimed him off waivers from the Ravens following the cut to 53 players. The Colts waived Myers on Sept. 11, and he returned to Baltimore's practice squad 10 days later.

Although he's excited about joining a playoff-bound team and getting to work in a zone-blocking-based scheme, Myers was still reflective on what was left behind.

"There were a lot of relationships built in that building between me and the coaching staff," Myers said. "It was kind of difficult because of the things they had to do on the business side of football for me.

"It was tough on both of us to spend so much time being drafted, and looking at a future with them, and then something like this happens. It wasn't an easy move for anyone, but it was something that had to be done."

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...6-63a948b7eb30
    I support Kaepernick 100%

Welcome QuadZilla!!!
    [sigpic

Comment

Sounds promising!

Comment

I'll wait on this one. He does have clear positives and a possible high ceiling but our scheme is not suited for his present abilities.

Here's the combine analysis from nfl.com

STRENGTHS Has good thickness and strength through lower body. Flashes desired functional strength with ability to anchor against bull rushers. Footwork is a plus and stays balanced in pass protection. Sound technician and recognizes D-line games. Initial punch has some juice behind it. Good body control and knee bend. Gets movement at point of attack when asked to drive block. Well-timed climb to second level. Will look for work downfield and hustles to trail play. Tough player with above-average strength for his size and a frame to add more weight.
        WEAKNESSES Average lateral athlete. Needs better understanding of angles and positioning as zone blocker. Not overly quick and tends to lose contact on outside runs. Loses strength when hands slide out too wide. Below average change of direction to strike moving targets on second level. Lacks muscle in his arms and has a soft midsection. Must prove he can handle faster, stronger competition.
        BOTTOM LINE Myers is already above average from a technical standpoint and is a quick processor when the game speeds up. Myers is a guard prospect who can pull and play in a power scheme. He has the pass protection traits of an NFL starter. The ceiling is higher for Myers than many guard prospects in this draft, and with more coaching and work in the weight room, he should be an NFL starter.

Comment

The famous quads.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post

The famous quads.
            That looks weird lol, I understand he has huge quads, but it makes his calves look tiny and his overall lower body underdeveloped.
            Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Does this mean we might kick LV out to RT some? I mean... We need OTs more than OGs... No?

Comment

I think this is backup plan/test him out during the bye week....if we get one.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
                  That looks weird lol, I understand he has huge quads, but it makes his calves look tiny and his overall lower body underdeveloped.
                  It looks a little better in the picture from the Broncos site. His upper body still looks kind of out of proportion compared to his lower half, but I think the calves at least look more developed. It will be interesting to see how this one works out.

(Source)

Comment

Just a warning, legs aren't everything. Look at former MLB pitcher, Mark Prior. Everyone raved about his leg muscles, and poof, his career went up in smoke
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                      I'll wait on this one. He does have clear positives and a possible high ceiling but our scheme is not suited for his present abilities.

Here's the combine analysis from nfl.com
                      Sweet his weakness is Zone Blocking. He will fit right in as a an Elway offensive lineman acquisition.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Royal Flush View Post
                        It looks a little better in the picture from the Broncos site. His upper body still looks kind of out of proportion compared to his lower half, but I think the calves at least look more developed. It will be interesting to see how this one works out.

(Source)
                        I suspect that his leg strength is going to be quite important as he is coached into a ZBS scheme.

I'll bet he does not get his Levis off the shelf.

Comment

I wonder what grade Elway had on him
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                            I wonder what grade Elway had on him
                            I think the bigger questions should be what grades did we have on some of the other lineman who have done well and we never took when we could have....

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                              I think the bigger questions should be what grades did we have on some of the other lineman who have done well and we never took when we could have....
                              Such as ... ?
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                              X