Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Kubiak 'not saying' if Peyton Manning or Brock Osweiler will start

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ler-will-start

Peyton Manning played on Sunday for the first time since Nov. 15, when he was yanked for Brock Osweiler. But it was Osweiler who struggled against the Chargers in Week 17, throwing two interceptions and paving the way for Manning's slightly-less-than-triumphant return to the field.

The 39-year-old, who is recovering from a torn plantar fascia, finished 5 of 9 for 69 yards, helping the Broncos to the 27-20 win, and more importantly, a first-round bye and home-field advantage throughout the playoffs. But now coach Gary Kubiak, who has benched both quarterbacks, must decide who will start when the Broncos play in the divisional round on Jan. 17.

And while Kubiak will need to make a decision at some point in the next two weeks, it won't happen anytime soon.

“I won't say anything,” Kubiak said on Monday morning, via PFT. “I've got nothing for you today. ... I have no timeline.”

It certainly seems reasonable that if Manning is healthy he'll play. Osweiler has been adequate but nothing more, and even though Osweiler appears to be a better fit in Kubiak's offense (better arm, more mobile, more comfortable under center), Manning probably gives the Broncos the best chance to win. Either way, Kubiak remains poker-faced for the time being.

“I'm proud of both of them," the coach said. "Obviously Peyton did a great job early in the season before he went through the injury. Brock's done a great job with this football team. Yesterday it took both of them. It's taken all of us all year long."

Whoever ends up under center they'll have the benefit of playing alongside the NFL's best defense. And that could go a long way in masking either quarterback's shortcomings as the Broncos try to make another deep playoff run.
    He's obviously just playing coy to make teams prepare for both, no doubt at this point that Manning gets the nod.
    sigpic

Smart move. But yeah, Peyton will be your qb.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-...ler-will-start

He's obviously just playing coy to make teams prepare for both, no doubt at this point that Manning gets the nod.
      Given the mess that is Denver's O-Line, opponents should definitely prepare for both. I'm sure Kubiak will prepare both QBs.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Given the mess that is Denver's O-Line, opponents should definitely prepare for both. I'm sure Kubiak will prepare both QBs.
        And that's the thing, one could start and end up injured. Both QB's need to split time equally IMO and both be ready to go no matter what.
        sigpic

Comment

Why should he announce it? It is no ones damn business and he can start whoever the hell he wants.

Stop the butt-hurting about Kubiak not spilling the beans.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
            Why should he announce it? It is no ones damn business and he can start whoever the hell he wants.

Stop the butt-hurting about Kubiak not spilling the beans.
            I don't think anyone is really butt hurt. It makes sense that he's not saying right now, makes teams spend two weeks gameplanning for both.
            sigpic

Comment

Denver's opponent in the Divisional Round won't be known until this weekend is over. It doesn't make much sense to me to name a starting QB for this week's practice. When the opponent is known, the team should be informed who will be starting at QB. It wouldn't be fair to keep them in the dark.

IDK if it is possible for the team to know and keep it a secret outside the organization. It would be cool to keep it a secret until game time, but I doubt if that is possible. Next week's injury list will be interesting as far as who is on it. Manning and Osweiler both may be. They were both on it last week. That could be used as a smoke screen.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Denver's opponent in the Divisional Round won't be known until this weekend is over. It doesn't make much sense to me to name a starting QB for this week's practice. When the opponent is known, the team should be informed who will be starting at QB. It wouldn't be fair to keep them in the dark.

IDK if it is possible for the team to know and keep it a secret outside the organization. It would be cool to keep it a secret until game time, but I doubt if that is possible. Next week's injury list will be interesting as far as who is on it. Manning and Osweiler both may be. They were both on it last week. That could be used as a smoke screen.
                I'm all for not being fair.
                [sigpic

Comment

There's nothing better than a little friendly misinformation campaign to force your opponent to prepare for both >=)
                  I believe.

Comment

I don't think anyone is really butt hurt. It makes sense that he's not saying right now, makes teams spend two weeks gameplanning for both.
                    It seems like I see a lot of articles on various websites of journalists making a click-bait issue of Kubiak not naming a starter-- like the journalists are butt-hurt Kubiak won't clue them in on the secret. I think I read a few on MHR and BR along with some others. Like I said, none of their damn business.
                    sigpic

Comment

who is spending two weeks game planning for the Denver Broncos?

edit: the teams playing the wildcard round are game planning for their opponents, no?
                      Last edited by JerseyAdam; 01-05-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

I'm sure both will be as prepared as they can be. Perhaps they will share reps until the decision is made. Either way, if 1 struggles, the other way see action. I just hope it's not too late. It would be awesome if we could join Brock's physical ability with Peyton's experience and metal ability.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on Manning starting though. I hold out hope that he can deep within himself and the offense can put together 3 games where they play like they did at the beginning of the 2013 season. If that happens, we are Super Bowl Champions no doubt.

Comment

wait did he really say "Obviously Peyton did a great job early in the season before he went through the injury" haha what?

Comment

He's going to go with Siemian and take advantage of teams not having any tape on him. It'll be like Caleb Hanie taking over for Cutler.

Then he will go with Brock in the AFCCG and then Manning in the Super Bowl.

Seriously though, I'd announce the starter and let the team game plan for him and then start the other QB.

Comment

I think it would be great if when the offense goes on the field the first time Brock and Peyton both go out. At the last minute one runs off replaced by a WR.
                              :logo:Super Bowl Bound! AGAIN!! :smash:

Comment

Working...
                              X