Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Matt Paradis has been the Broncos best offensive lineman this season

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1...e-lineman-this

Heading into the season, many fans were curious to see if center Matt Paradis could make the jump from the Practice Squad to being the Broncos starting center. Paradis started behind veteran center Gino Gradkowski whom the Broncos acquired from the Baltimore Ravens during the spring. Gino started at center for the Broncos at the beginning of Training Camp, but it didn't take long for Paradis to move into the starting role and never look back.

Paradis started all 16 games for the Broncos and was the only Broncos player to play every single snap this season.

Things started off slowly for Paradis, but lately, he has been playing like one of the best centers in the NFL according to Pro Football Focus. Over the past three weeks, Paradis has scored a +11.3 from Pro Football Focus. That grade ranks as the best one over that span of time and is two times higher than second rated center.

Not surprisingly, Broncos center Matt Paradis received the highest grade of any Broncos offensive lineman for this past weekend's game against the San Diego Chargers. They gave him +5.1 grade which was the highest in the NFL for week 17.

This performance earned him a spot on Pro Football Focus's team of the week roster. Here is what they had to say about Paradis.

Jason Kelce almost stole this spot with his superior pass protection, but we like our centers to block big in the run game, and Paradis was a monster in this regard. Where did that come from?

The tape doesn't lie either. Paradis was spectacular on Sunday.

Paradis hasn't been getting much publicity because of the Broncos struggles, but his recent play is definitely noteworthy. Especially considering one year ago he was on the Broncos practice squad. A year later he is being mentioned with some of the best centers in the league like Jason Kelce of the Eagles and Travis Frederick of the Cowboys.

Paradis is even being compared to Denver Broncos legend, center Tom Nalen.

It's still way too early to be making this comparison, but I can where he is going with it. They're both late round picks, under-sized, playing in Gary Kubiak's zone-blocking scheme, and having success.

Paradis has a long way to go to even be mentioned to the like of Tom Nalen but he is off to a good start. Hopefully, Paradis can continue his top-notch play throughout the postseason. The Broncos will need him to continue opening up running lanes for running backs, Ronnie Hillman, and C.J. Anderson.
    I did not copy the video or all the tweets in the article, you have to go there to see that.

One of the tweets said something interesting tho

Patrick Smyth ‎@psmyth12

Highest rated centers last 3 weeks (@PFF) 1. Broncos' @two_dice (11.3) 2. Kelce, PHI (5.2) 3. Frederick, DAL (5.1). pic.twitter.com/0ozCLvpTOs
    Nice to know the OL is not all bad news this year
    Let's Ride!

Paradis has been a bright spot, if the OL can get on a roll, we will be in a good way.
    What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
    I don't know and I don't care

Comment

This is why I get irked whenever I see suggestions of moving Garcia to Centre whenever there's a discussion of a reshuffle along the line. Paradis has done fine this season. We all know the tackles have been the main cause of concern.

Comment

and imagine the centre play if his two guards knew how to do their own job!!
        sigpic

Comment

Garcia has been a beastly run blocker, but needs work on his pass blocking. Paradis' future looks bright, hopefully he takes a big step forward in the postseason.
          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

So can Madden please increase his overall rating? I keep getting killed up the middle haha

Comment

I remember there was a lot of talk about him before the season started and that he was looking good. I have trouble evaluating offensive lineman, but many on here have brought up the need to get a center next year or move garcia to center. Its nice to hear that we might be set at that position....we just need to figure out what to do with the other 4 spots.

Comment

From what i understand, Garcia is pretty good at Guard

Comment

Originally posted by bjoli198 View Post
                  From what i understand, Garcia is pretty good at Guard
                  At this point he's far better at run blocking than pass protection, if he works on improving his pass protection and cuts out a few mental mistakes he could be a excellent player for us

Comment

Starting line next year should be
                    LT Sambrailo
                    LG Garcia
                    C Paradis
                    RG draft pick
                    RT draft pick or Schofield if he learns how to deal with speedy pash rushers

Cut or don't re-sign Clady, Harris, Mathis, Vasquez, and Polumbus. Sign some veteran depth.
                    Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

Comment

Originally posted by famicommander View Post
                      Starting line next year should be
                      LT Sambrailo
                      LG Garcia
                      C Paradis
                      RG draft pick
                      RT draft pick or Schofield if he learns how to deal with speedy pash rushers

Cut or don't re-sign Clady, Harris, Mathis, Vasquez, and Polumbus. Sign some veteran depth.
                      no idea why so many are so willing to trust LT to Sambrailo when he has proven nothing
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                        no idea why so many are so willing to trust LT to Sambrailo when he has proven nothing
                        IIRC he wasnt looking all that great before his injury, combined with the fact that his particular shoulder injury means that shoulder may never be the same again.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                          IIRC he wasnt looking all that great before his injury, combined with the fact that his particular shoulder injury means that shoulder may never be the same again.
                          especially since it is the 2nd time he has had the same injury to it......also he looked HORRIBLE at the senior bowl. here is a blurb from it

Not to make this an anti-Ty brigade, but Sambrailo had a chance to really show himself as a top 40 pick in Mobile. He didn't. Sambrailo's play clearly shows he's a player who has to add strength and may need to sit a year to do so in an NFL strength program. If he does get stronger, Sambrailo is a good left tackle candidate because of his flexibility and foot quickness. But defensive players often drove him backward and shed him during practices.

I hated this pick after watching the coverage of the practices. He got abused by just about every Dlineman there...maybe he will improve.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                            If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be 7 months AFTER the shoulder surgery before Sambrailo could even BEGIN his rehab. What we needed was a bigger and stronger Tackle who could make it through the season before beginning building his strength the day the season was over. With the injury occurring at the end of October, and the surgery a couple of weeks later, that means that Sambrailo can't even begin doing anything until the middle of June. That makes him a backup, at best, next season, IMO.

Nobody loves Ryan Harris, and I get that. But he was brought in as a backup at RT (behind Sambrailo with Clady at LT), and got thrown into the fire at LT. I wouldn't mind seeing the Broncos show Harris some love by moving him back to RT, and re-negotiating Clady's contract (depending on his health). And I don't get people wanting to get rid of Vasquez. Don't we have enough upheaval in the OL?

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                              If I remember correctly, it was supposed to be 7 months AFTER the shoulder surgery before Sambrailo could even BEGIN his rehab. What we needed was a bigger and stronger Tackle who could make it through the season before beginning building his strength the day the season was over. With the injury occurring at the end of October, and the surgery a couple of weeks later, that means that Sambrailo can't even begin doing anything until the middle of June. That makes him a backup, at best, next season, IMO.

Nobody loves Ryan Harris, and I get that. But he was brought in as a backup at RT (behind Sambrailo with Clady at LT), and got thrown into the fire at LT. I wouldn't mind seeing the Broncos show Harris some love by moving him back to RT, and re-negotiating Clady's contract (depending on his health). And I don't get people wanting to get rid of Vasquez. Don't we have enough upheaval in the OL?
                              Vaz has battled through some gnarly dings this year, and played next to a brand new, never played in the NFL center and the leagues worst starting tackle. He's not lighting the world on fire, but that's to be expected.

I will say that IMO he's a poor fit for a zone scheme, he's more of a plodder than a footwork guy. But, he's also very smart and athletically gifted and given the time, I think he can pick it up.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Working...
                              X