Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos address dropped passes in practice on Wednesday

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/1...dropped-passes

The Broncos are adjusting by focusing on pass-catching in practice, and it's a welcome development.

"Jeff LegwoldVerified account
    ‏@Jeff_Legwold
    #Broncos, after seven dropped passes in Sunday's win, WRs coach Tyke Tolbert broke out Combine gauntlet drill for the group in Wed. practice"

Gary Kubiak admitted that the dropped passes was a point of emphasis at practice Wednesday.

"We did a lot of individual work. A lot of throwing and catching," said Kubiak. "The thing that we’ve done as a team when we’ve had issues like that is we’ve bounced back for those issues. I can think of a couple of times during the season we had the same situation and we came right back the next week and made those plays. That’s what this league is about.

"Those same guys that missed those few opportunities last week are the same guys that will have to make plays this weekend for us to have a successful weekend," Kubiak continued. "I believe in those guys. We just need to bounce back and they’re working hard at it."

Demaryius Thomas was straightforward, admitting that the Broncos will put in extra work. "I think as receivers, of course we've got to catch more passes after practice, before practice," Thomas said.

It's a problem that's plagued the Broncos - and particularly Thomas - for most of the season. Hopefully the extra work pays the pass-catching dividends they're looking for.
    Thank god is all I can say. Can't believe it's taken them this long to put a focus on it in practices tbh.
    The Magic Is Back! IN ELWAY WE TRUST!

Too little too late.. Tyke Tolbert should accept the blame for not being able to prepare the receiving core.. We're in the postseason for crying out loud and he's still on catching 101?

Comment

Originally posted by River Side View Post
      Too little too late.. Tyke Tolbert should accept the blame for not being able to prepare the receiving core.. We're in the postseason for crying out loud and he's still on catching 101?
      Its never to late to correct mistakes, no better time than the present

Comment

Peyton throws for over 300 yards last week against a good steelers defense if those passes aren't dropped. Manning was putting the ball in the right areas.
        I find it interesting that his game last week was instantly dismissed by patriot fans but this is something I welcome and I truly believe that he will come out and play. If our receivers negate the drops next week I see us winning a close one.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoPower View Post
          Peyton throws for over 300 yards last week against a good steelers defense if those passes aren't dropped. Manning was putting the ball in the right areas.
          I find it interesting that his game last week was instantly dismissed by patriot fans but this is something I welcome and I truly believe that he will come out and play. If our receivers negate the drops next week I see us winning a close one.
          I actually think it's a good thing. Literally just about everyone is counting him and the Broncos out this weekend. Even though bellichick says he won't underestimate manning, you know their defensive strategy will not pay him that same kind of respect. This is Manning's final chance imo to put up a classic Manning's numbers game. Not his stereotypical playoffs game. My guess (prediction) is manning gets close to 300 yards in this game. Whether we win we be dependent on what kind of running game we get with those 300 yards. If we can rush for 30+ times and over 125 yards with Manning's 300. I think we win. That's not an easy task though.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
            I actually think it's a good thing. Literally just about everyone is counting him and the Broncos out this weekend. Even though bellichick says he won't underestimate manning, you know their defensive strategy will not pay him that same kind of respect. This is Manning's final chance imo to put up a classic Manning's numbers game. Not his stereotypical playoffs game. My guess (prediction) is manning gets close to 300 yards in this game. Whether we win we be dependent on what kind of running game we get with those 300 yards. If we can rush for 30+ times and over 125 yards with Manning's 300. I think we win. That's not an easy task though.
            I couldn't agree more.
            One other key and I think this is HUGE, is that we get off to a flier and put numbers on the board early and often. This is going to be a game that is all about confidence and if we are playing with a lead in Denver it will allow our defense to really express themselves. Worst case scenario is that we go down a score or two early and then are playing catch up. We won't be able to run the ball and this will put too much pressure on manning.
            We need an early touchdown and a turnover and we absolutely have to get the crowd into this game. We're going to need all of that along with a big dose of Lady Luck in this one.
            Mannings last SB shot. He knows what is on the line. I think he can do it.

Comment

I realize Kubiak may not be aware of what went on before him but dropped passes have been an issue for a while.

IMO if I was Elway I would hire a quality control staff that kept track of these kinds of things and reported them to the head coach...regardless of who the head coach was there would be a staff of people doing this.

I am sure the demand of people wanting to do this to get their foot in the door of NFL coaching would be so large the pay could be like 40-50k a year...which for the NFL is peanuts.

This QC (quality control) group could track things like drops, fumbles, lack of forcing fumbles, lack of ol being able to handle stunts and DL movement.

The group of people would include one person with football knowledge but whose skill set include gathering metrics. Someone who knows the biggest problem to gathering data is knowing what is real data and what is perceived data.

Actually I have all kinds of ideas for football operations that would constantly gather all kinds of information on all kinds of things.

I think if Kubes realized how long this has been an issue and how big it is...he would have been doing stuff like this more often from OTAs and all through the season
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

The great thing is, people assume that this is the first time it's being addressed....None of you are actively involved in practices. This could have been going on at many different points in the year, this is just the first time it reached the ears of the media.

Yes it needs to be a focus.
                sigpic

Comment

Whatever they been doing up til now has not been working as dropped passes been a problem all year

Either they are failing at addressing the issue or not realizing the issue needs to be addressed
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by ethanjano View Post

Thank god is all I can say. Can't believe it's taken them this long to put a focus on it in practices tbh.
                    Amen! The dropped passes have been horrible this year. My wife is a huge DT fan, and like I tell her "he seems like a big-hearted kid and very likable, and I understand why the thing with his mother would get in his head. But when you are being paid $70 million to catch passes... you'd better learn to FOCUS ON ONLY CATCHING PASSES during the game". If I'm the owner of an NFL team, I wanna see Beckham-style catches week after week for that kind of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                      The great thing is, people assume that this is the first time it's being addressed....None of you are actively involved in practices. This could have been going on at many different points in the year, this is just the first time it reached the ears of the media.

Yes it needs to be a focus.
                      :thumb:

Even in the quoted article, Kubiak says this isn't the first time the team had tried to address it. Maybe, just maybe, with this being the post-season, the lessons STAY learned? At least through Feb 7th? If not, the team will be at the Super Bowl on Feb 7th .... in the bleachers!
                      --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                        Its never to late to correct mistakes, no better time than the present
                        One thing I have definitely noticed with DT is he is getting his hands in wrong positions on his drops. He is sometimes catching balls with his fingers pointed up when he should be catching the with his arms on low to ground passes also the drop that he had a few weeks ago at the one yard line for what would have been a walk in TD his hands were in a poor position for the catch also.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoPower View Post
                          Indeed..great post. Except what I find funnier is that some Bronco fans dismissed it too..lol And I agree except there s no IF the Broncos will and do win the game. It is their time NO ONE besides the Patriot fans wants to see them in the SB again..I honestly think it would be a step back for the NFL and they cant risk it. However it wouldn't be fitting for Peyton to win his 2nd SB w/o going through Brady yet again .

Comment

Originally posted by ethanjano View Post

Seems like they have been talking about this all season long. Not sure this article really makes a difference.

Comment

Well that's good yeah.

Comment

Working...
                              X