Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rodney Harrison Says He Would Take Out Cam Newton’s Knees If He Played Against Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sheenabobeena View Post
    From the interview:

"...You let a quarterback score, you let him dance, and you see it time and time again on film. If I was playing against Cam Newton, I would try to take him out. I would try to take him out."

Patrick: "What do you mean?"

"I would try to hurt him. I would go right to his knees. That's the goal. You want to knock him out -- that might be the difference between winning and losing the Super Bowl."
    Later that day, Harrison clarified that he didn't mean he'd take out Newton while he's in the pocket, but rather when he "becomes a running back" outside the pocket.
    Yea, so hearing what he actually had to say I can't say that I agree with him...Absolutely you want to punish the guy and lay down hard hits when he's running because it's legal to light him up in that situation. But you don't make your goal to take him out of the game...That's classless, but then again we can't expect class from Harrison...
    sigpic

Comment

Well he shouldn't say that, that's like saying hit Peyton in the neck. I don't think anyone should want to see either happen. If you want to take a guy out, you encourage them to do it with legal shots. Just like in boxing. No below the belt, no eye poking etc.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone23 View Post
        I don't want anybody to get hurt or taken out of the game on a stretcher. I like Cam, and would hate to see a career ending injury. That said, I am happy with what Rodney Harrison said. While I do NOT want Cam getting hurt in a serious way, I do want the thought of getting hit low (and even getting hurt) to get in his head and affect his play.
        I guess it is how you interpret "I would want to hurt him". Hitting low is just another factor in the game, if injuries happen from it that wouldn't be a surprise but with Harrison you could take that as I'm going to purposely try to injure him out of the Super Bowl.

I guess in the real scheme of things it wouldn't make too much of a difference between him trying to hit the guy hard (to his knees) or him trying to purposely injure him and take him out. Rodney is just being too honest...

Comment

Originally posted by xX-Bronco-Xx View Post
          I guess it is how you interpret "I would want to hurt him". Hitting low is just another factor in the game, if injuries happen from it that wouldn't be a surprise but with Harrison you could take that as I'm going to purposely try to injure him out of the Super Bowl.

I guess in the real scheme of things it wouldn't make too much of a difference between him trying to hit the guy hard (to his knees) or him trying to purposely injure him and take him out. Rodney is just being too honest...
          I mean he flat out said he would want to take him out of the game...leaves little room for interpretation.
          sigpic

Comment

This is hardly new information. At the end of the day you want to hit your opponents to either slow them down or make them think twice about making a move on you again. Not to be crass but ask Andrew Luck how well playing kamikaze against us worked?

Realistically if we can hit him hard and high (shoulders/ arms) and/or low and hard (around his knees) he will be left to approach situations and plays more cautiously.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
              I mean he flat out said he would want to take him out of the game...leaves little room for interpretation.
              By take him out of the game he could mean he'd hit him to the point where Cam is in fear and not 100% mentally in the game..... But you're probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                There's nothing wrong with taking him out of the game with hits. You just want to do it legally. And not with the intent to disable someone after football. Football is a violent sport like boxing. The goal of both is to take out the other player.

Comment

How about guys like that actually learn to tackle. You can hit a guy low without trying to injure him. If you wrap up and complete the tackle, "taking him out" is not necessary. A solid power perfect-form tackle does the same, and more, mentally to a player. If Cam get his the way we planted shots on Brady, that will be in his head far more than some cheap shots.
                  #swapping

Comment

Yep, a guy Cam's size you must hit him low, if your hit should happen to knock him out of the game... Hey that's just football.

But Rodney should have left out the part about deliberately taking him out of the game imo.

Comment

I don't care for cheap shots, but if I'm the Broncos very single time Newton runs the zone read I make sure that the read end knows his job is to absolutely hammer Newton, according to the rules, that's a 100% legal play.

Comment

This is one where I go with my mother's way of thinking. She's been saying all week she doesn't want our guys to take him out; she wants him to try one of his showboat moves and land wrong on a knee or ankle and take himself out. Nothing career ending, just enough for a bit of ego deflation.

Comment

Rodney Harrison was a dirty player so no surprise he said something like this. I have a problem with this just as I would if he would have said to do the same thing to Manning. The unfortunate thing about somebody actually trying this kind of nonsense is that then somebody from our defense would try to do the same to Manning. It could get really ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantherfan1 View Post
                            Rodney Harrison was a dirty player so no surprise he said something like this. I have a problem with this just as I would if he would have said to do the same thing to Manning. The unfortunate thing about somebody actually trying this kind of nonsense is that then somebody from our defense would try to do the same to Manning. It could get really ugly.
                            Do you remember when NE sacked Peyton ..... high hit upper back........... they were trying to knock him out of the game.....It was a legal hit ..... but the intent was to take him out.

Comment

Originally posted by Pantherfan1 View Post
                              In this game there's only 1 player who's a cheap shot artist, and that's Cortland Finnegan. He's been a chippy (dirty) player his entire career. However I haven't watched him much during his short stint with Carolina this year, and he's been away from Jeff Fisher and Greg Williams long enough, perhaps he's reformed?

Comment

Originally posted by WillTopper View Post
                                Do you remember when NE sacked Peyton ..... high hit upper back........... they were trying to knock him out of the game.....It was a legal hit ..... but the intent was to take him out.

Defenses are always trying to take offensive players out of the game. Most of the time it's not dirty, and they don't want to see the player miss an extended period of time, but if you can force that offensive player out due to injury now you get to face his backup, often times that's a significant step down. Not talking about any particular players here, just in general.

Comment

Working...
                                X