Broncos will Franchise Tag Von Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos will Franchise Tag Von Miller

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Broncos will place the franchise tag on Von Miller and then try to work out a contract extension.
    The Broncos could use the tag on Brock Osweiler instead but it sounds like Miller is the top priority. Miller has keyed Denver's pass rush for the last four years and is coming off a monster game against New England in the AFC Championship. Last year the salary for linebackers under the franchise tag was $13.195 million. That number should jump to about $14 million in 2016.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Feb 7 - 9:34 AM
    sigpic

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
    According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Broncos will place the franchise tag on Von Miller and then try to work out a contract extension.
    The Broncos could use the tag on Brock Osweiler instead but it sounds like Miller is the top priority. Miller has keyed Denver's pass rush for the last four years and is coming off a monster game against New England in the AFC Championship. Last year the salary for linebackers under the franchise tag was $13.195 million. That number should jump to about $14 million in 2016.

No surprises there.

Comment

I don't see how Oz could even be considered an option for the franchise tag.

Miller is the obvious choice, if the tag is going to be used at all.

Even if they could make a deal with Miller without using the tag, tagging Oz would make zero sense.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        I don't see how Oz could even be considered an option for the franchise tag.

Miller is the obvious choice, if the tag is going to be used at all.

Even if they could make a deal with Miller without using the tag, tagging Oz would make zero sense.
        agreed. Tagging Os would cost about $20M.
        sigpic

Comment

Rapapuke is really going out on a limb there. It is very likely Von gets tagged unless he is willing to take a very reasonable long term deal. Tagging him is mostly just part of the process.
          Using a QB tag on Osweiler is not very likely considering it will be in the neighborhood of 20M ... not happening.
          sigpic

Comment

Ian Rapoport - Von Miller will get tagged

#Broncos have a choice for their franchise tag: Brock Osweiler or Von Miller. Sources says they'll tag Miller, then try to work out a deal.

As a rookie, Von Miller was fined by #Broncos more than anyone else. His maturity, thanks to hiring a life coach, is stunning. He'll cash in

One reason Von Miller will get tagged: He wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football. Means Osweiler could hit the market tho
            I mean, seems obvious, but there's some actual info (as much as this counts for actual info).

Comment

Shocking...
              Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Question is going to be "exclusive" or "non exclusive"

For those that do not know, non exclusive allows the player to shop himself and receive a contract offer Denver would be allowed to match or receive two 1st rounds picks in exchange. Exclusive only allows VM's agent to negotiate with Denver.

Last year, DT was given the non exclusive variety.
                Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Rapopoop reiterated Von Miller wants to be the highest paid defensive player. I believe Suh holds the record with $60 million guaranteed. Justin Houston received $52.5 million guaranteed.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                    Rapopoop reiterated Von Miller wants to be the highest paid defensive player. I believe Suh holds the record with $60 million guaranteed. Justin Houston received $52.5 million guaranteed.
                    Which may lead to an exclusive tag. Can be tagged this way twice and make about 31M over two years, 15.5 AAV with no big guarantee. So I do not see paying him 20M a year...makes zero sense for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                      Question is going to be "exclusive" or "non exclusive"

For those that do not know, non exclusive allows the player to shop himself and receive a contract offer Denver would be allowed to match or receive two 1st rounds picks in exchange. Exclusive only allows VM's agent to negotiate with Denver.

Last year, DT was given the non exclusive variety.
                      It's says that we will tag him and try to work out a deal. So based off of that, I'd say exclusive.
                      sigpic

Comment

Good news looks like Denver will work out long term deal with Von sometime next season.
                        sigpic

Comment

It's says that we will tag him and try to work out a deal. So based off of that, I'd say exclusive.
                          Maybe, but we went non exclusive and worked out a deal with DT, Broncos went non exclusive with Clady and worked out a deal,...not sure we have ever used the exclusive tag as it is like holding a player hostage. Makes me believe will will use a non exclusive as it does not cause the bad blood of an exclusive tag.

VM may be a player that a team would deal 2 first round picks for though, so it will be interesting to see if we change how we handle the tag.

I will say, we have seen top defensive guys like Peppers and Suh hit FA after a tag and the team only gets a comp pick. If Elway does not feel what Von wants is best for the team long term, we may see the first time we have ever tagged a guy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
                            Good news looks like Denver will work out long term deal with Von sometime next season.
                            If they tag him, they have until some time in June. Otherwise, they will have to wait until the following offseason.
                            My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
                            You Mad Bro?
                            Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

And pay $20 million to a guy who shouldn't get more than $4-8 million?

You can't be serious.

I would be surprised if Elway doesn't move on from a QB who had the job to lose, and then lost it.

Comment

Working...
                              X