Guest Post: Brady vs. Manning and Playoff Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guest Post: Brady vs. Manning and Playoff Support

Not sure where it belonged, but right now, Peyton is a Bronco, so I will post it here:

http://www.footballperspective.com/g...ayoff-support/

The 9-0 hot start bought Brady a LOT of equity in public and fan perception and this article shows it is closer than you think it is. I still have to lean towards Brady because of fewer turnovers while throwing passes.

The only stat I care about is the Broncos ownage of Brady.
    sigpic

Comment

It's a debate that will not ever be settled tbh. How you feel about Mannings career is more important than how I feel about it, or it should, in your heart. I know this, you will never get a NE* fan to pick Peyton lol. It doesn't matter, he gets a chance to walk away a champion. Just be happy with that man, Bronco fans have been doing it since 99
      Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

It's a bogus argument. As we saw on Sunday, teams win games and championships. Quarterbacks are just one cog in those teams. It's impossible to isolate a quarterback's performance within that system. I remember watching Joe Montana throw a ball away-- going right between the uprights. Gerry Rice went up and pulled it down for a score. The announcers went on and on about how he put that ball where only Gerry Rice could get it (probably technically true). How does that count in this system?

Comment

Originally posted by Finn View Post
          It's a bogus argument. As we saw on Sunday, teams win games and championships. Quarterbacks are just one cog in those teams. It's impossible to isolate a quarterback's performance within that system. I remember watching Joe Montana throw a ball away-- going right between the uprights. Gerry Rice went up and pulled it down for a score. The announcers went on and on about how he put that ball where only Gerry Rice could get it (probably technically true). How does that count in this system?
          Do you mean Jerry Rice or the famous John Taylor catch?
          Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Finn View Post
            Not always. John Elway was vastly superior to anyone else on the team in the 1980s. There's a reason John Madden called him a one man gang. Even Joe Montana was the best player on a team loaded with talent.

Comment

Overall I think I'd rather have Brady. But at the same time, there's a lot of variables that people often overlook and go right to the records, Super Bowls, etc. I think the most impressive stay of anything is that Peyton went to 4 SBs with 4 coaches winning 2. I think BB presence is something Brady people don't give as much consideration as they should

Comment

I would look at the AFC championships where Manning is ahead and plus we all know Brady is a cheater and so is his team, I am just happy we sent him into his off season vacation in style and that's what matters to me. I also think Manning could have out done him with BB as a consistent coach and always had some type of team around him. Brady has only played in one place for one guy and that one guy usually figured out a way to get home field and that's big. People don't consider these thoughts at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
                  Do you mean Jerry Rice or the famous John Taylor catch?
                  Dwight Clark?

Comment

Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
                    I would look at the AFC championships where Manning is ahead and plus we all know Brady is a cheater and so is his team, I am just happy we sent him into his off season vacation in style and that's what matters to me. I also think Manning could have out done him with BB as a consistent coach and always had some type of team around him. Brady has only played in one place for one guy and that one guy usually figured out a way to get home field and that's big. People don't consider these thoughts at all.
                    Keep in mind that in Indy, Peyton played for a HoF GM and an HoF coach. He had plenty of help.

He is one of the greats and helped redefine the QB position.

Comment

Originally posted by HumblePatsFan1 View Post
                      Keep in mind that in Indy, Peyton played for a HoF GM and an HoF coach. He had plenty of help.

I hate saying this, but BB is a top 5 coach all time. He's also the de facto gm, is he not? Brady had plenty of help, too.

Comment

Dwight Clark?
                        I think that is what he meant

Comment

I think this whole thing will be a moot point 15-20 years from now when we will appreciate the Brady-Manning rivalry as above any other QB rivalry in NFL history.

However, from a Pats fan point of view, when you watch Ellis Hobbs get so much return yardage in that 34-38 loss to Peyton in the 2006 AFCCG, see the Devin Hester return for a TD in the SB, the successful onside kick vs Peyton in the SB by the Saints, a Flacco hail mary converted against his team, did you ever think "this is in no way happening with a Belichick coached team that pays attention to every detail"? Or did you just relish the fact that it was happening to a Peyton led team and enjoy it?

You can be honest .

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                            I think this whole thing will be a moot point 15-20 years from now when we will appreciate the Brady-Manning rivalry as above any other QB rivalry in NFL history.

However, from a Pats fan point of view, when you watch Ellis Hobbs get so much return yardage in that 34-38 loss to Peyton in the 2006 AFCCG, see the Devin Hester return for a TD in the SB, the successful onside kick vs Peyton in the SB by the Saints, a Flacco hail mary converted against his team, did you ever think "this is in no way happening with a Belichick coached team that pays attention to every detail"? Or did you just relish the fact that it was happening to a Peyton led team and enjoy it?

You can be honest .
                            Ha! Bill's teams are usually so detail-oriented, but there were some notable special teams breakdowns this year, especially in the Eagles debacle.

BB is basically the GM too, and much better than he gets credit for.

But part of the Manning myth is his "lack of help" in Indy, when in reality he had HoF GM and coach and quite possibly more HoF supporting cast members than Brady.

But you're right, in 20 years this might be like Bird vs. Magic, where it is much more appreciated by all.

Comment

Ha! Bill's teams are usually so detail-oriented, but there were some notable special teams breakdowns this year, especially in the Eagles debacle.

BB is basically the GM too, and much better than he gets credit for.

But part of the Manning myth is his "lack of help" in Indy, when in reality he had HoF GM and coach and quite possibly more HoF supporting cast members than Brady.

But you're right, in 20 years this might be like Bird vs. Magic, where it is much more appreciated by all.
                              However, all that HoF offensive production did not result in SBs. It was almost like special teams was a neglected step child of the Polians, too many instances to count (one could probably count on a few fingers for the Patriots come playoff time unlike the Peyton era Colts), field position from special teams is ignored by the casual fan, not me. Polian re-created Buffalo Bills 2.0, building a team from the outside in instead of inside out. Never could run against the best in the AFC outdoors to control tempo and never could stop the run till one good playoff run. Just like with Jim Kelly, way too much reliance on Peyton's arm.

Elway's way of building the Peyton led Broncos makes me wish for a do-over . If Grigson is not careful, he could end up down that path too.

Comment

Working...
                              X