Report: Peyton to announce retirement next week per Woody Paige -- Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In 7 days (or so) PM will retire or be released

He will not be playing in 2016 for 19m contract.

I agree with the opinion that his body is too hurt to play in the NFL but that is his decision and the teams decision to take that risk...really hope Elway and Co do not want to take that risk.

As for Woody...he is a nice likable guy...he is the last writer I expect facts from though.
    Last edited by Hadez; 02-28-2016, 02:49 PM.
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

If I were Manning, I would force the Broncos to cut me and then decide whether to retire or not.

That way, if he decides to retire, he's free to change his mind later if he wants to.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?
      Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

Originally posted by broncolee View Post
        If I were Manning, I would force the Broncos to cut me and then decide whether to retire or not.

That way, if he decides to retire, he's free to change his mind later if he wants to.

Depending on the language of his contract he may loose part of his signing bonus if he retires as well. If the Broncos wanted to go after the signing bonus that is.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
          Woody and Peyton are close from their Tennessee days but hes not exactly going out on a limb either.
          This.

Anyone who doesn't know that Peyton is about to retire has to be living in a cave. His physical is due on March 4, and if he is still on the team by March 9, his 2016 Contract is guaranteed. Just by looking at the calender it is clear that PFM is about to retire.

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
            Doesn't Manning have to complete physical by this Friday? If he takes a physical seems he's looking to play?

I don't see any scenario where Elway holds on to Manning - at any price. Manning retires/plays for another team, release Clady, Ware and Colquitt you get save $41.2 mil w/dead money. Add $12 mil cap increase and you have just over $53 mil.

Letting go of Colquitt would be the easiest decision. Clady can help improve the line however we made it without him for basically 2 of 3 years. Ware plays great when healthy and a team leader.

Elway could afford to complete the long term deal with Von, sign Malik and strike a deal with Osweiler if Elway moved on from Clady, Ware and Colquitt.

I know the thought of moving on from Ware will draw fire...
            Not sure when the deadline is, but the Broncos will not allow him to take that physical. I believe the language of the contract is that once he takes and passes the physical the yearly salary becomes guaranteed. The Broncos will not allow him that chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Not sure when the deadline is, but the Broncos will not allow him to take that physical. I believe the language of the contract is that once he takes and passes the physical the yearly salary becomes guaranteed. The Broncos will not allow him that chance.
              Ah. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Doesn't Manning have to complete physical by this Friday? If he takes a physical seems he's looking to play?

I don't see any scenario where Elway holds on to Manning - at any price. Manning retires/plays for another team, release Clady, Ware and Colquitt you get save $41.2 mil w/dead money. Add $12 mil cap increase and you have just over $53 mil.

Letting go of Colquitt would be the easiest decision. Clady can help improve the line however we made it without him for basically 2 of 3 years. Ware plays great when healthy and a team leader.

Elway could afford to complete the long term deal with Von, sign Malik and strike a deal with Osweiler if Elway moved on from Clady, Ware and Colquitt.

Hey, leave my guy Ware alone. He'll take a pay cut to stay and retire a Bronco. Just leave him out of your scenarios, OK. Pretty please.
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  Hey, leave my guy Ware alone. He'll take a pay cut to stay and retire a Bronco. Just leave him out of your scenarios, OK. Pretty please.
                  BL115 are you turning into the Ware version of the one particular Manning only poster?

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    If this causes you the slightest distress you let me know and I'm happy to delete the post

Comment

Imo Colquitt Ware and Clady should all stick around. With Manning gone and the new salary cap raise, there is no reason why they can't. Clady and Ware restructure will be all insentive based so there should be enough there to take care of Britton. Colquitt was just as clutch in the super bowl as anybody not named Von. He was almost flawless and deserves as much praise as Ware does for his performance.

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                        Imo Colquitt Ware and Clady should all stick around. With Manning gone and the new salary cap raise, there is no reason why they can't. Clady and Ware restructure will be all insentive based so there should be enough there to take care of Britton. Colquitt was just as clutch in the super bowl as anybody not named Von. He was almost flawless and deserves as much praise as Ware does for his performance.
                        Colquitt did play well in the playoffs and especially SB50. On one of his kicks we were backed up = thought Carolina would get good FP and he flipped the field. It would be nice to have Clady, Ware and Colquitt back. I lean more toward the younger players with great years ahead, Malik, Danny T and Bruton if possible. Speaking of clutch - McManus perfect for 33 points.

Comment

If this causes you the slightest distress you let me know and I'm happy to delete the post
                          Why thank you! Any mention of Ware being released does cause me distress. No need to delete, just stop mentioning it right now.
                          Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

As I understand Manning's contract, it was essentially a series of 5-one year deals @ $19-Million each. It was modified in 2014 for the 2016 season reducing it from $19-M to $15-M, but the $4-M reduction would be paid if two bonuses connected to winning the AFCCG and the Superbowl @ $2-M each. Now that that is over, the 2016 contract reverts back to the original deal which is essentially a one-year deal worth $19-M. There is also a prorated $2.5-Million bonus guaranteed to Manning bringing the total 2016 contract value to $21.5-M.

Unfortunately, for active QB's this puts Manning at the #7 spot of all QB's in terms of Cap hit.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to see he just simply is not worth that. It doesn't take an Einstein to see the Broncos will eat the $2.5-Million in dead money bonus and say good riddance to Manning and his $19-M.

It's arguable about what Manning's worth is, but Manning's argument starts with the fact he threw more interceptions last season that TD passes.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                              As I understand Manning's contract, it was essentially a series of 5-one year deals @ $19-Million each. It was modified in 2014 for the 2016 season reducing it from $19-M to $15-M, but the $4-M reduction would be paid if two bonuses connected to winning the AFCCG and the Superbowl @ $2-M each. Now that that is over, the 2016 contract reverts back to the original deal which is essentially a one-year deal worth $19-M. There is also a prorated $2.5-Million bonus guaranteed to Manning bringing the total 2016 contract value to $21.5-M.

Unfortunately, for active QB's this puts Manning at the #7 spot of all QB's in terms of Cap hit.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/quarterback/

It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to see he just simply is not worth that. It doesn't take an Einstein to see the Broncos will eat the $2.5-Million in dead money bonus and say good riddance to Manning and his $19-M.

It's arguable about what Manning's worth is, but Manning's argument starts with the fact he threw more interceptions last season that TD passes.
                              Curious if the dead money cap hit still applies even if Manning retires?

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                                Curious if the dead money cap hit still applies even if Manning retires?
                                Yep, dead money is the portion of the signing bonus remaining on the contract (the Broncos converted some base salary to signing bonus 2 years ago), so it's counted no matter what. HOWEVER if the Broncos decide to go after the signing bonus, which technically Manning would need to pay back because he retired and didn't play that year, then the Broncos would get the cap relief as soon as the got the money back.

But Manning shifted that money to signing bonus to give the Broncos cap relief, there's probably no scenario where they would attempt to claw it back.

Comment

Working...
                                X