No announcement yet.

Report: Peyton to announce retirement next week per Woody Paige -- Rumor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "leak" says he'll announce his intentions by the end of this week (technically, Saturday, but realistically Friday). He's scheduled for a team physical Friday. My prediction? He announces his retirement immediately before the time he's scheduled for that physical.

Not a problem. If someone gives you until midnight tomorrow to make a decision, and you wait until 23:59 tomorrow to make the decision, you've met the criteria, have you not? Nothing to get excited over. Manning's retiring. The question remains: will Brock and Elway work together to get a contract, or will Brock's agent want more than the team is willing to pay?
    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

Ideally, I think Elway is too smart to overpay an unproven in Oz. Likely he will
      Approach with a 1-2 year prove it deal, or say hit the road. A part of me wants to say Brock will accept.

The Colts are dropping Hasselbeck, I'd go for him or Fitzpatrick to give us a 3rd going into TC. Where they can battle Brock and TS for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
        Yep, dead money is the portion of the signing bonus remaining on the contract (the Broncos converted some base salary to signing bonus 2 years ago), so it's counted no matter what. HOWEVER if the Broncos decide to go after the signing bonus, which technically Manning would need to pay back because he retired and didn't play that year, then the Broncos would get the cap relief as soon as the got the money back.

But Manning shifted that money to signing bonus to give the Broncos cap relief, there's probably no scenario where they would attempt to claw it back.
        Thanks. That is what I was thinking just hoping it would suddenly "disappear" upon retirement.

As you said, I doubt the Broncos go after the money. Financially the logical thing, but it would look bad IMO. Having that extra $2.5M in the already tight cap would certainly help though. That could be Bruton or an o-line addition.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
          Thanks. That is what I was thinking just hoping it would suddenly "disappear" upon retirement.

As you said, I doubt the Broncos go after the money. Financially the logical thing, but it would look bad IMO. Having that extra $2.5M in the already tight cap would certainly help though. That could be Bruton or an o-line addition.
          It would definitely be nice to have, but would be an enormous bad look given the way that signing bonus came to be (Manning's original contract had no bonuses at his insistence, which helps the team in case he's still injured and couldn't play. And he was helping the Broncos out) and given what he's provided Denver with the last 4 years (mainly the first 2.5).

You generally only see it with younger players who retire with a few years left on their contracts, such as Anthony Davis with the 49ers last year, he gave back his signing bonus for this past year. And the young LB who quit rootball, gave back all his bonus, less a year, to the 49ers.

Comment

So does anyone know if the signing bonus is protected or not.

A signing bonus is pay upfront for future services. Unless the language of the contract protects the signing bonus a player can be forced to pay some of it back if he does not play out every year. See the cap thread on general forums we looked this up.

If his contract does not protect the signing bonus then PM has 2.5m reasons to be released as opposed to retirement

Not sure if this is meaningful to PM

Like other teams have the Broncos can choose not to seek money back
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              So does anyone know if the signing bonus is protected or not.

A signing bonus is pay upfront for future services. Unless the language of the contract protects the signing bonus a player can be forced to pay some of it back if he does not play out every year. See the cap thread on general forums we looked this up.

If his contract does not protect the signing bonus then PM has 2.5m reasons to be released as opposed to retirement

Not sure if this is meaningful to PM

Like other teams have the Broncos can choose not to seek money back
              We were just talking about that, the Broncos will likely not go after that signing bonus: 1. Because it wasn't a true signing bonus, it was a conversion of guaranteed salary changed to "signing bonus" in 2014 in order to help the Broncos against the cap. 2. Because it would be a horrible look for the Broncos to do so.

If the Broncos were to go after "signing bonus" that was created by Manning doing a restructure to help out the cap, you'd never see players doing restructures with the Broncos again.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                If the Broncos were to go after "signing bonus" that was created by Manning doing a restructure to help out the cap, you'd never see players doing restructures with the Broncos again.
                This ^^^^^ for sure. That would put the entire organization in a bad light with both current and future players. We don't need that kind of rep for Pat Bowlen and his family OR The John Elway.
                --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

I went back and read an article about Elway's retirement and thought about the uniqueness of this situation. Elway faced the same decision after a long and incredibly successful career. He was tempted to continue however his health and an ailing knee weighed heavily on his mind. Elway took the risk to sign Peyton and now Peyton is facing the same situation.

I wonder how much of this is taking Elway back to his retirement. He has free agency and the draft to deal with, but also Manning. We shall see.

Here's the article -

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../03/elway3.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                    From the perspective of the Broncos cap situation; I don't see how it is possible for the Broncos to keep Osweiler, Jackson, Miller and Manning. To sign any two of them will be challenging, let alone 3 of them.

In speculation, Manning is clearly the odd-guy out and easily identified as the first guy let go to save cap room unless he agreed to a vet-minimum contract, which would be detrimental to Manning. It would be detrimental because Manning can look forward to a few years of lucrative endorsements if he leaves the game on top with a Superbowl win. If he plays another year and stinks it up, his endorsement opportunities will likely be diminished. So, I think he stands to make more money in endorsements retiring a Superbowl winner than stinking it up another season and losing them.
                    The answer to that is pretty simple, we aren't. Jackson's the odd man out.
                    sigpic

Comment

3 days from the physical.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ion-this-week/

The Denver Post may have to re-re-revise its report regarding Peyton Manning’s retirement announcement.

With the Post changing but then doubling down on the report that Manning will announce his retirement this week, removing and then re-inserting an assertion from Woody Paige that two unnamed sources have said the announcement is indeed coming, James Palmer of NFL Media reports that Manning’s decision should not be expected this week.

Palmer also says that Manning will meet with both G.M. John Elway and coach Gary Kubiak later this week.

As it relates to Manning’s future with the Broncos, there’s really not much to discuss. They surely don’t want him back at $19 million, and there’s a chance they don’t want him back under any salary, preferring instead to hand the offense to Brock Osweiler. But Denver is committed to showing extreme respect and deference to a guy who rescued the franchise four years ago from Tim Tebow and ultimately delivered two Super Bowl appearances and the team’s third Lombardi Trophy, albeit without doing all that much to earn it in 2015.

The Broncos need to clear Manning off the roster by the close of business on Tuesday, March 8, in order to avoid his $19 million salary becoming fully guaranteed. Manning’s slow pace of resolving his position on whether he’ll play could mean that Manning will request a release in lieu of retiring, so that he can consider other options elsewhere, now or later in the offseason.

If other teams are interested, they’re keeping their cards close to the vest. Four weeks ago, a report emerged that the Rams could be interested in Manning. Since then, there has been no report or speculation of any other team wanting to add Manning for what would be both a debut season and, most likely, a farewell tour.

my thoughts? Manning has to take a physical on the 4th. He might not have a decision this week but the Broncos sure will.
                        Last edited by CoryWinget81; 03-01-2016, 07:38 AM.
                        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

I don't think it makes one iota of difference to the Broncos WHEN he announces to stay another year or retire as expected.

Elway is moving on from PM and he will be released before the deadline next Tuesday, we are already in negotiations with Osweiler to move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by bronx_2003 View Post
                            I don't think it makes one iota of difference to the Broncos WHEN he announces to stay another year or retire as expected.

Elway is moving on from PM and he will be released before the deadline next Tuesday, we are already in negotiations with Osweiler to move forward.
                            Mark Schlereth reported on the fan this morning that troy renck reports there is a deal in place ready to move between Oz and the Broncos once they find out what manning is going to do.

Sounds like they are just waiting pn Manning to retire before theyre forced to cut him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                              Mark Schlereth reported on the fan this morning that troy renck reports there is a deal in place ready to move between Oz and the Broncos once they find out what manning is going to do.

Sounds like they are just waiting pn Manning to retire before theyre forced to cut him.
                              Yep thats what I think is happening

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                                my thoughts? Manning has to take a physical on the 4th. He might not have a decision this week but the Broncos sure will.
                                Right...no need in even allowing him to take a physical for us if we know we're not bringing him back regardless of what he wants.

Comment

Working...
                                X