Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources: The Denver Broncos Have Made A Substantial Contract Offer To Brock Osweiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sources: The Denver Broncos Have Made A Substantial Contract Offer To Brock Osweiler

Osweiler wants more money than the Broncos are willing to offer.

Sources: The Denver Broncos Have Made A Substantial Contract Offer To Brock Osweiler

http://www.scout.com/nfl/broncos/sto...al-offer-brock

Chad Jensen
    11:45 AM

The Broncos have made a serious contract offer to Brock Osweiler, but the two camps remain far apart.

When last we heard from Denver Broncos GM John Elway at the NFL Scouting Combine, he said he hadn't started contract negotiations with impending free agent quarterback Brock Osweiler.

However, according to sources, the Broncos have since offered a substantial contract to the former Arizona State gunslinger. The contract would pay Osweiler around $10 million per year.

Unfortunately, the offer is considerably less than what Osweiler believes he can garner on the open market. League sources are confident Osweiler can command $16 million per year from other NFL suitors.

The Broncos don't think he's worth a salary that large, at this time. Despite what Osweiler's camp wants, and what we're hearing from sources, the Broncos are convinced he won't receive such high-dollar offers next week.

Elway has rolled the dice and has reportedly resigned the organization to letting Osweiler hit the open market on March 9th, which is just next Tuesday. $6 million is a gigantic gap — too much for the two camps to bridge at this time.

The Broncos will let the nature of the open market do their negotiating for them. If what Elway believes is true, Osweiler will soon realize the market isn't quite as bullish for his services as he thinks, which could drive him back toward the Broncos.

If Osweiler is right, and the market sustains offers close to $16 million per year, Elway will have to either pony up the money, or let him walk. With so many of Denver's free agent needs currently up in the air, it remains likely $16 million will be too rich for their blood.

With Peyton Manning's future still hanging in the balance, the Broncos future at quarterback is murky, at best.

Chad Jensen is the Publisher of Mile High Huddle. You can find him on Twitter @ChadNJensen.

Follow Mile High Huddle on Twitter @MileHighHuddle and on Facebook and become a subscriber to receive access to premium content and discounted Broncos tickets.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
    Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
    Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
    Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
    I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

wonderful....

Comment

Enjoy the scenery of Cleveland.

Comment

My guess is that Manning is holding out on announcing retirement because he doesn't want the Broncos to be left high and dry at QB. He might think that Brock is holding out on the Broncos because he thinks he is worth a lot more.

It's almost certain that the defense and OL is a priority this offseason, so Brock wanting that amount of money will not allow that to happen.

Manning could restructure his final year contract and return to the Broncos.

Honestly, we could win it all again next year with either Manning or Brock.

Things are getting tricky now.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
        Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
        Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
        Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
        I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Comment

If you're Osweiler's agent, you're fired if you settle for a $10 million/year salary after a mediocre QB like Bradford just received a a two-year, $36 million contract with $26 million guaranteed. Think about it. The "$10 million/year" thing is not realistic anymore. If Elway is not willing to upgrade the offer, that's another story. That's salary cap discipline. I'm okay with this. Someone else, someone more desperate will offer more for Osweiler. Elway does not have to play this game, and he's been with Osweiler since 2012 to have a good idea of his value and how replaceable he may be.
          sigpic

Comment

If I was Os, I stay with the Broncos and win. Because you have a defense.

Comment

Well, if true, good for Elway. I'm sure Elway has a far more accurate evaluation of Brock than any sports analyst, media reporter, or fan. Elway knows what makes a good QB. And, he's been pretty good at managing the money, too. If he really offered Oz $10M, that says something about what Elway thinks of Oz's capabilities. It would suggest that Elway's unsure whether Oz is the future for the team.

The team needs its D and an o-line first. Curious who the Broncos are really thinking to take the snaps?

Comment

Looks like Trevor's chance is coming to fruition, And this very well may be the route we should take!! TJ Yates, or Chase Daniels, and a mid round QB in the draft
                Is what I see.

Comment

Oooh boy, this might be a bumpy ride.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                    Enjoy the scenery of Cleveland.
                    Or Houston, or L.A.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

I trust Elway on this. He knows what he is doing.

If anything SB 50 proved that you could have had a 85 year old Grandmother at QB and still won that game. Ok.. So maybe that's a big exaggeration but, certainly an NFL calibre QB who doesn't have to be anything special and we still win that game.

Keeping that defense in tact as best as possible needs to be #1 priority, even over Brock.
                      Elway knows not to over pay for him, and understands he can find a good enough QB for less if it comes to that.
                      My adopted Bronco is Case Keenum

Comment

If Brock leaves you have to go QB in round 1 and sit him a year, unless you think RG3 is a franchise QB.

Comment

From PFF's 6 free agents about to be overpaid:

6. Brock Osweiler, QB, Broncos

The thirst for a quarterback in the NFL today is real. The Redskins tagging Kirk Cousins is really all you need to know about the desperation teams feel. If Peyton Manning does indeed retire, the Broncos will be experiencing a similar squeeze. This could very well lead them to splurge on their former second-round pick, whom they have spent four years developing. Outside of the Patriots game though, Osweiler (71.3) has shown little indication that he’s a quarterback that should be starting in this league. His 26.7 deep-accuracy percentage was second-worst in the NFL.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Time to start looking at trade deals with SF or Washington...
                            We are going with Plan A

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                              If Brock leaves you have to go QB in round 1 and sit him a year, unless you think RG3 is a franchise QB.
                              Please no too RG-me!!!
                              Same for Kaep, why spend that kind of money when we can just as much production out of TS.

Comment

Working...
                              X