Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources: The Denver Broncos Have Made A Substantial Contract Offer To Brock Osweiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Yea screw him for wanting to get paid fair market value for a starting QB...Screw that guy! He needs to play with us for vet minimum and be a real team player.
    The only thing wrong with the fair market value is that it's not very fair. Too many average at best quarterbacks are getting paid as though they are all pro. You only need to be a starter in order to cash in big now. It's quite disgusting actually.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      Cut the $3.5 in half due to taxes, so now he's made $1.75, then you cut out the agent's fee, which comes off the top and is in the 5% neighbourhood I believe. Then you've also got the NFLPA fees, the pension, and the various other benefits that they deduct from the pay checks, all told, you're probably looking at him having taken home about $1 million over those 4 years. It's a decent payday no doubt, but it's a far cry from $3.5 million that was what his contract was worth.

Professional athletes make a lot of money, there's no arguing against that, but they also have a much shorter career life than any other profession, if Osweiler turns out to be great he's got 10 years left, if he's just a guy he might have 2 or 3 more years, and on a non-guaranteed contract, it's not about greed for him to want to try and maximize what he can get now, to set himself up for the rest of his life.

It's not greedy to want to make sure you've got a college fund set up for your kids, or to want to be able to retire and live a comfortable life for as long as you live after you've played a sport that simulates you being in an extremely bad car crash every week of the season.
      Well, we don't know what the Broncos offered except that it's "substantial". If "substantial" means even a lowly $10M/year guaranteed, think he'll be able to set up a college fund or maybe even retire some day? Not trying to run the guy's life, but that last paragraph of yours is laughable. Even with a "lousy" pay of $10M for his first year, along with the signing bonus, I'd guess Brock could get those kids into a community college, at least.

Oh, playing for a crappy team might mean other risks...poorly run front office and coaching could mean killing your career and not having anything beyond that initial contract.

Comment

• This whole thread will ultimately be a waste of time when some other team makes the mistake of paying Osweiler 16 mill a year, so he can be average for that team. See ya Brock.

Comment

• Okay, I see a lot of valid points in the desire to not overpay Brock, or any other player for that matter. I understand that and applaud your efforts.

However, my point of view is this. With all the questions surrounding this team, QB is one I don't want. If Brock was drafted to be the heir apparent to Peyton, let him be the heir apparent. At least for a couple of seasons.

Everyone agrees that we are not going to be able to keep all of our main FAs, so why not make sure you get Oz, finish the Miller deal, and try one more time with Malik....stand firm here, as we currently have more depth at DL than QB. Then, focus on Oline, LBs, DLine, RBs and sign a vet QB to help Oz.

After a year with him as the #1, the front office and we should know whether he's worth further investment or whether we should look at the draft for our new QB.

Either way, the likelihood of winning a Super Bowl the exact same way as we did is not good. We already know the defense isn't going to be the same. Why not keep as much continuity on offense as we can as we strive to better it.
          Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
          Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
          Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

• Per Cecil Lammey

nope, he's likely going to the #Eagles - trade for Kaepernick most likely if Brock bolts https://t.co/n1zJb1aAte
            What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
            I don't know and I don't care

Comment

• Originally posted by CDUB1620 View Post
              The only thing wrong with the fair market value is that it's not very fair. Too many average at best quarterbacks are getting paid as though they are all pro. You only need to be a starter in order to cash in big now. It's quite disgusting actually.
              Well atleast now you have to have earned a starter position, not so long ago you could cash in huge without even playing a down and cash strap the team out the gate while doing it (the Walrus)
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by TheManningMelon View Post
                Well, we don't know what the Broncos offered except that it's "substantial". If "substantial" means even a lowly $10M/year guaranteed, think he'll be able to set up a college fund or maybe even retire some day? Not trying to run the guy's life, but that last paragraph of yours is laughable. Even with a "lousy" pay of $10M for his first year, along with the signing bonus, I'd guess Brock could get those kids into a community college, at least.

Oh, playing for a crappy team might mean other risks...poorly run front office and coaching could mean killing your career and not having anything beyond that initial contract.
                Get what your saying and community college is probably a bad way to put it, but he is right. If another team offers him 15 and we only offer him 10, then 10 becomes very lowly. Thats a 33% cut in pay. A home town discount is one thing but that would be a horrible move on his part if he stayed with us. If he got hurt and out of the league in his first game and never got the chance to make it to another contract, that would be huge.

Alot of this with the numbers is kinda mute though. Cause the only thing that is guaranteed is the guaranteed money. I believe that will be the most important concern.
                My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                  Get what your saying and community college is probably a bad way to put it, but he is right. If another team offers him 15 and we only offer him 10, then 10 becomes very lowly. Thats a 33% cut in pay. A home town discount is one thing but that would be a horrible move on his part if he stayed with us. If he got hurt and out of the league in his first game and never got the chance to make it to another contract, that would be huge.

Alot of this with the numbers is kinda mute though. Cause the only thing that is guaranteed is the guaranteed money. I believe that will be the most important concern.
                  Even the guaranteed money isn't always guaranteed. A lot of contracts have "guarantees" that only count if the player ends a year injured or hits a milestone to unlock it. Those guaranteed numbers are thrown out there to pump up contracts for players egos and for the reputations of agents.

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel51 View Post
                    Okay, I see a lot of valid points in the desire to not overpay Brock, or any other player for that matter. I understand that and applaud your efforts.

However, my point of view is this. With all the questions surrounding this team, QB is one I don't want. If Brock was drafted to be the heir apparent to Peyton, let him be the heir apparent. At least for a couple of seasons.

Everyone agrees that we are not going to be able to keep all of our main FAs, so why not make sure you get Oz, finish the Miller deal, and try one more time with Malik....stand firm here, as we currently have more depth at DL than QB. Then, focus on Oline, LBs, DLine, RBs and sign a vet QB to help Oz.

After a year with him as the #1, the front office and we should know whether he's worth further investment or whether we should look at the draft for our new QB.

Either way, the likelihood of winning a Super Bowl the exact same way as we did is not good. We already know the defense isn't going to be the same. Why not keep as much continuity on offense as we can as we strive to better it.
                    I think they already know.....
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                      I would hope so, free agency is just days away. But even if the re-sign him it doesn't mean they won't look for his replacement in April.

Comment

• Can't blame Oz for wanting fair market value, regardless of how overinflated it has become. But it seems his best shot at making the most money is with Denver. It seems to be his best chance for success.

Sure, he make more per year over the next couple of years with CLE, but that is career suicide. He'll likely prove he is a career back up. Then he won't get paid fair market value again. If he success with DEN, he'll get paid again. Where else does he stand a good shot at success relative to DEN?

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                          They know as much as they can with Oz as the back up. They know as much as they can from 7 starts. The information gathered from these scenarios is not the same as the information gathered from the scenario as Oz as a starter from training camp on, with Oz as the starter behind an improved offensive line becoming more comfortable with the scheme and each other.

Every QB mentioned to replace Oz is nothing more than an unknown rookie, a veteran with baggage, or a stop gap QB until we groom our future QB or sign a HOFer in FA. If those are our choices, why not sign Oz and see if he holds up to the pressure of being that QB to replace a HOFer. He doesn't have baggae, he isn't an unproven rookie. Basically, signing Oz as our QB will end in one of two ways.... He becomes our franchise QB or he becomes the stop gap. Either way sounds better than the options I'm hearing from alot of posters here.
                          Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
                          Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
                          Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

• http://bsndenver.com/sources-broncos...r-three-years/

The offer is $39M over 3 years That's $13M per year...That's about the deal I expected and hoped for, hopefully he'll take it.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              http://bsndenver.com/sources-broncos...r-three-years/

The offer is $39M over 3 years That's $13M per year...That's about the deal I expected and hoped for, hopefully he'll take it.
                              Thats some dam good money for a guy whis only NFL experience consist of seven games.

39 million for 3 years, remember Terrell Davis. 58 million over 9 years. I know times are different but Brock should be all over this. Davis have far more potential than Brock so at the moment..

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                                Thats some dam good money for a guy whis only NFL experience consist of seven games.

39 million for 3 years, remember Terrell Davis. 58 million over 9 years. I know times are different but Brock should be all over this. Davis have far more potential than Brock so at the moment..
                                Well, if he wants the money, the Texans will throw more at him. Our deal is solid, if he wants the payout over staying in Denver, I'm betting Houston offers him $18M per.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X