Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sources: The Denver Broncos Have Made A Substantial Contract Offer To Brock Osweiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
    I read on the nfl.com website that the 3 year $45 million contract offer would rank him the 16th highest paid QB. I think that's fair compensation.
    Everyone is freaking out (well not everyone, the usual suspects) at the 15 per year. That is the going rate nowadays for an NFL starting QB. Oz is one that has the potential to be very good, so I see this as all positive. As another poster pointed out, it is essentially a bridge deal that shows confidence in Oz.

I'm gonna guess that the first two years are guaranteed, saying the team is yours and this is your tryout/growing period. If you show enough we bring you back for a third and start negotiating your long term deal. If he stinks it up we can keep him for a third year as a bridge to our next guy or cut him. This is actually a good deal for Denver, they're making Oz show that he is willing to bet on himself.
    Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

• And 3/4 of the people on this board were saying we wouldn't offer more then 12 13 hahaha. Brock is a future franchise QB. I can see him signing for 16m per year. Elway will not let him go and make us go back to a mediocre team with no quarterback. We are the Denver Broncos not the Browns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Montoya View Post
        And 3/4 of the people on this board were saying we wouldn't offer more then 12 13 hahaha. Brock is a future franchise QB. I can see him signing for 16m per year. Elway will not let him go and make us go back to a mediocre team with no quarterback. We are the Denver Broncos not the Browns.
        I think this offer is solid, but she team will probably offer more over a longer period of time. Oz is going to have to bet on himself if he wants to stay a Bronco. I think he will though, and I think it will be a good bet.
        Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
          Well, if he wants the money, the Texans will throw more at him. Our deal is solid, if he wants the payout over staying in Denver, I'm betting Houston offers him $18M per.
          Browns will probably offer a ton too lol. 13 i could stomach, I think he will be good for us at best but at least this gives us a couple years to watch him as an actual starter and then if he is good he gets his big payday. But my guess is dude is gonna take the money and run if he does I will lol cause the teams he could go to are not that good.
          GO BRONCOS AFC Champs!!!
          sigpic

Comment

And 3/4 of the people on this board were saying we wouldn't offer more then 12 13 hahaha. Brock is a future franchise QB. I can see him signing for 16m per year. Elway will not let him go and make us go back to a mediocre team with no quarterback. We are the Denver Broncos not the Browns.

.... Elway is prolly gonna let him go.. Lol

Comment

• Originally posted by IAMRED View Post
              .... Elway is prolly gonna let him go.. Lol
              I guess we will see. Let me ask you this. Why would he let him go? For what? Malik is gone. Danny is gone. We have the money. What other quarterback is going to give us the chance to win more then Brock? That is why he will get the money he wants. And should get.

Comment

I guess we will see. Let me ask you this. Why would he let him go? For what? Malik is gone. Danny is gone. We have the money. What other quarterback is going to give us the chance to win more then Brock? That is why he will get the money he wants. And should get.
                Because he's not as over-valued in reality as he is in your head.

Comment

Because he's not as over-valued in reality as he is in your head.
                  If the reports of the contract offer are accurate, I think that lends a lot of credence to the belief that Elway sees Osweiler as the QB that will lead the team going forward. You don't offer 3 years $45 million to a player that you don't believe in and you're ready to let walk. You offer them 3 years $27 million and tell them that's the best you can do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                    If the reports of the contract offer are accurate, I think that lends a lot of credence to the belief that Elway sees Osweiler as the QB that will lead the team going forward. You don't offer 3 years $45 million to a player that you don't believe in and you're ready to let walk. You offer them 3 years $27 million and tell them that's the best you can do.
                    No, it sounds like he values Brock; yes. But he's not going to over-pay (which he border-line is) this contract is not going to get any sweeter. Here it is in front of Brock's face. It''s take it or leave it. If he wants more he can be overpaid elsewhere

Comment

No, it sounds like he values Brock; yes. But he's not going to over-pay (which he border-line is) this contract is not going to get any sweeter. Here it is in front of Brock's face. It''s take it or leave it. If he wants more he can be overpaid elsewhere
                      Oh I agree, and I doubt the contract is actually 3 years at $15 million per season, it might have a total value of $45 million but the cap numbers and base salaries will escalate through the years.

But by making this contract offer Elway is making a statement that he believes in Osweiler and thinks he can be that guy, now it's a matter of whether Osweiler will agree and take this contract with the knowledge that he'll be rewarded very well in a year or two if he keeps improving.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                        Oh I agree, and I doubt the contract is actually 3 years at $15 million per season, it might have a total value of $45 million but the cap numbers and base salaries will escalate through the years.

But by making this contract offer Elway is making a statement that he believes in Osweiler and thinks he can be that guy, now it's a matter of whether Osweiler will agree and take this contract with the knowledge that he'll be rewarded very well in a year or two if he keeps improving.

I agree with you entirely. Look, I'm not saying "Brock sucks, let him go" I am just saying that Elway is not going to in-debt ourselves to Osweiler. Does he want him to stay? Heck yeah, he's Elways hand picked Second Rounder. However that doesn't make him 'irreplaceable'. Losing Brock would bite yes, but we have a Championship team here. We CAN recover.

Saying that Elway "can't let go of Brock" makes it sound like he's letting go of Miller. But if Brock's agent pushes for more than the 3-year 45 mill, you can guarantee he will be making his money in Cleveland or Houston next year.

Comment

• If Oz doesn't sign he's an embacle. I'd pull my shoulder out of socket trying to get my pen out of my pocket at Mach 2

Comment

• Originally posted by orange crush75 View Post
                            If Oz doesn't sign he's an embacle. I'd pull my shoulder out of socket trying to get my pen out of my pocket at Mach 2
                            I think the word you meant was "imbecile".

And what you would play for is irrelevant unless you are a professional QB with the skills to do the job.

From what little details we have it seems to be a fair offer for Osweiler. But we have no clue what back channel information his agent may have. We have no real details of the Broncos offer either. It could below market value in guaranteed money or unrealistic incentives. Right now it is a media move by Elway to create some pressure and give the fans a feeling he is "doing all he can" .

Professional athletes are so far out of "normal" standards for salary. I think some fans have no sense of reality. Not sure what business you are in but would you take 20% less to stay at your current job? Would you be excited about a promotion, increased prestige and 20% salary guaranteed increase with a rival company. Or do you love your current boss location and position so much you are willing to give that "home town discount" to stay? Every man and woman has to decide that for themselves.

Even if this 3yr/$45M contract is close. You realize that would still make him outside the top 20 of what QBs get paid. We can argue all day whether Osweiler belongs in the top 20 performance wise not just this year but also considering his potential.

Comment

• The "Brockweiler" has been patiently waiting in the wings, learning from the master! He Bailed us out when PFM went down. He is deserving of a nice Pay day!!

Comment

• Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                                The "Brockweiler" has been patiently waiting in the wings, learning from the master! He Bailed us out when PFM went down. He is deserving of a nice Pay day!!
                                Agreed, and from Denver

Comment

Working...
                                X