Ware and Clady restructure their contracts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    1) No, that's why Sexton told Oz to "go dark." Sexton went for the money and talked Oz into doing the same thing. Like I said; it's pretty simple.

2) It's not an assumption. Are you unfamiliar with the way agents gets paid?

3) No, sorry, he was given a chance and he played like crap. It's not a matter of me accepting anything. The guy rides a desk now. Explain that.
    1. As a responsible agent Sexton likely listened to his client who clearly didn't want to return to Denver. Sexton used Denvers initial offer and then likely told the TExans come back to my client with 18 mil a season and if you do we won't even bother going back to Denver to try and match. Likely based on the timing Houston took 3-4 days and then pulled the trigger.

2. As an agent there are two things he wants. The first is get the most for his client and 2. listen to his clients needs. #2 may in fact be a higher priority for the player than #1...

3. As much as you and I seem to be aligned on the whole Brock thing we greatly differ on the Tim thing. He was and could still be a starting QB. He was 9-7 as a starter and was 1-1 in the play-offs. We need to be realistic though. He is a polarizing player. Due to his vocal religious nature that will either inspire people or rub others the wrong way. He also has a real drive and desire to JUST WIN. The problem is he rarely wins by large margins or racks up a lead. This style of play can also rub some players the wrong way. all of that said he does win and he did win. So to say he cannot or was not an NFL caliber QB is just wrong. He may not be the style of NFL QB teams want but he certainly is good enough to play at the NFL level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
      Mike Klis is reporting that Elway wanted Clady to slash his salary below $5 million and Clady would not go below $6 million. I don't blame Clady here. Donald Stephenson, our RT who was a career backup at KC, just signed a 3-year, $14 million contract with $10 million guaranteed. Even though injuries have lowered Clady's value, $6 million/year for a starting LT with Clady's talent sounds like a good deal in today's market. Yes, Russell Okung will play this season with a $5 million salary, but he has no agent and negotiated an awful deal for himself, with no guaranteed money. Okung is an exception in today's NFL.
      Okung's deal was a bet on myself type deal. As a Denver fan I love it. What it will go for Okung if he comes in and plays really well is help to bolster his value to other teams if Denver wishes to move on. Ware will likely retire or move on after this season and that will allow the Broncos to potentially bring back Okung for the 48 mil extension. What Clady is effectively saying is I am not willing to bet on myself. I don't blame him but it will impact where and if he even plays football again.

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
      Ryan Clady has a large contract. Based on the past three seasons, there is better than a 50% chance he won't complete the coming season. Denver has little cap space, so he was asked to take a significant pay cut. He hasn't. Denver signed Russell Okung.

Ryan needs to decide if he is going to play football. If he wants to, he needs to decide if he wants to stay a Bronco. If he does, he will need to take a pay cut. If he doesn't, he will be traded or released. DeMarcus Ware rearranged his contract. If Clady wants to play football in Denver, he needs to come to some agreement with John Elway. If he can, it would be great for the team.
      It could be great for the team but who would play where? OKung is a LT and has played at a high level. So has Clady (just not in the past 3 years). IMO given where he is at and how well he played when he was "Healthy" in 2014 he is worth MAYBE 4.5 - 5 mil. Then the dilemma is who do you have kick out to the right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
        1. As a responsible agent Sexton likely listened to his client who clearly didn't want to return to Denver. Sexton used Denvers initial offer and then likely told the TExans come back to my client with 18 mil a season and if you do we won't even bother going back to Denver to try and match. Likely based on the timing Houston took 3-4 days and then pulled the trigger.

2. As an agent there are two things he wants. The first is get the most for his client and 2. listen to his clients needs. #2 may in fact be a higher priority for the player than #1...

3. As much as you and I seem to be aligned on the whole Brock thing we greatly differ on the Tim thing. He was and could still be a starting QB. He was 9-7 as a starter and was 1-1 in the play-offs. We need to be realistic though. He is a polarizing player. Due to his vocal religious nature that will either inspire people or rub others the wrong way. He also has a real drive and desire to JUST WIN. The problem is he rarely wins by large margins or racks up a lead. This style of play can also rub some players the wrong way. all of that said he does win and he did win. So to say he cannot or was not an NFL caliber QB is just wrong. He may not be the style of NFL QB teams want but he certainly is good enough to play at the NFL level.
        The NFL is starved for QBs. The college football supply cannot meet the NFL demand. Tim Tebow went to camp with four teams and is now out of the game. He wanted to be an NFL QB, but he isn't. If he could play the position he'd be on a team. Guys who don't complete more than half their pass attempts won't cut it in pro football.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

It could be great for the team but who would play where? OKung is a LT and has played at a high level. So has Clady (just not in the past 3 years). IMO given where he is at and how well he played when he was "Healthy" in 2014 he is worth MAYBE 4.5 - 5 mil. Then the dilemma is who do you have kick out to the right?
          In the event Okung, Clady and Stephenson were on the team, it's a matter of the best five shuffled to their best spots. If Clady is in the five, he probably ends up at one of the Tackle spots. If Stephenson doesn't, he's a proven Swing Tackle and dresses on game day.

Besides Okung, Clady and Stephenson, who are currently on the roster, Denver has Kyle Roberts, Cameron Jefferson and Darrion Weems all of whom were UDFAs IIRC. Teams don't normally carry four offensive tackles. O-Linemen are O-Linemen. Think Dave Diehl.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

• Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            In the event Okung, Clady and Stephenson were on the team, it's a matter of the best five shuffled to their best spots. If Clady is in the five, he probably ends up at one of the Tackle spots. If Stephenson doesn't, he's a proven Swing Tackle and dresses on game day.

Besides Okung, Clady and Stephenson, who are currently on the roster, Denver has Kyle Roberts, Cameron Jefferson and Darrion Weems all of whom were UDFAs IIRC. Teams don't normally carry four offensive tackles. O-Linemen are O-Linemen. Think Dave Diehl.
            Schofield...while he was not a great RT he is still..err was still a tackle.

Comment

We will have to agree to disagree on Tebow. I couldn't care less about the religious aspect of his personality. I'm a staunch defender of the US Constitution (I swore to uphold and defend it when I was active duty US NAVY) and regardless of my (lack of) beliefs I am willing to kill or die to protect your right to believe and express your own no matter who you are. We can toss that religious issue out the window because it has nothing to do with my opinion of him as a QB.

What I saw was a guy with distinct mental weaknesses that prevented him from being proficient at the position. He had all the physical tools in the world, and he certainly had some intangibles that helped him, but he simply can't run a modern Offense. He can't deliver the ball on time and on target. He can't read Defenses as a passer either pre-snap or while a play is going on. During the course of a game he hesitates in much the same way that Oz did but to a greater degree. In those games where we saw "Tebow Time" he morphed into a much more instinctual player and was able to be substantially more effective at the position. I think it was fairly obvious that once he fully accepted that it was a do or die situation he cast aside his mental blocks and became the gunslinger that he was capable of being. Unfortunately he simply was not able to achieve that mental state consistently over the course of an entire game and that rendered him unable to play QB at an NFL level. He left the game because he couldn't play QB and he wasn't willing to do anything else.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Schofield...while he was not a great RT he is still..err was still a tackle.
                He is nothing more than RG if he wants to make it on team. I said it from when we drafted him and I will say it now, it was an off the wall draft pick. One of the few....including TY, where I disagreed with Elway. Worst being Hillman over Lamar Miller.
                New England Patriots GM

Comment

Working...
                X