No announcement yet.

Broncos Courting Ryan Fitzpatrick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fitz is definitely a better option then Kap and RG3. At least Fitz has played well this past season. Kap and RG3 haven't played well in 3 seasons. I don't think Fitz is a down grade at all. Get him!!

Comment

I wouldn't mind Fitz, backed by some young talent.

I am not saying any of you are wrong, but I get a sense some will not be happy this year because we let Brock "go". Truth is he is still a bit of an unknown commodity. He has never been "the guy" and that's the role one must master. It's all fine and dandy until you become the dude with the fat wallet. And not saying he will underperform, it's just that, we need more evidence for what he is earning now.

I have to say it was kind of weird watching some of his press conference. He is definitely a guy with personality, and seems likable. But to see him in that seat, saying the right things, it just felt a little premature for him to be making that kind of bread. It seems like yesterday that he was still "the understudy". And even still, he has played so little.

Good for him. But it was a little odd. I think he will be fine, but he may not be as good as many think. And that's where I am not feeling too bad about our situation. We may end up with a better QB this year. Fitz is pretty good. Kaep, if managed properly, could be pretty good.

We have options, and at this point, we need not worry.

Time will tell.
      Last edited by CanDB; 03-10-2016, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
        I wouldn't mind Fitz, backed by some young talent.

I am not saying any of you are wrong, but I get a sense some will not be happy this year because we let Brock "go". Truth is he is still a bit of an unknown commodity. He has never been "the guy" and that's the role one must master. It's all fine and dandy until you become the dude with the fat wallet. And not saying he will underperform, it's just that, we need more evidence for what he is earning now.

I have to say it was kind of weird watching some of his press conference. He is definitely a guy with personality, and seems likable. But to see him in that seat, saying the right things, it just felt a little premature for him to be making that kind of bread. It seems like yesterday that he was still "the understudy". And even still, he has played so little.

Good for him. But it was a little odd. I think he will be fine, but he may not be as good as many think. And that's where I am not feeling too bad about our situation. We may end up with a better QB this year. Fitz is pretty good. Kaep, if managed properly, could be pretty good.

We have options, and at this point, we need not worry.

Time will tell.
        CanDB - always a voice or reason and encouragement

I've warmed up to the idea of Fitz. The drawback to Kap is potentially giving up our 2nd round pick, not to mention that after several seasons he is limited to one read. At the same time we need a quarterback.

Fitz can adapt quickly because he is experienced and played with many teams. Only hesitation with Fitz comes down to not beating the Bills to make the playoffs. He had his best season and worst game against the Bills. We have to consider that Rex did everything possible to beat the Jets. We have to consider that Fitz had his best season, in part because he was playing behind a very good O line - 3rd ranked pass protection.

Overall I think Fitz would be a good option at this point. According to reports the Jets are not willing to pay much higher than current offer. FA quarterback options are limited however the Jets are low on cap space.

Based on what the Jets are offering Fitz it seems we could give him a better deal and still come in well below what Brock was paid.

Getting Fitz signed would allow us to focus on other needs such as depth at DE, ILB and O line.

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
          CanDB - always a voice or reason and encouragement

I've warmed up to the idea of Fitz. The drawback to Kap is potentially giving up our 2nd round pick, not to mention that after several seasons he is limited to one read. At the same time we need a quarterback.

Fitz can adapt quickly because he is experienced and played with many teams. Only hesitation with Fitz comes down to not beating the Bills to make the playoffs. He had his best season and worst game against the Bills. We have to consider that Rex did everything possible to beat the Jets. We have to consider that Fitz had his best season, in part because he was playing behind a very good O line - 3rd ranked pass protection.

Overall I think Fitz would be a good option at this point. According to reports the Jets are not willing to pay much higher than current offer. FA quarterback options are limited however the Jets are low on cap space.

Based on what the Jets are offering Fitz it seems we could give him a better deal and still come in well below what Brock was paid.

Getting Fitz signed would allow us to focus on other needs such as depth at DE, ILB and O line.
          What's your guess on the range Fitzpatrick and his agent will ask?
          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
            doesn't he and Brock Osweiler share the same agent?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
              Here's the article that gives an indication of where Fitz and the Jets stand. We don't know the actual offer at this point. According to Shefter the two sides are far apart and the Jets are supposedly not moving up. Based on the article the Jets could be at $24 mil over 3 years with $12=24 mil guaranteed.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-free-agent-qb

Just a guess I think we would need to come in somewhere near $27 mil over 3 years with $14 guaranteed with most of that front loaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                doesn't he and Brock Osweiler share the same agent?
                Yes I believe so...

Comment

Steve sexton is both Fitz and brocks agent. And I think he is the reason this is happening. He knew jets were going to lowball Fitz. He also knew Houston wouldn't be in the picture for him since he had been there done that. So he gets the deal done with brock to texans. Closing that option so he opened up another option being the Broncos. Could now Sexton strike a rich deal for Fitz at the Broncos. It would be Agent genius.

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiBroncos View Post
                    Steve sexton is both Fitz and brocks agent. And I think he is the reason this is happening. He knew jets were going to lowball Fitz. He also knew Houston wouldn't be in the picture for him since he had been there done that. So he gets the deal done with brock to texans. Closing that option so he opened up another option being the Broncos. Could now Sexton strike a rich deal for Fitz at the Broncos. It would be Agent genius.
                    Sexton sure is making out well. Not sure it would be a rich deal for Fitz however he has leverage on the Jets and especially the Broncos. Not sure what the price will be but it can only go up given limited options for QBs.

Comment

I'm warming up to the idea myself. I think we could get him relatively cheap and he would give us a shot at a playoff run next season. We just need to make sure we hit on a couple of draft picks. Picks that could be wasted on Kaep and we don't even know if his head is on straight.

Elway has seen adversity like this before. He is keeping within the confines of his system and the culture is resembling that of Belichick in a way. Develop talent and don't over pay.
                      sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Sign Chad Henne for double what he made last year, then draft a QB in 2d/3d round and have three way duel with Siemian at QB come TC in summer.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
                          I'm warming up to the idea myself. I think we could get him relatively cheap and he would give us a shot at a playoff run next season. We just need to make sure we hit on a couple of draft picks. Picks that could be wasted on Kaep and we don't even know if his head is on straight.

Elway has seen adversity like this before. He is keeping within the confines of his system and the culture is resembling that of Belichick in a way. Develop talent and don't over pay.
                          Agree.

Initially I wasn't supportive of Fitz because overall he's been an average journeyman QB. You get mixed results from a guy like Fitz - had his best season then a clunker against the Bills to get into the playoffs. At the same time he's a veteran and in my opinion would not have risk like RG3 or Kap. He develops respect in the locker room. Marshal and Decker seemed to like playing with him and I think DT and Sanders would do the same.

Jets are offering him a really low contract relative to his value because they have very little cap space to work with. IMHO keep all of our draft picks and build.

If we can draft a high potential DE and LB that helps replace Malik and Danny T (not that we can replace them). Then we can focus on the O line, QB, RB and look at a WR prospect.

I know people feel like things are not looking good however I think this will turn out better than we think.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter01 View Post
                            I get all the bad hype about Fitz....but.....IMHO.......I value accuracy as #1 in an NFL QB......reading defenses #2.

He's accurate.....which means he can get the ball in our playmakers hands......let our defense do the rest......oh yeah, draft Henry in the first. Problems solved.
                            This is more where I am at. I'd be more inclined to go after Spriggs or Clark in the 1st and go after a RB in the 3rd. Keeping an accurate QB on his feet is important.

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                              Exactly...He's Kyle Orton with a much better beard...No thank you. I want a QB who can be around 5-10 years and keep us competitive.
                              That's what we all want....that may not be an option with any QB currently available.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                                This is more where I am at. I'd be more inclined to go after Spriggs or Clark in the 1st and go after a RB in the 3rd. Keeping an accurate QB on his feet is important.
                                Same here. Fitz is not a long term solution however can be a "bridge" to the future. He's solid enough - with an improved O line and RB we can get right back to the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X