• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos moves not worth panicking over

Good article.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3...panicking-over

Many of us are saying this, and meaning it. Here's why:
    1) We're the best team in The NFL since Elway took over
    2) Free Agency is a fact of life, and every year good players look for their pay day, and usually get it. No team can hang on to a bunch of top tier players, within the cap....unless they have a big bunch of extremely cheap players, some in key positions
    3) Even without Malik and Danny, our D is rock solid.....and coached by Wade
    4) Our Oline was a concern all year, and we won the whole thing. We will probably be noticeably better this season.
    5) We were ordinary at best at QB, and won the whole thing. Per Adam S and Ian R, the Sanchez acquisition is not our last maneuver at QB, and he will not be the starter.
    6) Elway is smart not overpaying, especially Brock. The odds that Brock will earn the contract he got from Houston are not good. He has weak spots, and will be defensed against accordingly. And unless he changes quickly, his on the field decision-making may be an impediment to his career.

Comment

Great Article, thank you.

This was my favorite part.

Fans: "Yeah, but we can ill afford to lose that many guys. What about the locker room and chemistry?"

Let's look at the other players and coaches who were classified with that distinction over the last few years.

Wesley Woodyard. Robert Ayers. Zane Beadles. J.D. Walton. Terrance Knighton. Julius Thomas. Orlando Franklin. Knowshon Moreno. Willis McGahee. Kevin Vickerson. Eric Decker. A former quarterback who throws left-handed. John Fox. Heck, some even panicked over Rahim Moore.

You can now add Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Brock Osweiler and C.J. Anderson to the list.

What's the common theme? They're all replaceable. They're not cornerstone building blocks to the continued success of the franchise. They're not Von Miller. They're not Chris Harris Jr. They're not Derek Wolfe. Despite what some may think, Denver felt that way when it paid Demaryius Thomas.

Of those on that list, who have the Broncos missed?

A grand total of zero. Yet every year around this time, this always happens.

The only aspect we're missing is a few midgets and Jerry Springer.
      sigpic

Comment

Every year people losing their heads about the moves we do make or do not make.

OMG we did not get a ILB in 2015.

OMG we did not get a "ubah NT" in 2015

OMG we gave Talib and Ware too big a contract in 2014 and did not address the Offense except a minor signing of Sanders.

OMG OMG OMG OMG

Hey we have a trophey so fresh the rings are not made yet.

We all want the next franchise qb but keep it real...the Broncos QB play as a whole was the 2nd worst in the NFL based on QB rating. How much did we really lose?

and I am real ... I was bummed about players lost in the past...bummed about some of the guys we lose this year.

It is the NFL people. Not Madden where you can stop the computer from the other teams making moves. There are 32 teams trying to win. Other teams will over pay the players on good teams. See Larry Brown, see Scott Mitchell, see Matt Flynn, see Willie McGinest....the list is long and it goes back to the days when free agency was a new thing.

Some people acting like this kind of stuff has never happened to anyone before and Elway is all the sudden is making mistakes.

I would do things differently but you know what...if I was doing things in the past I am not sure if we win Super Bowl 50...so I have faith

It is still Super Bowl or bust

We won the division with Tebow.

Personally I think we can win the division with Sanchez and a better OL. This guy took teams like ours to the Conf Champ game when he was younger and inexperienced.

and you know what....the new league year is what...a week old...if you think Elway is done then you been hanging around with your head in the dirt for the last 4 years.

The Sanchez move was not on anyone's radar....

It is possible Elway has other moves not on anyone's radar but his.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
          Great Article, thank you.

This was my favorite part.
          If I may. When some of those players left we were still in the Tebow era and yes while we went to the playoffs we were not winning THAT many games. The one constant we have had since then was a 1st ballot HOF QB on our roster and a handful of top notch FA acquisitions which we were able to get at a good to great price BECAUSE we had a 1st ballot HOF QB on our roster.

Fast forward to today.

Our QB which we had apparently groomed to take over was left with the impression that it was better for him to leave and not even negotiate with us. Our HOF QB retired. On top of that we let at least 2 key pieces of our defense walk. Now I think the defensive pieces can be replaced but you need to look no further than the bottom HALF of the league to see that not having a quality QB will hurt your chances of even making the play-offs let alone win the SB.

SO while those players are replaceable....we had a better core and a staple at Qb on our roster.

Comment

We';re also racking up high comp picks for the 2017 draft this offseason.
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

Would have made a bigger effort to keep Danny. Not tendering CJ a 2nd when he'd back at just under 875K or whatever was dumb.

Could also have gotten a better OT than Stephenson.

But i cant argue not paying Malik/Brock that kinda money.

But most of the players Elway lets walk dont do as well as they have in Denver.

Most likely will be loaded in comp picks next year again.

Comment

Originally posted by ERoyal248 View Post
                Would have made a bigger effort to keep Danny. Not tendering CJ a 2nd when he'd back at just under 875K or whatever was dumb.

Could also have gotten a better OT than Stephenson.

But i cant argue not paying Malik/Brock that kinda money.

But most of the players Elway lets walk dont do as well as they have in Denver.

Most likely will be loaded in comp picks next year again.
                Sure we could be but if our goal was to try and retain Brock then why not sign him to a deal last year or the year before? We would have gotten him much much cheaper. Same with Malik...

Comment

I like the quote: "The fans of the Denver Broncos have to be talked off the ledge when free agency starts. It's to the point now we should shove them off."
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Of all the players we have lost so far, I feel MJ MAY have the biggest impact. That said, in Elway I trust. He has a football IQ thats off the charts. I think Mark Sanchez is trade bait for the 9ers. I would pit Elway against those idiots in San Fran any day of the week.

Comment

Just apart of sports. Fans see players leave and just panic. Doesn't matter the caliber the player. As long as a franchise player is still on the team, the team is fine. We didn't lose Von, didn't lose Ware, still got Wolfe, Harris and Talib are still back there. In the people that left can be replaced with people already on the roster, in we know how Elway seeks FA's so their replacement through FA will probably be better than them anyway.

We didn't lose anybody that can't be lost. Os walked? Okay how many people thought Os was a franchise QB? I liked the guy and wanted him to be our starter over Manning and next season, but that doesn't mean I think he should get back like he's the future. And I'm sure thats how most of us felt. Wouldn't mind keeping him, but wouldn't want him if the money wasn't right.

But bottom line is fans overreact.
                      sigpic
                      Adopted Broncos:
                      EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by InsaneBlaze23 View Post
                        Just apart of sports. Fans see players leave and just panic. Doesn't matter the caliber the player. As long as a franchise player is still on the team, the team is fine. We didn't lose Von, didn't lose Ware, still got Wolfe, Harris and Talib are still back there. In the people that left can be replaced with people already on the roster, in we know how Elway seeks FA's so their replacement through FA will probably be better than them anyway.

We didn't lose anybody that can't be lost. Os walked? Okay how many people thought Os was a franchise QB? I liked the guy and wanted him to be our starter over Manning and next season, but that doesn't mean I think he should get back like he's the future. And I'm sure thats how most of us felt. Wouldn't mind keeping him, but wouldn't want him if the money wasn't right.

But bottom line is fans overreact.
                        I liked Brock to, but I like a lot of players if they want to be Broncos like Ware, Harris, and Wolfe they will make it work. Brock did not want to be a Denver Bronco and I don't want players here that don't want to be.
                        sigpic

Comment

I have to agree that these players are replaceable - I was, as others say, ready for Brock's era to begin but realized when we benched him (and I am sure am quoted here and with all my friends) that Brock will be gone because of it. He will quickly learn the difference between the 2 organizations and what it is like to be part of a top-tier organization and what he has now. I get that the money played a big factor, but many reports show that he wasn't interested in coming back and the way we handled both QBs down the stretch and after the SB will put a bad taste in the mouths of many players looking to re-sign or sign here. I think we handled it really poorly and it has shown up really quickly. It is really hard to manage the end of a career of a HOF player...

Comment

Next year's Offense Class....especially RB class is loaded next year. Perhaps this offseason isn't flashy, but with us letting this many people go, and accumulating Comp picks, and the fact that they can be traded next year, gives us more ammo and flexibility to maneuver as we will to get some players on Offense. McCaffrey, Davin Cook, Chubbs...you never know. Plus we are freeing up cap space for our future. I'm loving this Off-Season...its just a stop-gap till we find the pieces we need again.
                            New England Patriots GM

Comment

Working...
                            X