John Elway and the Defending Champion Broncos Lose Big in Free Agency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    IMO any discussion of the free agency period should begin with placing the franchise tag on Von Miller. His plays produced Denver's two TDs in Super Bowl 50. I think his tag is c. 14/15 million $. When he signs a long-term deal, it will probably be in excess of 100 million $.

The next item in Denver free agency news which should be mentioned, IMO, is the retirement of Peyton Manning. That freed up c. 19 million $ which is noteworthy.

Malik Jackson signing with Jacksonville and not a division rival for 90 million $ was big; so big that Denver couldn't afford both him and Von. I think they picked the right guy.

Elway offered as much as he could, maybe more than he should, to keep Brock Osweiler who clearly did not want to stay in Denver. Time will tell if he is worth 18 million $ per year.

Danny Trevathan will be missed, but soon replaced with little or no dropoff in production at the position.

Denver will most likely receive compensatory picks next year for Jackson, Osweiler and Trevathan.

Denver released Louis Vasquez, Owen Daniels, Aaron Brewer, signed Donald Stephenson and traded for Mark Sanchez. DeMarcus Ware has restructured his contract and Ryan Clady may do so as well.

Elway doesn't have much room to operate, but he and his staff are working on a roster. There are fifteen other free agents, twelve of whom are unrestricted, from last season's roster. There will be new faces this year, especially in the offensive backfield as well as some on the O-Line.
    I honestly don't think replacing Trevathan is as easy as you make it sound
    Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
      I honestly don't think replacing Trevathan is as easy as you make it sound
      I guess we'll just need to wait and see what happens. I'm not worried about losing a 4/5 tech and an Inside Backer from the starting lineup, but maybe I'm too calm.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I guess we'll just need to wait and see what happens. I'm not worried about losing a 4/5 tech and an Inside Backer from the starting lineup, but maybe I'm too calm.
        well Trevathan was worth an offer at the very least. Every time he has been an active Bronco they have gone on to the Super bowl - coincidence? Maybe...but he is a producer and talented at ILB. Hard to say if we'll see someone as strong as him, maybe Kenny Anunike? We still got Wolfe so that makes it a little better.

And no, it's good to have calm people on this board! Don't change
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
          well Trevathan was worth an offer at the very least. Every time he has been an active Bronco they have gone on to the Super bowl - coincidence? Maybe...but he is a producer and talented at ILB. Hard to say if we'll see someone as strong as him, maybe Kenny Anunike? We still got Wolfe so that makes it a little better.

And no, it's good to have calm people on this board! Don't change
          Kenny Anunike is currently listed as a DE which is 4/5 tech in Phillips' odd front. I hope his coming season is injury free. It would be nice if he could be a part of filling Malik Jackson's spot. If he could gain 10-15 pounds of muscle, it might help. He has the frame for it.

Todd Davis will probably get the opportunity to line up next to Brandon Marshall. I think Denver may find another Backer either in free agency or the draft, but I expect to see Davis start.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Kenny Anunike is currently listed as a DE which is 4/5 tech in Phillips' odd front. I hope his coming season is injury free. It would be nice if he could be a part of filling Malik Jackson's spot. If he could gain 10-15 pounds of muscle, it might help. He has the frame for it.

Todd Davis will probably get the opportunity to line up next to Brandon Marshall. I think Denver may find another Backer either in free agency or the draft, but I expect to see Davis start.
            I hope Kenny has an injury free year as well, as he can show the Broncos what he's worth. Also I wonder if Zaire Anderson is going to be put in more games as well
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Working...
            X