Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If A.J. McCarron is an option, Peter King says Broncos should make a trade

http://broncoswire.usatoday.com/2016...engals-rumors/

Last summer, the Denver Broncos came close to signing then-free agent quarterback Tyrod Taylor. The former Baltimore Ravens backup quarterback ended up signing with the Bills for less than Denver offered because he believed he could win Buffalo’s starting job (he was right).

Trading for Taylor now seems unlikely since he is the Bills’ starter (it’s unlikely that Buffalo would be willing to go back to E.J. Manuel). But there’s a non-starting quarterback that Denver could trade for, and his name is not Colin Kaepernick (though he is also an option).

Meet A.J. McCarron, everyone.

McCarron was drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals out of Alabama in the fifth round of the 2014 NFL Draft. When Andy Dalton was injured last season, McCarron was thrust into Cincy’s starting lineup, and he played well.

Well enough, Peter King believes, to draw interest from Denver.

Just a few reminders about Cincinnati backup AJ McCarron, who I maintain would be the best option for Denver in the wake of losing Brock Osweiler:

• In the last four games of the regular season, when McCarron played for the injured Andy Dalton, McCarron completed 69, 71, 63 and 63 percent of his passes, including a 63-percent day against the league’s top defense, Denver.

(…)

• Points per games in 2015, in games they started and played the whole game: Osweiler 20.5, McCarron 20.3.

I’d call Bengals boss Mike Brown if I were John Elway, just to check out McCarron’s availability.

Elway may have already thought of that, but it’s hard to picture Cincinnati being willing to give up McCarron, even if he is No. 2 on the depth chart.

When the Broncos introduced Mark Sanchez with a press conference Monday, the new quarterback said he will compete for the team’s starting job. Here’s a list of five quarterbacks that Denver could add to give Sanchez competition this summer.

McCarron was mentioned on one of our previous lists of QB options.
    sigpic

I'd be real happy to get McCarron. Dude has the guts to gun them in there and really does not play any type of scared and is actually pretty damn good..

In all reality. I'd give a 2nd for him....and you really gotta consider....if you absolutely have to give up that first?? I'd consider it. Might even do it. I like McCarron

Don't hate Sanchez either tho but obviously would prefer those 2 battle it out in TC

Comment

I wouldn't trust an Alabama quarterback.
      My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
      You Mad Bro?

Comment

I think AJ and Sanchez same qb.

Obviously Sanchez potential is known....AJ is not yet determined. Sanchez has exp including going deep in playoffs with a def team. AJ is young with little exp.

I just feel they both have same skill sets.

I like AJ but at this point if we can not get a qb for a 3rd or 4th next year (my 1st choice) I would just draft one and be good.

I do not think the Bengals will give us a deal we can live with.
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
          I think AJ and Sanchez same qb.

Obviously Sanchez potential is known....AJ is not yet determined. Sanchez has exp including going deep in playoffs with a def team. AJ is young with little exp.

I just feel they both have same skill sets.

I like AJ but at this point if we can not get a qb for a 3rd or 4th next year (my 1st choice) I would just draft one and be good.

I do not think the Bengals will give us a deal we can live with.
          Completely agree that they are the same guy.

Also, now that Denver is floundering for a QB CIncy would make us give them a 1st.

Whoever above me said it best, don't trust QBs from Alabama. USC either.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

The bengals have no reason to trade him and probably wont trade him unless they are given an offer they can't refuse. I'm thinking that means a 2nd round pick.

Comment

To be honest, I think Sanchez can do everything we need him to do. It would be good to get some competition for him, but I think he can be a good QB for a stacked D team like Denver. I'd like to so more action on FA Rbs that can block and less action of getting more QBs but Elway knows what he's doing and I'm sure he has Iron in many fires that we don't know about and will strike them at a moments notice, like the sanchez thing.

It's painful for the inpatient (me) but it keeps us on the edge of our seat. It's a great drama!!
              In Elway We Trust

Comment

Would rather draft a qb.
                Glen Haven Fire

Comment

John Elway > Peter King

Who the hell is Peter King anyway? We have 2 QB's and will have a 3rd in the draft. AJ will not come cheap!
                  [sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                    John Elway > Peter King

Who the hell is Peter King anyway? We have 2 QB's and will have a 3rd in the draft. AJ will not come cheap!
                    Seems like an overly aggressive take on something a columnist has to say
                    Administrator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post

Someone has to keep them on their toes
                      Glen Haven Fire

Comment

Originally posted by RunYouOver View Post
                        Exactly! He's a columnist for crying out loud.

I may have still been stinging from our 6th place standing on todays Power Rankings.
                        [sigpic

Comment

There is no way I'd want us to trade for somebody's back-up. It's not like he's being groomed to take over and will be allowed to test F/A like Brock. He's a backup and has Cassel written all over him. If we're gonna waste high draft picks and trade for a QB, It's gotta be somebody truly worth it. They're gonna want something insane like a 2nd and better. That's just plain insane. I'd rather give two 1st and a 3rd to Det and get Stafford if I'm gonna waste picks!
                          #swapping

Comment

I read Cincinnati wants a 2nd. If that is true, we could just draft a QB. Why give up a 2nd or a 3rd for a backup QB drafted in the 5th round a few years ago?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                              I read Cincinnati wants a 2nd. If that is true, we could just draft a QB. Why give up a 2nd or a 3rd for a backup QB drafted in the 5th round a few years ago?
                              Because he is the 2nd coming of Elway, I read that on the internet so it must be true
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
                              X