Grading Denver Broncos' Free Agency So Far

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grading Denver Broncos' Free Agency So Far

Now that the dust has settled this is a summary of Elway's FA moves.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...cisions/page/9

I am loving this Off-season. To me, the biggest part of that article is when it talks about how Elway is two steps ahead...because we are. We recognize market value and when people are going to overpay. We recognized we were in cap trouble and this year We had to be frugal to prepare for the years to come. Two of the highest paid Free Agents this year came from our team. We are doing just fine.
    New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
      I am loving this Off-season. To me, the biggest part of that article is when it talks about how Elway is two steps ahead...because we are. We recognize market value and when people are going to overpay. We recognized we were in cap trouble and this year We had to be frugal to prepare for the years to come. Two of the highest paid Free Agents this year came from our team. We are doing just fine.
      Agree. This article provided perspective. The initial reactions in the media painted a picture as if Elway lost control - quite the opposite. Even a more modest contract with Malik would have severely limited other moves. Looking at the Osweiler situation it would have been crazy to overpay. Maybe it works out for Houston but glad Elway did not "reach" to him. Elway proved he is not tied to past decisions. He drafted Osweiler and developed him but willing to let go. Letting go is just as important has holding depending on the situation - sort of like holding a stock too long when you need to sell and move on.
      Last edited by Fantaztic7; 03-22-2016, 05:50 AM. Reason: Add

Comment

I know the OL moves are not sexy but they were good moves considering we did not have multiple 10mil in cap space like other teams.

Do not under estimate how much better this team will be even if the OL can become average
        Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Grading Elway's moves in free agency at this point is premature.

Denver's defense lost two starters. Only time will tell if their production and contributions will be adequately replaced. Will Malik Jackson be as good a 3 tech in a split front as he was a 4/5 tech in an odd front? 15 million $ worth?

Time will tell if Houston's new 18 million $ QB will help the Texans win the division and advance in the playoffs. What if he doesn't?

Will C.J. Anderson and Russell Okung play in all the games this year? Will Denver's offense be better and will their D be just as good?

If free agency isn't over yet, why are we grading it?
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            I know the OL moves are not sexy but they were good moves considering we did not have multiple 10mil in cap space like other teams.

Do not under estimate how much better this team will be even if the OL can become average
            Exactly. QB doesn't scare me with this teams, our wins are predicated with the dominace our Defense can and will be.
            New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Grading Elway's moves in free agency at this point is premature.

Denver's defense lost two starters. Only time will tell if their production and contributions will be adequately replaced. Will Malik Jackson be as good a 3 tech in a split front as he was a 4/5 tech in an odd front? 15 million $ worth?

Time will tell if Houston's new 18 million $ QB will help the Texans win the division and advance in the playoffs. What if he doesn't?

Will C.J. Anderson and Russell Okung play in all the games this year? Will Denver's offense be better and will their D be just as good?

If free agency isn't over yet, why are we grading it?
              Good point Sam, So I will say that I have us at a Solid B....at this point so far. Really like the idea of trading our 5th and Clady for Mike Glennon prior to draft, or on Draft day.
              New England Patriots GM

Comment

Good point Sam, So I will say that I have us at a Solid B....at this point so far. Really like the idea of trading our 5th and Clady for Mike Glennon prior to draft, or on Draft day.
                Hey! That's Baltimore's fifth round pick, #144. I want that one!

So, if you got Glennon, is he the QB of the future? If not, do you also draft a QB of the future? How does Siemian fit into the future? Do you get Glennon, draft a QB and have four QBs?

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  Hey! That's Baltimore's fifth round pick, #144. I want that one!

So, if you got Glennon, is he the QB of the future? If not, do you also draft a QB of the future? How does Siemian fit into the future? Do you get Glennon, draft a QB and have four QBs?
                  I would still consider Prescott or Hogan late. Let them battle it out....with everyone. I'm sold or invested in no QB situation at this point. Let the best man win. If they produce and show promise...then maybe. But If a Glennon trade were to happen(which isn't even speculation, just merely an idea) it would would bring a tall talented QB(something that Elway has shown to like) but more importantly....it gets Clady's lucrative contract off our books.
                  New England Patriots GM

Comment

We've made a few slip ups in the offseason but I'm glad we didn't overspend on some of the players we let go....

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Sanchez signing, the draft will be more telling of how that will work out.

Comment

Let's be honest, this free agency period has been a mad scramble for a loose ball since Brock left. Although I think we made the right decision, the way it played out showed bad strategic planning. Elway got out played, didn't have the foresight to develop a Plan B and we lost some direction. I am glad we improved the O-Line. But we overpaid for CJ. We haven't improved our running back situation and let bargain pickups (Alf Morris) go to Dallas.

There are only so many RBs, DLs, and QBs we can draft in April to make this free agency period look like we maximized our roster.

I have to give us a C-.

Comment

I would still consider Prescott or Hogan late. Let them battle it out....with everyone. I'm sold or invested in no QB situation at this point. Let the best man win. If they produce and show promise...then maybe. But If a Glennon trade were to happen(which isn't even speculation, just merely an idea) it would would bring a tall talented QB(something that Elway has shown to like) but more importantly....it gets Clady's lucrative contract off our books.
                        Right. Any trade would accomplish that, and would be worth the cap space.

Comment

Not a whole lot to grade. Think we swapped out Okung for Clady, signed a swing OT in Donaldson hoping there is upside, and retained a RB for more $$$ than we would have had to pay him if we had offered a contract before FA (just my opinion).

Teams are not built through FA anyways, need another great draft, but still think this is more of a transition year. Most times a new HC means turnover, we did not really have that last year...think this year we will, at least in starters: Trev, Daniels, MJ, Mathis, Vasquez, LT, RT, and QB...that is 8 new starters out of 22, not to mention we are definitely not as deep in some areas as we were last year.

Hope we find 3-4 starters in this draft, maybe not for this year but hopefully good guys for 2017.
                          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Interesting to say the least.

In my opinion players lost, particularly Jackson going for the money is not a bad as most think.

QB, one retired the other jumped ship. This is costly or is it ? Time will tell.

Beef up the O-line, and get our running back signed are the best points

Injured players getting healthier are going to play a big part this year.

Draft in a month will be interesting and should keep the Bronco's in the news.

Cant wait till next year as I believe we will be very competitive.

Comment

I for one m ok with it, granted thought brock would be a part of it and I imagine so did Elway
                              but every year he sees the teams weak spot, and fixes it

last year the oline was the biggest issue on the team, although Manning was terrible he more then likely is adequate with better protection...which harris and schofield couldn't give.

he has upgraded the LT and RT positions, and in my opinion with vasquez and Mathis not being suited for zbs the injection of Garcia and sambrailo should solidify our line greatly over last year

I go into this season with the view that even sanchez with good weapons, a good oline and a solid run game should be easily capable of out preforming mannings 2015 season...he cant really be worse than 9 tds to 17 ints

trev was a loss, but not a unreplacable one, malik was good, but not worth what hes being paid, he needs to thank VON, ware, Wade and Wolfe for his money
                              sigpic
                              when do native Americans become human and not mascots

Comment

Working...
                              X