Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grading Denver Broncos' Free Agency So Far

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    Let's be honest, this free agency period has been a mad scramble for a loose ball since Brock left. Although I think we made the right decision, the way it played out showed bad strategic planning. Elway got out played, didn't have the foresight to develop a Plan B and we lost some direction. I am glad we improved the O-Line. But we overpaid for CJ. We haven't improved our running back situation and let bargain pickups (Alf Morris) go to Dallas.

    There are only so many RBs, DLs, and QBs we can draft in April to make this free agency period look like we maximized our roster.

    I have to give us a C-.
    The article had a good take on move to keep CJ. Assuming we use CJ as the featured back, the pro-rated signing us over the contract he only has a cap hit of $2.08 million in 2016. Broncos saved money in 2016 by letting the market establish CJ's price and now we have him locked up for four years instead of one.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by osfantaztic
      Watch these highlights of Sanchez vs. Panthers and forget anything else you've seen or heard

      http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelph...hez-highlights
      Link shows JJ Watt
      Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
        Link shows JJ Watt
        Wow! You, too? I thought I was hallucinating.
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

        Comment


        • #19
          Sam and broncoslover115 - sorry not sure what happened. Here's the link hopefully it works!

          http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelph...hez-highlights
          Last edited by Fantaztic7; 03-22-2016, 09:13 PM.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
            Sam and broncoslover115 - sorry not sure what happened. Here's the link hopefully it works!

            http://www.nfl.com/videos/philadelph...hez-highlights
            It did. He also quarterbacked some other wins for the Eagles in 2014, at Dallas and at NYG.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              It did. He also quarterbacked some other wins for the Eagles in 2014, at Dallas and at NYG.
              Great job. Great pocket awareness.
              Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                Wow! You, too? I thought I was hallucinating.
                Well....who says you weren't?
                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

                Comment


                • #23
                  I think people forget Sanchez has shown decent stretches of good qb play. Specially in NYJ he showed he could lead a team like we need a qb to lead a team.

                  He will never carry a team like Brady, Rodgers or PM ... which seems to be the judge stick for every qb now a days. That kind of qb play and teams relying on it do not win the Super Bowl very often tho.

                  We do not need that qb....if people read my comments a year ago I made the point that kind of qb is obviously nice to have when he is needed but on the team we trying to build some qbs like that may try to do too much.

                  Sanchez has the skillsets we want for a team like this. He has never been part of a franchise who will support and help the qb grow like our franchise will.

                  Not sure what we will see from Sanchez in 2016....I think it is very possible we will see the best we have ever seen as he finally has coaches who will build his strengths into the offensive game plan on a level he has never seen.

                  If Sanchez is still our qb in 2017 I am pretty confident everyone will be shocked at the qb we see in a good way.
                  Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                    I think people forget Sanchez has shown decent stretches of good qb play. Specially in NYJ he showed he could lead a team like we need a qb to lead a team.

                    He will never carry a team like Brady, Rodgers or PM ... which seems to be the judge stick for every qb now a days. That kind of qb play and teams relying on it do not win the Super Bowl very often tho.

                    We do not need that qb....if people read my comments a year ago I made the point that kind of qb is obviously nice to have when he is needed but on the team we trying to build some qbs like that may try to do too much.

                    Sanchez has the skillsets we want for a team like this. He has never been part of a franchise who will support and help the qb grow like our franchise will.

                    Not sure what we will see from Sanchez in 2016....I think it is very possible we will see the best we have ever seen as he finally has coaches who will build his strengths into the offensive game plan on a level he has never seen.

                    If Sanchez is still our qb in 2017 I am pretty confident everyone will be shocked at the qb we see in a good way.
                    If Sanchez is the starter, he needs to run the offense and take care of the ball. If the O-Line can generate a viable rushing attack, offensive production will be balanced and effective.

                    In his six seasons in Arizona, Jake Plummer had a losing record and threw more picks than TDs. Under Kubiak, he turned that around. If Kubiak can get whoever the QB turns out to be to run his offense and take care of the ball, the D will win the turnover battle. If STs play like they did last year, they will win the FP battle.

                    It will be very interesting to see how Denver's revamped O will do in 2016.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      Grading Elway's moves in free agency at this point is premature.

                      Denver's defense lost two starters. Only time will tell if their production and contributions will be adequately replaced. Will Malik Jackson be as good a 3 tech in a split front as he was a 4/5 tech in an odd front? 15 million $ worth?

                      Time will tell if Houston's new 18 million $ QB will help the Texans win the division and advance in the playoffs. What if he doesn't?

                      Will C.J. Anderson and Russell Okung play in all the games this year? Will Denver's offense be better and will their D be just as good?

                      If free agency isn't over yet, why are we grading it?
                      I agree, it really can't be accurately assessed until the end of the season. If Os flops, if Malik and Danny aren't impact players in their new homes, and/or if our new linemen and QB do well and our team racks up a dozen wins and makes the playoffs despite the changes, then the media (like Greg Rosenthal in particular with his D+ grade for the Broncos ) will see it differently and Elway will be hailed as a genius!

                      The media is always just reaching to write something about whatever's happening. Draft grades are always ridiculously premature too as that usually takes years to fully evaluate!

                      Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Well I understand the grade thing that goes on every year. It's speculation, and mostly opinion. Some years I do believe that you can grade early, like when Elway went out and acquired Manning, or when he realized we weren't strong enough defensively, and landed Ware, Ward and Talib. Overall it's more fun to do than anything. Not like we sports nuts haven't enough to think about!

                        As for this offseason, and often the case in other years, there usually is a theme. I think the two offseasons I referred to had themes. And this season is no different. It's about effective use of resources, while maintaining our positon as a contender. So in that regard, we have had to be budget conscious....not surprising, that's the case of most contenders. You can not pay everyone, especially when you have a lot of quality players.

                        So it comes down to cap management and careful assessment of who stays long term.....while keeping the draft in close proximity.

                        Clearly we are still a bit at odds, in terms of the QB position. But I get the sense that Elway is in no panic at all. He has a game plan. He is not going to overpay (by too much), as evidenced by his actions in previous negotiations.

                        So yes, grading is fun, but the reality is you have to have a total understanding of the big picture to appreciate what teams do or don't do.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          My only gripe is with how we handled Osweiler.

                          If we didn't think he was the guy, we shouldn't have tried to keep him at 12m per year either. We should have just given him his walking papers from the beginning so we could be more proactive with the rest of our free agency, instead of having to wait for him to make up his mind.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            It's a bummer we lost Brock, but we went with Plan A--and it got us a championship.

                            We haven't seen the entirety of what Elway will do yet.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X