Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

22 million dollars a year when contract talks open up! Wowza...

That doesn't surprise me....It's going to be interesting seeing how we make that happen, but it's not more than he deserves.
    sigpic

Comment

As Malkovich said in Rounders, "Pay him his money"!!!
      sigpic

Comment

While I agree he had earned a big new contract. It's hard to pay a single player that much money even with the cap growing.

Comment

Where did you hear this, just out of interest?

I don't think Elway will give him $22M/yr. We can have him for just over $14M this year on the tag, then around $18M in 2017, and then around $23M in 2018. It would make no sense for us to sign him long term right now to $22M/yr given the tag numbers.

Personally, I see a similar situation to DT, with an agreement being made right on the deadline. My guess is around $17.5-18M/yr.
          2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

How much of that 22mil is he wanting guaranteed? That DT contract drives me nuts.
            :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uknflfan View Post

I don't think Elway will give him $22M/yr. We can have him for just over $14M this year on the tag, then around $18M in 2017, and then around $23M in 2018. It would make no sense for us to sign him long term right now to $22M/yr given the tag numbers.

Personally, I see a similar situation to DT, with an agreement being made right on the deadline. My guess is around $17.5-18M/yr.
              I got a notification on my phone saying jason cole was reporting it through my bleacher report app. Granted that most of you call that site a sham the app is actually pretty darn good it gives me updates from anything said about the broncos and other teams any time there is a credible person on Twitter, profootballtalk, profootballrumors, espn, yahoo, etc. Is talking about them it's posted and this one was said by Jason Cole

Comment

Is Von worth us paying $22M/yr? Depends on your POV. Without Von there would have been no SB50 championship...shoot, without Von I doubt we even beat the pats 2 weeks before that. So is the $22M a reward for past performance or an expectation of future performance? I agree with uknflfan who said, "It would make no sense for us to sign him long term right now to $22M/yr given the tag numbers". I too am feeling the sting of the DT contract and would hate to see us overpay...even for our SB MVP

:2cents: I'm really torn when I read numbers like this and not because, "is Von worth it vs other premier pass rushers?" On the one hand, $22M/yr for playing any professional sport is outrageous, especially considering the levels of poverty in the US and the world...kids are starving every day and we're making athlete's millionaires for entertaining us? On the other hand, players risk life and limb every time they suit up so should be compensated fairly for the part they play in generating the billions of dollars the NFL owners rake in every year. The money around the game really bothers me especially compared to the NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL I grew up with in the 60's/70's, but it is what it is and players should absolutely get their fair share of the pie.

Off soapbox...back to topic
                "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Yeah. I was thinking something that starts with a 2, not to be confused with the Z.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Not worth it.

Comment

I've been saying this for awhile. Some people acted like I was crazy lol, or he was just take 17 million per because it's Denver lol.

Comment

Originally posted by uknflfan View Post

If u tried that he would b gone in 18 n it wouldnt sit well with other players either. Would not b a good move imo. Not to mention is a huge part of this team n I think we should treat him as such Imho
                        My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

I wouldn't pay him. He didn't show up a lot of games the last few years. JJ Watt shows up EVERY game.

However we have to pay him otherwise the fan base will basically explode in tears, especially after the Brok incident.

Comment

He asks. for 22.
                            Elway offers 19.
                            Von comes back for 21.
                            Elway comes up to 20.
                            -
                            65 million guaranteed.. over 6 years.
                            -
                            JMHO
                            -
                            If he is franchised year after year..
                            no way will he show up...
                            He would probably even hold out of all OTA's and camp.
                            -
                            Norman in Carolina just refused his 13 million Franchise contract.
                            Not sure where that is gonna end up.
                            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Not sure if he can make that money chicken farming....

My gut says he is in JJ country, so he is reaching a bit with this kind of request. He should be less than $20M per year....maybe $19M.
                              Last edited by CanDB; 03-25-2016, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X