Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
    That has more to do with the timing of those contracts in the midst of (ridiculously) rapid inflation, IMO. A Watt contract initiated today would be equally huge.
    that may be true but at least it would be going to the most dominating player in the league.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      I agree he has earned a big payday...but $22M? That seems pretty excessive to me.
      It doesn't matter if you feel it is excessive. He is going to get paid that much or possible more. Whether it be by the Broncos or another team....he is going to get paid that much. I am all for letting players contracts expire and letting them hit the open market and getting overpaid....just I hope it isn't by us..Beedles, Julius Thomas, That one safety that can't judge a deep ball(Stupid Rahim Moore), Malik and Trevathon.

HOWEVER, Von isn't just your average player. The guy has the quickest first step of any pass rusher in the NFL....and with technique and practices getting better throughout time, and how he has shown to dominate some games, some might argue the quickest first step of all time as a Pass Rushing OLB. This is one investment we need to buy.
      New England Patriots GM

Comment

how did it work out for Miami paying Suh that $?
        We'll only know when they finish building a team around him. To quote a Phin fan's comment after our SB win - "Suh is the only guy on that roster who would start on the Broncos D."

One player can make a huge difference but he can't do everyone's job (like Champ on a few of our dismal defenses, 2008 especially coming to mind) -it's still a team sport.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

JJ Watt also doesn't have the talent around him like Von Miller has....offense and defense
          Agreed thoroughly. Doesn't change the facts that Von goes into this as a SB MVP on his resume. With huge games in both AFCCG and SB. He does have the resume to back it up. He was the biggest difference maker in us getting a Lombardi. And as has already been said by LM, the difference in amounts also have a lot to do with timing and if he is asking for 22 million it is just the starting point, it will prob be lower. The guaranteed money and how it is structured will be very important, but all in all I think he has earned a big payday.

EDIT: I would agree he doesnt have the D talent around him. Our offense was nothing to speak of last year. Our D had more to do with most wins then our O did imo
          Last edited by FL BRONCO; 03-26-2016, 03:50 PM.
          My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

that may be true but at least it would be going to the most dominating player in the league.
            IIRC Watt did get the top pay at the time. And, his next contract may be hugonic if he's still the same level of player. But the rest of the league isn't going to stand still waiting for that just so that salaries match player rankings in a nice hierarchy.

Honestly, I think the cap is now a joke and all this is getting out of hand. It's like the President needs to freeze the prices of player positions or something.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
              It doesn't matter if you feel it is excessive. He is going to get paid that much or possible more. Whether it be by the Broncos or another team....he is going to get paid that much.
              He won't get paid that much because of the franchise tag. No way Elway will give him $22M/yr when he can have him for the next 3 years for much less than that; it would make zero sense. For another team to pay him that (i.e. for him to hit FA) he will have to play under the tag for at least 2 if not 3 seasons.

And yes, I realise I am repeating myself, but I'm hoping that if I do maybe folks will finally realise that these $20M+ figures are unrealistic. For those that already have, I apologise.
              Last edited by uknflfan; 03-26-2016, 04:28 PM.
              2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

This is just opinion. Has Watt ever in his playoff career accomplished anything remotely close to what Von did this postseason? That'd be no. Von isn't that far off of Watt when it comes to career sack, and he's played less games.

Comment

• Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                  He won't get paid that much because of the franchise tag. No way Elway will give him $22M/yr when he can have him for the next 3 years for much less than that; it would make zero sense. For another team to pay him that (i.e. for him to hit FA) he will have to play under the tag for at least 2 if not 3 seasons.

And yes, I realise I am repeating myself, but I'm hoping that if I do maybe folks will finally realise that these $20M+ figures are unrealistic. For those that already have, I apologise.
                  You realize their is a humanistic aspect to contracts right? If you take a player, place the Franchise Tag on him for three straight years....yeah that will make him want to play as hard as he has on the field. Definitely a way to light a fire under his ass to play better because of all the incentives he can hit with that "Franchise Tag." I would rather trade the best Pass Rusher in the NFL right now instead of Franchising him three straight years. Maybe he plays one year under Franchise Tag.....but definitely not three. That just screams of an unsavory divorce between us.
                  New England Patriots GM

Comment

I will bet you that wont happen

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                      I will bet you that wont happen
                      Yes, you're right it won't happen because Von will realise it's way too risky and will take a long term deal with an APY under $20M

Comment

• Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
                        You realize their is a humanistic aspect to contracts right? If you take a player, place the Franchise Tag on him for three straight years....yeah that will make him want to play as hard as he has on the field. Definitely a way to light a fire under his ass to play better because of all the incentives he can hit with that "Franchise Tag." I would rather trade the best Pass Rusher in the NFL right now instead of Franchising him three straight years. Maybe he plays one year under Franchise Tag.....but definitely not three. That just screams of an unsavory divorce between us.
                        The point is that it won't actually happen, because Von won't want to take the risk. However, the threat of it will be enough leverage to have Von sign at less than the figures being bandied about in this thread.

But from the Broncos point of view, it makes no sense to sign Von at these exorbitant prices when he can be had on the franchise tag for less. If he would rather play on the tag than take the long term deal that Elway offers him, well then that's his decision, and he will take on a massive injury risk in the search of a few extra million per year.

Comment

Wait, so which is it? Because surely 'one of the best pass rushers of all time' can't be effectively replaced with Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett? Two players who, whilst promising, are still relative unknowns at this point.
                          Reminds me of last year when people were arguing that Latimer could easily replace what Thomas produces. Turns out he can't. There's a big difference between being productive as backups in a rotation (like Barrett and Ray showed this year) and being the guys who go out and produce, as well as changing how the offense prepares which opens things up for teammates as well.

Comment

The point is that it won't actually happen, because Von won't want to take the risk. However, the threat of it will be enough leverage to have Von sign at less than the figures being bandied about in this thread.

But from the Broncos point of view, it makes no sense to sign Von at these exorbitant prices when he can be had on the franchise tag for less. If he would rather play on the tag than take the long term deal that Elway offers him, well then that's his decision, and he will take on a massive injury risk in the search of a few extra million per year.
                            It makes plenty of sense to take care of your best player. It makes sense for him, and for the example the rest of the team sees, also to avoid having an Emit Smith situation and to make sure we have everybody there early next season to make a run at defending our title.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                              If Von Miller is worth $22-25 million (elite Franchise QB money), then imagine what we could get for him on the open market. It would be like Green Bay trading Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe a "tag and trade" is worth looking at.
                              The Broncos can't trade Miller until he signs his franchise tag, so if the Broncos decided to "tag and trade" him, they would need his input on where he wants to go, and they would have to allow that team and Miller to work out a contract, because barring that there's zero incentive for Miller cooperate.

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                                It makes plenty of sense to take care of your best player. It makes sense for him, and for the example the rest of the team sees, also to avoid having an Emit Smith situation and to make sure we have everybody there early next season to make a run at defending our title.
                                Because f the league drop dead date (I believe July 15th), there's very little chance that Miller would hold out, because he has zero leverage in doing so. Because by rule he's not allowed to sign a long term contract after that point, until after the season. Even if he were to want to leverage a trade, the Broncos would be trading his franchise tag contract to the new team and I believe the drop dead date of July 15th would still be in place.

Maybe he'd miss the first couple of days to show his displeasure, but holding out wouldn't change his situation in any way.

Comment

Working...
                                X