Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
    The point is that it won't actually happen, because Von won't want to take the risk. However, the threat of it will be enough leverage to have Von sign at less than the figures being bandied about in this thread.

But from the Broncos point of view, it makes no sense to sign Von at these exorbitant prices when he can be had on the franchise tag for less. If he would rather play on the tag than take the long term deal that Elway offers him, well then that's his decision, and he will take on a massive injury risk in the search of a few extra million per year.
    Explain the risk.

As I see it, the risk is on the Broncos playing cheapskate with the franchise tags and basically disrespecting him. Von could hold out from OTA's TC, and give half-hearted 50% effort on the field. This won't drive his real estate down either if other teams know its the symptom of a conflict with the Broncos. When he leaves he would definitely collect his 22M or even a 25M figure somewhere as teams know exactly what he can do. One would shell out for him -guaranteed.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Mark my words folks, there is no way that Elway will sign Von for $22M/yr. No way.

Elway has proven in the past that he is a tough negotiator and will not cave for no reason. He will offer Von a fair long term contract and if push comes to shove, he will let him play on the tag. It just makes too much financial sense, no matter how much you think Von's feelings will be hurt.
      2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
        Explain the risk.

As I see it, the risk is on the Broncos playing cheapskate with the franchise tags and basically disrespecting him. Von could hold out from OTA's TC, and give half-hearted 50% effort on the field. This won't drive his real estate down either if other teams know its the symptom of a conflict with the Broncos. When he leaves he would definitely collect his 22M or even a 25M figure somewhere as teams know exactly what he can do. One would shell out for him -guaranteed.
        Firstly, making him the 2nd highest paid defender is not 'cheapskating' him.

Secondly, if he gives less than 100% effort, let alone 50% effort, it ABSOLUTELY WILL hurt his market value. What does that say about him as an athlete and a competitor. Which leads me on to...

Thirdly, there is no way Von will give 50% effort because he is playing on the tag. Demarcus will be there to keep him on his toes, not to mention Von himself is a competitor who wants to be great. And even if his heart is set on a monster contract, the way to get there isn't by mailing it in for an entire season.

Comment

• Anyone who thinks this contract would be based solely upon the playoffs is silly. Since he was drafted second overall in 2011 he has been a special talent for the Broncos, and had it not been for a couple of young and stupid run-ins with the rules/law and the ACL tear, he'd have an even more impressive resume. Just look at his bio from this very site and you'll see he's already in the "most ever" conversation for many team stats and a couple NFL stats:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/ro...-86200f2c88dc/

A sixth-year linebacker and four-time Pro Bowl selection whose 60 career sacks through his first five seasons represent the sixth most in NFL (since 1982) history.
          • Named MVP of Super Bowl 50—the 10th defensive player to earn the honor—after posting 2.5 sacks (27 yds.), two forced fumbles, one pass defensed and six tackles (5 solo).
          Posted 261 tackles (205 solo), 60 sacks (396 yds.), one interception, 10 passes defensed, 16 forced fumbles and four fumble recoveries in his first five seasons with Denver.
          Ranks third in NFL history (since 1982) in sacks per game (0.83) among players appearing in at least 40 contests.
          Owns the second-most seasons (4) with double-digit sack totals in Broncos history.
          • Selected to his fourth Pro Bowl in 2015, joining Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little and Ring of Fame safety Steve Atwater as the only players in team history to make at least four Pro Bowls in their first five years with the team.
          • Named AFC Defensive Player of the Month for October 2014 after leading all NFL players in sacks (7) and tackles for a loss (10).
          • Voted as runner-up for the NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2012, setting a Broncos single-season record with 18.5 sacks and finishing the year also ranked in the NFL’s Top 5 in quarterback knockdowns (27), quarterback hurries (12), tackles for a loss (28), run stuffs (13) and forced fumbles (6).
          Joined current teammate DeMarcus Ware (Dal., 2008) in 2012 as the only two players since at least 1994 with 15 sacks, 25 tackles for a loss and five forced fumbles in a single season.
          • Won AFC Defensive Player of the Month honors after leading the conference with eight sacks and 10 tackles for a loss in November 2012.
          • Received All-Pro recognition from the Associated Press following each of his first two seasons, including first-team designation in 2012 and second-team honors as a rookie in 2011.
          • Named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and a Pro Bowl starter in 2011 after tying the franchise rookie sack record (11.5).
          • Finished fifth on the Broncos with 64 tackles (50 solo) as a rookie in addition to leading the club with 19 tackles for a loss and 24 quarterback hits in 15 starts.
          • Became just the second player in Broncos history (K David Treadwell, 1989) to be selected to the Pro Bowl as a rookie.
          He's been everything advertised since the Broncos drafted him. You don't just replace players like him with random, cheaper, lesser skilled guys. He changes games and others benefit from it. It's not the other way around. The Broncos D is nowhere near as good as they are without Miller. Every other team in the league would love a chance to have him on their defense. Especially now that he has shown some maturity and an evolving leadership role.

He's worth the money.

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
            It makes plenty of sense to take care of your best player. It makes sense for him, and for the example the rest of the team sees, also to avoid having an Emit Smith situation and to make sure we have everybody there early next season to make a run at defending our title.
            Agreed, great points. Just hope we get what we're paying for in advance. Dumervil, Clady and Thomas come to mind...
            [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
              Agreed, great points. Just hope we get what we're paying for in advance. Dumervil, Clady and Thomas come to mind...
              I know where you are going. If you go all in on a player, you are basically committing to them playing at an elite level for a long period of time. That's a risk no matter who. But I do see QBs being the highest paid players, when you narrow it down to the top half dozen or so. That is one skill position you want to secure for as long as you can. Guys like JJ and Von are rare finds. They deserve piles of money. Part of the problem is around health, in that rugged defenders are more likely to suffer injury. And for me, great QBs can change games a little moreso than great defenders in general. For example, there are a few QBs I want on my team with little time on the clock, in a close game. I lean their way over top defenders, but sure, based on Von's last minute heroics in the SB, it is hard to argue against.

Comment

No, by putting those clips up I honored the truth that actions speak louder than words with the latter being the defining attribute of hype.

It's not just "a few games" -these are the most important games! Let's get back to the primary objective in the NFL -to get to and win the Superbowl. All of a team's resources are allocated to that one goal. These are the games where you want your players to step up, for your best players to prove why they are still your best. And the resources -the money- spent toward achieving that goal are justified by positive results from players -like Von.

Also, it's not like these games stand apart in some void; look at his whole career here thus far - he proved that he is elite and a difference maker right out of the gate and did much to instantly elevate the defense and get it out of McDoof's gutter. And he's racked up honors for his contribution here:

4× Pro Bowl (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)
                2× First-team All-Pro (2012, 2015)
                2× Second-team All-Pro (2011, 2014)
                AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (2011)
                Butkus Award (2012)

All of which is good but not 20+ mill good. If he takes over every other game like he did in the superbowl then of course. Until then no.

Comment

Firstly, making him the 2nd highest paid defender is not 'cheapskating' him.

Secondly, if he gives less than 100% effort, let alone 50% effort, it ABSOLUTELY WILL hurt his market value. What does that say about him as an athlete and a competitor. Which leads me on to...

Thirdly, there is no way Von will give 50% effort because he is playing on the tag. Demarcus will be there to keep him on his toes, not to mention Von himself is a competitor who wants to be great. And even if his heart is set on a monster contract, the way to get there isn't by mailing it in for an entire season.

Firstly , no it won't hurt him. He has proven to be a special player and he will get paid eventually by somebody. He could sit this year out and there would be plenty of suitors for his services still. You can certainly develope players in house, but some talent you are just born with and can't be replicated by developement. Von is one of those talented players.

Second, why in the world would you think another player and his friend would not side with Von on this. I believe he would. The players more than understand the franchise situation from a personnal level. He has proven to be one of the best and instead of being rewarded with long term security he has earned, he gets tagged, and you think Ware won't side with him. The same Ware that left Dallas not wanting to take a pay cut. I hope we don't have to find out.
                  Last edited by FL BRONCO; 03-26-2016, 05:42 PM.
                  My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
                    I get what your saying, but I don't see whay Dum would be on that list. He played very well for us when he was here.

But I certainly agree with you on the others. But can't judge him based on others.
                    My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                      Firstly , no it won't hurt him. He has proven to be a special player and he will get paid eventually by somebody. He could sit this year out and there would be plenty of suitors for his services still. You can certainly develope players in house, but some talent you are just born with and can't be replicated by developement. Von is one of those talented players.

Second, why in the world would you think another player and his friend would not side with Von on this. I believe he would. The players more than understand the franchise situation from a personnal level. He has proven to be one of the best and instead of being awarded with long term security he earned he gets tagged and you think Ware won't side with him. The same Ware that left Dallas not wanting to take a pay cut. I hope we don't have to find out.
                      If you think a player giving 50% effort doesn't hurt his value, then you are living in cloud cuckoo land. If Von does that then his production would drop massively, which would hurt his value. Also, if he sits this year out, then he will not have accrued a year towards FA, so it won't really help his position. Not to mention he is giving up over $14M, so it's not realistic.

Von is being rewarded with long term security, just not at the insane numbers people in this thread are talking about, because those numbers don't make any sense. Will Von really turn down $50M guaranteed to risk playing on the tag? I don't think so.

Comment

We'll only know when they finish building a team around him. To quote a Phin fan's comment after our SB win - "Suh is the only guy on that roster who would start on the Broncos D."

One player can make a huge difference but he can't do everyone's job (like Champ on a few of our dismal defenses, 2008 especially coming to mind) -it's still a team sport.
                        sweet to hear stuff like that. It wasn't long ago we were saying the same things about our defense.
                        sigpic

Comment

IIRC Watt did get the top pay at the time. And, his next contract may be hugonic if he's still the same level of player. But the rest of the league isn't going to stand still waiting for that just so that salaries match player rankings in a nice hierarchy.

Honestly, I think the cap is now a joke and all this is getting out of hand. It's like the President needs to freeze the prices of player positions or something.
                          agreed. I can't believe how much it has gone up so fast...$34 to $150M......that's a lot of $$$$$$
                          sigpic

Comment

Mark my words folks, there is no way that Elway will sign Von for $22M/yr. No way.

Elway has proven in the past that he is a tough negotiator and will not cave for no reason. He will offer Von a fair long term contract and if push comes to shove, he will let him play on the tag. It just makes too much financial sense, no matter how much you think Von's feelings will be hurt.
                            Elway paid DT what he wanted, he paid Clady what he wanted.

Comment

• Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                              I know where you are going. If you go all in on a player, you are basically committing to them playing at an elite level for a long period of time. That's a risk no matter who. But I do see QBs being the highest paid players, when you narrow it down to the top half dozen or so. That is one skill position you want to secure for as long as you can. Guys like JJ and Von are rare finds. They deserve piles of money. Part of the problem is around health, in that rugged defenders are more likely to suffer injury. And for me, great QBs can change games a little moreso than great defenders in general. For example, there are a few QBs I want on my team with little time on the clock, in a close game. I lean their way over top defenders, but sure, based on Von's last minute heroics in the SB, it is hard to argue against.
                              Can you imagine Rodgers next contract? Believe me when I say it'll take it to the next level unless he feels like being nice to Green Bay. So, if you think about it Von wouldn't be getting elite QB money, he'd be getting top linebacker money. Rodgers will be getting elite QB money. The cap keeps going up, the bar keeps getting raised when it comes to market value. It's just the way it is.

Comment

• Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X