Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by IAbronco24 View Post
    Smart thing to do would be tag him for 2 years and let another team give him a big deal. At that point we pretty much had him during his entire prime and wouldn't be cap strapped with an
    Aging player. Yes this would piss him off and probably won't happen but financially it's probably the smartest thing for the Broncos
    Yeah I'm in agreement here unless he can be a bit more reasonable

Comment

• Report: Von Miller to seek $22 million per year

Written by Jesse Reed

Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller is going to be a very rich young man whenever he signs his long-term contract. We all know this. Yet a new report suggests Miller will be raking in top quarterback money, if he gets his way.

The sum Miller is seeking is $22 million per year, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report.

That’s Aaron Rodgers money. That’s Joe Flacco money. That’s Russell Wilson money.

It seems crazy to pay a single defender as much as the top quarterbacks in the NFL, yet nobody should be shocked if the pass rusher gets what he wants in the end.

Just look at what Olivier Vernon hauled in this year with the New York Giants. A guy who has racked up 29 sacks the past four years, he got $17 million per year after the Miami Dolphins removed the franchise tag.

Miller has sacked the quarterback 49 times in the same period of time. Not only that, but he’s consistently pressuring opposing quarterbacks into making mistakes. He also was unblockable in the playoffs and during Super Bowl 50.

Undeniably the premier pass rusher in the NFL, he should be worth at least $5 million more per year than Vernon.

That’s a point his camp is going to make to the Broncos, per Cole. And it’s a valid one, at that.

Cole notes that Miller could likely earn even more if he were to hit the open market. That’s not something John Elway and the Broncos will likely let happen, because as good as Miller has been thus far he’s actually still ascending as a star in this league.

Set to earn just over $14 million on the franchise tag, Miller could legitimately threaten a hold out if he doesn’t get what he wants from Denver. This is going to be an interesting situation to follow as the spring rolls into summer and the pressure to get a deal done continues to build.

http://sportsnaut.com/2016/03/report...llion-broncos/

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• REPORT: Von Miller could look to be the highest-paid player in NFL history

By MHS Staff -
        March 25, 2016

Von Miller is about to get paid a lot of money. In fact, according to Jason Cole of Bleacher Report, he could end up receiving a contract that pays him more than any other player in NFL history, at least if he gets his way.

Cole reported earlier on Friday that a source close to Miller has said that the Super Bowl MVP will be looking to make $22 million a season, a number only matched by Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers. The next closest defender, Ndamukong Suh, sits at $19.1 million a year.

While that seems like an exorbitant amount of money, Miller and his representatives believe it’s justified. They believe, and rightfully so, that if Miller were to reach the open market, he would find a deal worth $22 million a year, if not more. In their mind, if Olivier Vernon can get $17 million a year, then Miller should easily be able to get $22 million.

And according to Cole, general managers around the league agree.

“They (general managers) say that what Miller is asking for is not that out of hand, if and when he does that,” Cole said about Miller hitting the open market. “They say that if he was on the open market, he would probably blow past what the quarterback market looks like, getting $24 or $25 million a year.”

Right now, Miller is scheduled to make $14 million on the franchise tag, and that makes these negotiations very interesting.

The Broncos want to get Miller locked into a long-term deal before his price rises any further, yet the idea of getting him for another season on what could be an $8-10 million discount is appealing, too. For Miller, the idea of reaching the open market might sound enticing, but playing a full season without a long-term deal could put him at risk of a serious injury.

It’ll be interesting to see how Elway and Miller work this out. It could go a long way towards determining the future of the Denver Broncos.

http://milehighsports.com/report-von...n-nfl-history/

Comment

• If I were John, I would simply tell him and his agent, to call me back when they come back down to earth. Von is great, and I think we need to resign him. However, I would not even entertain a 22 million average. We own his rights at 14 million I believe. We could franchise him again at 18, so why in the world would we give him 22?

These guys like to threaten to hold out, but what would being out of football a year do to his worth? John is smart and a great negotiator, I am confident they will find a deal fair to Von and the Broncos.
          Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by broncsfan219 View Post
            22 million dollars a year when contract talks open up! Wowza...
            Sounds to me like drafting Ray last year and the play of then UDFA kid might allow him to be traded.

Comment

• Again, these articles quoting Von wanting $22M and GM's saying he is worth $24-25M on the open market are not relevant to discussion. In fact, they are derailing discussion into 'is Von worth $22M?' when that isn't a relevant number. Miller's camp is trying their best to get this information out there, but it doesn't mean he will make this kind of money.

Look at the franchise tag values, they will tell you that $22M is unrealistic.

You can speculate all you want about what Miller would get on the open market, it doesn't mean he will make anywhere near that in his current situation.
              2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

• Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                Again, these articles quoting Von wanting $22M and GM's saying he is worth $24-25M on the open market are not relevant to discussion. In fact, they are derailing discussion into 'is Von worth $22M?' when that isn't a relevant number. Miller's camp is trying their best to get this information out there, but it doesn't mean he will make this kind of money.

Look at the franchise tag values, they will tell you that $22M is unrealistic.

You can speculate all you want about what Miller would get on the open market, it doesn't mean he will make anywhere near that in his current situation.
                How are they not relevant to the discussion.....its the title of the freaking thread.
                New England Patriots GM

Comment

• Not relevant to the discussion of what Von will get on a long term deal. To be quite honest, this whole thread is a red herring in my opinion.

My point is that Von wanting $22M is fairly meaningless.
                  2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

• Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                    Not relevant to the discussion of what Von will get on a long term deal. To be quite honest, this whole thread is a red herring in my opinion.

My point is that Von wanting $22M is fairly meaningless.
                    So your point takes precedent over the thread and the what you view as relevant supersedes what the title and main discussion of the thread is....got it.
                    New England Patriots GM

Comment

• I love Von, but I also know Elway isn't going to cave on that kind of number, at least not immediately. I think he's got too much character to hold out like Chancellor did, but it wouldn't surprise me. I definitely don't expect him to show up until TC now, however.
                      sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                        I get what your saying, but I don't see whay Dum would be on that list. He played very well for us when he was here.

But I certainly agree with you on the others. But can't judge him based on others.
                        Doom sat out the first year of his new deal with a pectoral injury then seemed less than enthusiastic about being a Bronco in spite of our paying him well. Mostly, he played well though.

It was almost unfair to have both Elvis and Von at the same time...What could have been.
                        [sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                          Does anyone think Ray or Barret could have made the same quality of plays that Von did in the AFCCG and SB? Because that's what really matters in the final analysis.

We're going back to the playoffs -who do you want leading the charge?

Von seems to disappear when he's double or triple teamed and held a lot and guys like Ware or Wolfe get there first.
                          Would Ray be effective if he was double-teamed and illegally held that much too?

Salaries are going up and thus the cap is going up by $10-12 mil a year. If the cap limit was fixed then contracts this big might be a problem but that isn't the case. And he likely won't get what he's asking for anyway though I think it may be a million or two less. I look at it this way -we just paid out $20m for a guy who did far less to nab the trophy than Miller. Now were just giving that money to the chief difference-maker instead and going for cheaper QB options on that end.
                          Good points. I just hope he and his agent is reasonable and makes it a cap friendly deal for Denver so we can continue to add talent around him. I definitely dont wanna lose him, but I just hate paying one guy that much money.

Comment

• This whole discussion reminds me of this:
                            https://youtu.be/1xpzyk8Uo3E

Comment

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
                              at $22M...that is $5M more than the current highest paid OLB....33% more than that player gets. Is he worth that? no. Did he have a dominant season? no. Did he have a dominant playoff run? yes...against weak OT. Mark my words...Von will have a pretty average season this year and his price will fall.
                              I tend to agree except for the average season part. If you look at stats only sure, but he rarely has an average impact. He shouldn't get a 5 million raise on Houston's contract though, that's silly. The stupid Dolphins screwed everyone with that ridiculous Suh contract, then the Giants did the same with Vernon. The timing is an issue as well with teams being forced to spend more this year.
                              Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

• Originally posted by RobertR View Post
                                This whole discussion reminds me of this:
                                https://youtu.be/1xpzyk8Uo3E
                                Perfect clip for Easter too!

Comment

Working...
                                X