No announcement yet.

Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• we cannot afford that right now. even with clady cut we cant hit 22 mil. even if we cut clady and colquitt we are still a million shy. Hopefully that means von goes down a bit. He has too. If he plays on the tag we will lose him.
    sigpic
    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

• Originally posted by dipablo View Post
      we cannot afford that right now. even with clady cut we cant hit 22 mil. even if we cut clady and colquitt we are still a million shy. Hopefully that means von goes down a bit. He has too. If he plays on the tag we will lose him.
      Sure we can...we got over $80M next year (and that's not taking into account that the cap will again increase next season)

The misconception in your post is that we have to pay him the $22M this year, we don't. We can split that cap hit up along the contract however we feel and make the cap hit minimal this year and make up for it in subsequent years
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
        Sure we can...we got over $80M next year (and that's not taking into account that the cap will again increase next season)

The misconception in your post is that we have to pay him the $22M this year, we don't. We can split that cap hit up along the contract however we feel and make the cap hit minimal this year and make up for it in subsequent years
        Yea ok, i see what you are saying, that makes me feel better
        sigpic
        BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

• Originally posted by dipablo View Post
          Yea ok, i see what you are saying, that makes me feel better
          John knows what he's doing Too often we try and look at current cap available for right now and assume that's all we have to spend. We can give a guy a $22M per year and take a minimal cap hit in year one and increase other years to spread out the damage later on.

I don't know that we'll take this route, but John will figure it out, he always does.
          sigpic

Comment

• You have to pay him if you want to put butts in seats. Pay Von, and draft the rest. Von single handedly won the SB. Big picture, he has made WAY more money for the organization than he will ever make. His name alone brings other players to play with him and builds credibility to our team. Without Von on the team, the Broncos do not look like a great place to go if you were a FA looking for a ring.

Elway knows this as it was the same thing Manning did for the team.
            Elway will have it all taken care of shortly after the draft. I'm more worried about Miller getting hurt on Dancing with the Stars.

Price tags always go up, we should consider $22 mil per year a discount compared to what he might ask for in next years FA market.

Comment

• Originally posted by donnyrides View Post
              You have to pay him if you want to put butts in seats. Pay Von, and draft the rest. Von single handedly won the SB. Big picture, he has made WAY more money for the organization than he will ever make. His name alone brings other players to play with him and builds credibility to our team. Without Von on the team, the Broncos do not look like a great place to go if you were a FA looking for a ring.

Elway knows this as it was the same thing Manning did for the team.
              Elway will have it all taken care of shortly after the draft. I'm more worried about Miller getting hurt on Dancing with the Stars.

Price tags always go up, we should consider $22 mil per year a discount compared to what he might ask for in next years FA market.
              Oh good grief. VM did not win anything single handedly. Tom Jackson put it best about Denver, "when you walk into the building you can smell winning." As long as Elway is running the show, FAs will come to play here because they know the commitment he has to winning.

Say we pay him 22M. Not going to fit that into this years cap, so we are essentially looking at a lower number this year and 25M or more in the following years. That is over 15% of next years projected cap. Why even do that when tagging him for two years cost about 16M per year? What does 25M in cap space mean? Well you could fit Gronk, CHJ, and Joe Thomas' contracts in that 25M.

Depth >>>than any single player...this is not the NBA.
              Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                Oh good grief. VM did not win anything single handedly. Tom Jackson put it best about Denver, "when you walk into the building you can smell winning." As long as Elway is running the show, FAs will come to play here because they know the commitment he has to winning.

Say we pay him 22M. Not going to fit that into this years cap, so we are essentially looking at a lower number this year and 25M or more in the following years. That is over 15% of next years projected cap. Why even do that when tagging him for two years cost about 16M per year? What does 25M in cap space mean? Well you could fit Gronk, CHJ, and Joe Thomas' contracts in that 25M.

I agree that he didn't win it singlehandedly. Trevathan needed to recover a couple of fumbles and bunch of other plays from our guys had to happen- it's a team sport. But there are critical plays which make or break momentum and stand above the rest and Miller made those and has since he got here. Before the SB, I posted gifs from our game @CAR in 2012 of Von doing the same things. He's an established game-changer with a proven history of that.

And I disagree with "Depth >>>than any single player" . This is not a sport where quantity trumps quality, where having three Ortons beats one Aaron Rodgers.

Von is that caliber of player, absolutely elite, and a rare, once-in-a-generation type of player. Elway said that right after he drafted him. Such guys deserve big contracts and will get them, and it wont cripple the team or mortgage the future either, any more than Manning's contract did. The Cap is increasing quite a lot annually now and we have plenty of room. Fan fears about this are unfounded, as usual. And despite Manning's fat contract and DT's we still managed to cultivate depth and will continue to thanks largely to the draft and good choices there.

The reasons they won't franchise tag someone like this continually is because the organization isn't run by a heartless Ebeneezer Scrooge. Elway cares about Von, he invested in Von, the investment paid off and his star is still on the rise, and he's worth keeping until he retires. And of course it's worth making him happy so he wants to give 110% for us on every play and to eliminate any possibility of a holdout for any reason.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

• Do I want to see VM over Ray at OLB? Absolutely. Do I feel that is a 22M upgrade? Absolutely not. Football does not have a WAR like baseball, but I think it is better to spread the wealth.

I am not talking Orton vs Rodgers. I am talking CHJ over Webster, TJ Ward over Moore, Wolfe over Antonio Smith,...That 25M is not something that is just going to be laying around if we don't give it to VM. Is our defense better having VM if we replaced those other three with the guys mentioned? I don't think so. Obviously VM won't cost us those three, but will cost us 3 very good players down the line. Is that 2017? 2018? Probably.
                  Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

• Originally posted by MHSalute View Post

If the contracts were re-written in today's NFL you couldnt.

Why is your dream to 'chip kelly' the Broncos lol

Comment

• You can't put a price on what Von is to this D. Imagine the Ravens letting Ray Lewis walk because he wouldn't come down on a number. Would never happen. Elway being a former player has the extra edge over most GMs because he has seen first hand what it means to have a guy like miller on your team. A guy that can afford a young QB a few mistakes because he will go get a 3 and out for you.

somebody above me in the post said players will come play for Elway, I don't think that's true if Miller walks. Other players will see a GM who is not willing to pay continued success. This is more than just Money for Von, this is about showing future Broncos that if you work hard and show up big in practice and gameday, you will be rewarded.
                      By letting Brock and Malik walk he's said that continuous success gets Pat's money, not one season.

This is why Elway is the best in the biz and why Miller will get his money.

side note: if miller gets double tagged, expect him to miss half the 2017 season with turf toe or some other phantom injury.

Comment

• Originally posted by donnyrides View Post
                        You can't put a price on what Von is to this D. Imagine the Ravens letting Ray Lewis walk because he wouldn't come down on a number. Would never happen. Elway being a former player has the extra edge over most GMs because he has seen first hand what it means to have a guy like miller on your team. A guy that can afford a young QB a few mistakes because he will go get a 3 and out for you.

somebody above me in the post said players will come play for Elway, I don't think that's true if Miller walks. Other players will see a GM who is not willing to pay continued success. This is more than just Money for Von, this is about showing future Broncos that if you work hard and show up big in practice and gameday, you will be rewarded.
                        By letting Brock and Malik walk he's said that continuous success gets Pat's money, not one season.

This is why Elway is the best in the biz and why Miller will get his money.

side note: if miller gets double tagged, expect him to miss half the 2017 season with turf toe or some other phantom injury.
                        Totally agree with this. CP to you. Tagging Miller and making him play on that is terrible for locker room morale. You're teaching players that the only way to get the big contract is to hit free agency because Elway's a cheapskate. That's a good way to get players to play hard in their contract year (or the first part of it) and slack off the rest of the time, focusing on avoiding injury until they're free agents. Remember how Julius Thomas disappeared down the stretch when we desperately needed him to show up a season ago? Just so he could hit the jackpot with Jacksonville. That was one big reason Manning's stats dropped off a cliff (injury being another).

As for whether Von is "worth it," our concept of that is colored by what average linebackers make. Von is no average linebacker. Von was drafted #2 overall. Who usually goes #1 or #2 overall in the draft? Franchise quarterbacks.

In Von's year, the quarterback in question who went #1 overall was a guy by the name of Cam Newton. You may have heard of him. Newton won MVP honors last season, and then got matched up against Von in the Super Bowl, where Von emerged as the MVP of that death match. Oh, and how much does Cam Newton make?

Cam Newton's contract averages $20.75 million

The relevant comparable isn't Olivier Vernon, it's Cam Newton. By asking for $22 million, Von Miller is telling Elway that he wants to make slightly more than Cam Newton makes, adjusted for one year's salary cap inflation.

So would you rather have Cam, or Von?

Comment

Working...
                        X