Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I'll take your bet. Make any requirements for that you deem fair and I'll agree to it. I trust you

I'm not trying to say Von is not talented...just his playoff hype is a little over rated and doesn't make him the best player in the league.
    If we're talking overhyped, the conversation should begin and end at Khalil Mack. Everyone is going nuts declaring him the 2nd or 3rd best defensive player in the league when really he's a guy who had an impressive 4 game stretch (10 of his career 19 sacks in that stretch).

Comment

I think his best play was the INT when he was in coverage on a WR. The RT he beat for Carolina is..#74, Mike Remmers....and #71 Cameron Fleming for NE...two of the lesser RT in the league. Fleming was signed off the PS after Solder went out injured.

A lot of Von's success in the SB was due to Remmers being not very good as opposed to Miller being so great. Von still had a great game but he wouldn't have had nearly the same game if he had been going against a decent RT, such as Doug Free.....which is my reasoning for saying it is a lot of hype in his claims to such a big payday.

If the broncos wouldn't have made the SB....would you say he earned that much of a payday based on the regular season production?

But we did make and win a SB and Von was a huuuuuuge reason why. He played his best in the biggest games under the most pressure. That is what you want in a player. People can call it hype, but to me he did everything you could ask for from your player and helped us win a Lombardi. I myself think he has more than earned a big pay day from us and if this is a predictor of the player we are getting for our future, I'm in. I want to hit the playoffs with guys like Von leading the way. If SB is truly the ultimate goal then imo a guy like Von is who I want here.
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• As if Miller hasn't really achieved at all in the NFL besides those two games illustrated lol. Smh.

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
          [/B]

But we did make and win a SB and Von was a huuuuuuge reason why. He played his best in the biggest games under the most pressure. That is what you want in a player. People can call it hype, but to me he did everything you could ask for from your player and helped us win a Lombardi. I myself think he has more than earned a big pay day from us and if this is a predictor of the player we are getting for our future, I'm in. I want to hit the playoffs with guys like Von leading the way. If SB is truly the ultimate goal then imo a guy like Von is who I want here.
          I agree he has earned a big payday...but $22M? That seems pretty excessive to me.
          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
            As if Miller hasn't really achieved at all in the NFL besides those two games illustrated lol. Smh.
            has he achieved so much to be the highest paid player?
            sigpic

Comment

• If Mike Remmers is so terrible, then why was Von the only guy all year to do that to him?

Now, I'm not saying Remmers is good, just saying that nobody dominated him the way Von did. Dominance like that is incredibly rare at the NFL level.

And yes, Von was dominant throughout the season. He was 3rd in total pressures during the regular season (runaway #1 if you include the postseason). That's elite production.
              2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                If we're talking overhyped, the conversation should begin and end at Khalil Mack. Everyone is going nuts declaring him the 2nd or 3rd best defensive player in the league when really he's a guy who had an impressive 4 game stretch (10 of his career 19 sacks in that stretch).
                exactly my point. Mack had a great game against us. Was it because he is great or was it because he went against Schofield who had a dreadful night? The truth is, it's probably a little of both but much of it was because of Schofield's poor execution that night.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                  If Mike Remmers is so terrible, then why was Von the only guy all year to do that to him?

Now, I'm not saying Remmers is good, just saying that nobody dominated him the way Von did. Dominance like that is incredibly rare at the NFL level.

And yes, Von was dominant throughout the season. He was 3rd in total pressures during the regular season (runaway #1 if you include the postseason). That's elite production.
                  do you have a link to the total pressures? I couldn't find one without paying for PFF.

Remmers allowed 5.5 sacks for the regular season
                  Last edited by broncos SB2010; 03-26-2016, 02:26 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I agree he has earned a big payday...but $22M? That seems pretty excessive to me.
                    You seem really concerned with this $22M number. Without wanting to repeat myself, I don't think he will reach this. Read some of my previous threads in this post for more detail but, essentially, he will have to risk at least 2 if not 3 seasons playing on the tag to reach his true value. If he wants financial security, he will have to accept a lesser deal.

Comment

Well, he has been right up there in sacks since he came into the league and based on those playoff performances, and also considering what Vernon got I'd say probably. Who's the highest paid defender currently? Suh right? Who's more of a impact player right now? I'd say Miller. I'd like to see him sign for less, but after watching free agency year in and year out (especially this free agency) I find it highly unlikely he signs for much less.

Comment

do you have a link to the total pressures? I couldn't find one without paying for PFF.
                        It's from PFF, so you'll have to trust me on the numbers. Watt was #1 and Bennett was #2. Miller racked up another 23 pressures in the postseason.

Comment

• Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                          It's from PFF, so you'll have to trust me on the numbers. Watt was #1 and Bennett was #2. Miller racked up another 23 pressures in the postseason.
                          oh, I trust you. I just wanted to look. How did malik jackson rank on that list?
                          sigpic

Comment

• I love Von Miller, I really do, but he is not worth that kind of money. There is no one player in the NFL worth that kind of money. I'm sorry, flame away, say "pay the man" all you want but what you don't understand is that is tying up a ton of money for one player. It will hamstring our team for years.

Ask yourselves this question. As good as Von was in the 3 play-off games, is he always that good? I can see making him the highest paid defensive player of all-time if he played like that every game, if he completely took over every game the way he did during our play-off run. Fact is, he is a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL without a doubt, but he often disappears for long stretches. I'm sorry but as good as Von is he simply is not worth that money. I wouldnt give JJ Watt that money, Lawrence Taylor, whoever. It just hamstrings your team too much. You take Von's 12 sacks per year away and what do we have? Does anyone think Shane ray or Shaq Barrett cant get close to 10 sacks if they played all the time? I really dont think the drop off would be that significant.

Dont take this the wrong way, he is one of the best pass rushers of all-time and a true elite defensive player, but if he is asking for 22 million per year from the team that gave him his opportunity and has been so good to him then he is just being greedy imo. Who needs that kind of money? He, his kids, his grandkids will never spend that kind of money. If he was a true professional he would settle for a 15 million per year deal to stay in Denver.

Pay the man whatever he wants = mediocre roster for years to come.

Comment

We just won a SB with one of the worse offenses in the league. We won by 14 pts. Von accounted for atleast those 14 pts. He was SB mvp and has been huge for us. IMO yes. He has the results to back it up. How many playoff games has Suh made a difference in?
                              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• If Von Miller is worth $22-25 million (elite Franchise QB money), then imagine what we could get for him on the open market. It would be like Green Bay trading Aaron Rodgers.

Maybe a "tag and trade" is worth looking at.

Comment

Working...
                                X