Von Seeking $22M Per Year Under New Contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
    I think his best play was the INT when he was in coverage on a WR. The RT he beat for Carolina is..#74, Mike Remmers....and #71 Cameron Fleming for NE...two of the lesser RT in the league. Fleming was signed off the PS after Solder went out injured.

A lot of Von's success in the SB was due to Remmers being not very good as opposed to Miller being so great. Von still had a great game but he wouldn't have had nearly the same game if he had been going against a decent RT, such as Doug Free.....which is my reasoning for saying it is a lot of hype in his claims to such a big payday.

If the broncos wouldn't have made the SB....would you say he earned that much of a payday based on the regular season production?
    Yeah he excels in coverage too:

-which just adds to the case for why he is so valuable!

And I'll answer your question with another -- do you think he would ask for that much without the SB under his belt?

I would still give him a hefty contract, and I'm sure he would ask for less in such a scenario. As I pointed out before, the perceived regular season production doesn't tell the real story on the field. If he takes away 2-3 of their linemen, it allows everyone else to make the play. In some cases he would have gotten the sack but a teammate beat him to it because he was being double teamed or just flagrantly held without penalty -a lot!

This wasn't Von's first season here you know, and his performance in the playoffs wasn't flukish due to poor opposition as you're trying to suggest. We've seen him make big plays against linemen of varying quality over the years because he's a freak, a force a nature! He can get a strip sack on anyone.

But he earned the big payday and it doesn't matter who lined up against him. You seem to think he only earns it if he dominates the best tackle in the league in the SB. I can't imagine Elway saying that to him- that would be comical! "Wellll because you lined up against Remmers (who even my granny could beat) you're worth $5M less!"

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

oh, I trust you. I just wanted to look. How did malik jackson rank on that list?
      Regular Season Only:

Rank) Player - Pressures

1) JJ Watt - 90
      2) Michael Bennett - 84
      3) Von Miller - 82
      4) Khalil Mack - 82
      5) Olivier Vernon - 81
      6) Muhammad Wilkerson - 78
      7) Fletcher Cox - 77
      8) Carlos Dunlap - 75
      9) Tamba Hali - 72
      10) Everson Griffen - 71
      11) Cliff Avril - 70
      12) Cameron Jordan - 70
      13) Ezekiel Ansah - 65
      14) Elvis Dumervil - 64
      15) Pernell McPhee - 63
      16) Aaron Lynch - 62
      17) Chandler Jones - 62
      18) Malik Jackson -60
      2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

• Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
        By putting clips of the two playoff games you are pretty much reinforcing the point of it being playoff hype. You can't pay a guy based on a few games. That's how you overpay. If he shows up like that 16 games throughout the regular season as well then ok. But until the. 20+ mill is an absurd number for a non QB. Paying a guy based on a playoff run is how the ravens ended up with flacco contract and the miners with kap.
        No, by putting those clips up I honored the truth that actions speak louder than words with the latter being the defining attribute of hype.

It's not just "a few games" -these are the most important games! Let's get back to the primary objective in the NFL -to get to and win the Superbowl. All of a team's resources are allocated to that one goal. These are the games where you want your players to step up, for your best players to prove why they are still your best. And the resources -the money- spent toward achieving that goal are justified by positive results from players -like Von.

Also, it's not like these games stand apart in some void; look at his whole career here thus far - he proved that he is elite and a difference maker right out of the gate and did much to instantly elevate the defense and get it out of McDoof's gutter. And he's racked up honors for his contribution here:

4× Pro Bowl (2011, 2012, 2014, 2015)
        2× First-team All-Pro (2012, 2015)
        2× Second-team All-Pro (2011, 2014)
        AP NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year (2011)
        Butkus Award (2012)
        Last edited by L.M.; 03-26-2016, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• Remember people, it's not just linebackers, defensive lineman, and WR's salaries going up. People keep talking about elite QB money, but elite QB money is going up as well. Look what Brock just got, what do you think Rodgers is gonna get on his next deal? 30 or 35 per? Drew Brees isn't getting elite QB money based on the market now. So Von getting 22 now is like getting 15 a couple years ago. It's called inflation, and like I stated earlier NFL salaries are headed for MLB territory. That's why the cap keeps going up. So teams can pay guys like Von to stay. Well, not really, but theoretically lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post

Does anyone think Shane ray or Shaq Barrett cant get close to 10 sacks if they played all the time? I really dont think the drop off would be that significant.

Dont take this the wrong way, he is one of the best pass rushers of all-time and a true elite defensive player
            Wait, so which is it? Because surely 'one of the best pass rushers of all time' can't be effectively replaced with Shane Ray and Shaquil Barrett? Two players who, whilst promising, are still relative unknowns at this point.
            2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

has he achieved so much to be the highest paid player?
              IMO, yes. SB MVP amongst other honors. What more is there to achieve to prove his worth? I want him in Denver for the rest of his career leading our defense to more Superbowls, and beating the crap out of Brady on the way!

Comment

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                IMO, yes. SB MVP amongst other honors. What more is there to achieve to prove his worth? I want him in Denver for the rest of his career leading our defense to more Superbowls, and beating the crap out of Brady on the way!
                Amen .........Fitting too Elways first draft pick. Want to see him in the Ring of Fame
                My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
                  We just won a SB with one of the worse offenses in the league. We won by 14 pts. Von accounted for atleast those 14 pts. He was SB mvp and has been huge for us. IMO yes. He has the results to back it up. How many playoff games has Suh made a difference in?
                  how did it work out for Miami paying Suh that $?
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                    I want him here too but more often than not, those huge contracts end up hurting teams more than the player helps. Von Miller isn't even the best player...JJ Watt is...and to make almost double what Watt gets is too high, imo.
                    sigpic

Comment

how did it work out for Miami paying Suh that $?
                      But that goes back to my earlier post. How many playoff games has Suh made a difference in? Von on the other hand has made a difference at the highest level. That last turnover which got us 7 pts and sealed the SB for us was a second away from being a huge play for them. Their reciever was wide open deep. The difference between our huge play and theirs was Von. He has proven his worth. Many may not like the market price, but it is what it is. If anyone is worth it, I would think Von's resume would be one that stands out.

Comment

I want him here too but more often than not, those huge contracts end up hurting teams more than the player helps. Von Miller isn't even the best player...JJ Watt is...and to make almost double what Watt gets is too high, imo.
                        You can go back and forth with that arguement. But JJ has definitely not led his team to a Lombardi. Von has.

Comment

• Originally posted by KWHIT97 View Post
                          I love Von Miller, I really do, but he is not worth that kind of money. There is no one player in the NFL worth that kind of money. I'm sorry, flame away, say "pay the man" all you want but what you don't understand is that is tying up a ton of money for one player. It will hamstring our team for years.

Ask yourselves this question. As good as Von was in the 3 play-off games, is he always that good? I can see making him the highest paid defensive player of all-time if he played like that every game, if he completely took over every game the way he did during our play-off run. Fact is, he is a top 3 pass rusher in the NFL without a doubt, but he often disappears for long stretches. I'm sorry but as good as Von is he simply is not worth that money. I wouldnt give JJ Watt that money, Lawrence Taylor, whoever. It just hamstrings your team too much. You take Von's 12 sacks per year away and what do we have? Does anyone think Shane ray or Shaq Barrett cant get close to 10 sacks if they played all the time? I really dont think the drop off would be that significant.

Dont take this the wrong way, he is one of the best pass rushers of all-time and a true elite defensive player, but if he is asking for 22 million per year from the team that gave him his opportunity and has been so good to him then he is just being greedy imo. Who needs that kind of money? He, his kids, his grandkids will never spend that kind of money. If he was a true professional he would settle for a 15 million per year deal to stay in Denver.

Pay the man whatever he wants = mediocre roster for years to come.
                          Does anyone think Ray or Barret could have made the same quality of plays that Von did in the AFCCG and SB? Because that's what really matters in the final analysis.

We're going back to the playoffs -who do you want leading the charge?

Von seems to disappear when he's double or triple teamed and held a lot and guys like Ware or Wolfe get there first.
                          Would Ray be effective if he was double-teamed and illegally held that much too?

Salaries are going up and thus the cap is going up by $10-12 mil a year. If the cap limit was fixed then contracts this big might be a problem but that isn't the case. And he likely won't get what he's asking for anyway though I think it may be a million or two less. I look at it this way -we just paid out $20m for a guy who did far less to nab the trophy than Miller. Now were just giving that money to the chief difference-maker instead and going for cheaper QB options on that end.

Comment

That has more to do with the timing of those contracts in the midst of (ridiculously) rapid inflation, IMO. A Watt contract initiated today would be equally huge.

Comment

But that goes back to my earlier post. How many playoff games has Suh made a difference in? Von on the other hand has made a difference at the highest level. That last turnover which got us 7 pts and sealed the SB for us was a second away from being a huge play for them. Their reciever was wide open deep. The difference between our huge play and theirs was Von. He has proven his worth. Many may not like the market price, but it is what it is. If anyone is worth it, I would think Von's resume would be one that stands out.
                              darelle Revis had a great season and wanted to be highest paid.
                              Sherman had a great season and wanted to be highest paid.
                              Suh wanted to be highest paid.
                              Albert Haynesworth wanted to be highest paid

none of those contracts were worth it..........
                              sigpic

Comment

You can go back and forth with that arguement. But JJ has definitely not led his team to a Lombardi. Von has.
                                JJ Watt also doesn't have the talent around him like Von Miller has....offense and defense
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X