X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    That's what Northwestern calls the position Dan Vitale plays.

We'll see what Kubiak has in mind for a Fullback. If he plans on using one often, he may want two for depth.

In 2011, Spencer Larsen was injured in the first playoff game. As a result, when they went to NE*, they couldn't run over half their rushing attack because they couldn't get into the I.
    I was referring to Dan when I posted that. I suspect that Kubiak would run with a main FB/TE hybrid as has been his tendency in most recent years and I then expect that he will continue to groom Juwan for this year at least to fill in as a backup. That should, in theory, allow for a plan B in the scenario where our main FB gets hurt.

Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    Watt lined up in the backfield as well as the TE position. He was an All American LB, so he wouldn't be a liability on special teams either.
    Watt could be nice but not sure how he was at catching from the backfield. His previous experience at LB would likely come in handy on ST as you suggested though.

Leave a comment:

• duhyaj
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Isn't he pretty busy leading the resistance against skynet?
    HAve to spread it around but I almost spit coffee all over my work computer lol.

Leave a comment:

• Thors Hammer
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Perhaps but I think Kubiak prefers more of a hybrid TE/FB. Perhaps taking Baby Gronk and have him follow in his brothers footsteps (Dan & Chris). although that is unlikely. I expect the Broncos to try and target "the super back" as other posters in other threads have suggested. The more I look into that pick the more I like it. Played a hybrid TE/FB role in college and did it well.
    Watt lined up in the backfield as well as the TE position. He was an All American LB, so he wouldn't be a liability on special teams either.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Perhaps but I think Kubiak prefers more of a hybrid TE/FB. Perhaps taking Baby Gronk and have him follow in his brothers footsteps (Dan & Chris). although that is unlikely. I expect the Broncos to try and target "the super back" as other posters in other threads have suggested. The more I look into that pick the more I like it. Played a hybrid TE/FB role in college and did it well.
    That's what Northwestern calls the position Dan Vitale plays.

We'll see what Kubiak has in mind for a Fullback. If he plans on using one often, he may want two for depth.

In 2011, Spencer Larsen was injured in the first playoff game. As a result, when they went to NE*, they couldn't run over half their rushing attack because they couldn't get into the I.
    Last edited by samparnell; 03-31-2016, 11:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Thors Hammer View Post
    Derek Watt from Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• Thors Hammer
    replied
    Derek Watt from Wisconsin.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
    We just have a difference in preference for a FB. I want a road grader type. I want a personal protector and lead blocker that punishes the defense. I am not expecting him to be in routes other then an occasional dump off.

I am not expecting the FB to be a receiver, I prefer the emphasis be on his blocking. It is a trade off I am willing to make to get the running game going.
    I can see and understand why you may wish to go this route. for me though I would rather look to bolster the Oline to allow them to make these initial blocks and then use the TE/FB to block our RB into the second or third level. This would also allow for some fake hand-offs and allow some intermediate throwing passes to the FB on the very same plays and formations. For me I just see this as a no-brainer to help pretty easily expand a fairly rigid Kubiak play-book.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
    Yes, he's one of the bruising, old-school FBs still out there - and he's unemployed because of it. I would like to have a FB like him and I believe he can also deliver some big blocks on special teams. It just does not look like Kubiak is looking for a true FB. I think he's looking for a hybrid player that can play TE + special teams, catch passes and play some FB like James Casey.
    This is the type of player which I personally prefer as well. It provides roster flexibility and should in theory allow us to carry a guy who would or could otherwise get poached from our PS.

Conner would be perfect for this offense though. He is a FB for a rushing team. I am seeing a emphasis on the run this year. Conner would be $500K-$750K well spent IMO.

Also would love to see Henry line up behind him on short yardage plays.

Just me but I hate the hybrid types. Tend to be receivers instead of blockers.
    I think there are real exceptions to your statement there at the end as being a rule. For me my personal preference is the more versatile TE/FB combo. I also like those types of players who can run the ball if need be. For me I see it as a way to really expand your playbook. I cannot recall if last year it was Atlanta, KC or the Ravens but having the FB in and out running routes allowed them to score two touchdowns...

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied
    Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    How about bringing in John Conner?
    Isn't he pretty busy leading the resistance against skynet?

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Conner is a bruiser and punishing lead blocker....but he isn't a receiving or "dive" back. I don't think he would be good for this offense. We need someone who can block...and release in PA. Conner is a great lead blocker...but nothing more than that.
    We just have a difference in preference for a FB. I want a road grader type. I want a personal protector and lead blocker that punishes the defense. I am not expecting him to be in routes other then an occasional dump off.

I am not expecting the FB to be a receiver, I prefer the emphasis be on his blocking. It is a trade off I am willing to make to get the running game going.

Leave a comment:

• Gbt31
    replied
    Conner would be perfect for this offense though. He is a FB for a rushing team. I am seeing a emphasis on the run this year. Conner would be $500K-$750K well spent IMO.

Conner is a bruiser and punishing lead blocker....but he isn't a receiving or "dive" back. I don't think he would be good for this offense. We need someone who can block...and release in PA. Conner is a great lead blocker...but nothing more than that.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Yes, he's one of the bruising, old-school FBs still out there - and he's unemployed because of it. I would like to have a FB like him and I believe he can also deliver some big blocks on special teams. It just does not look like Kubiak is looking for a true FB. I think he's looking for a hybrid player that can play TE + special teams, catch passes and play some FB like James Casey.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    I wonder what Henry Hynoski is up to these days?

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    That's exactly why Conner got cut a few years back in Cincinnati. They went with that FB/TE dude, I can't even remember his name.

Leave a comment:

• Terrell Myers
    replied
    I would say khun from Packers but age may be an issue but he'll be an excellent vet a rookie could learn from

Leave a comment:

Working...
X