Kubiak talking to Johnny Manziel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
    Don't believe I've seen pics of Gronk rolling up 20s in the men's room, heard of him wearing a wig and getting drunk in Vegas after getting benched. Damn sure he doesn't have a case pending for beating up his girlfriend.

I don't know how you could get the two confused.
    If Manziel was a Pro Bowl player he'd be looked at different just like Rothlesberger, or Adrian Peterson.
    He's expendable.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
      Pretty low bar you've got there for the type of player you'd consider to be on a team.

I'm not sure how one ignores the type of character flaws Manziel has displayed since being in the league. In my mind, they are not character flaws they are serious personality disorders.

I don't understand how you can overlook the fact that he's a raging alcoholic, drug addict and a documented batterer. He has a serious disease and is unwilling to address it. When he drinks, his life becomes unmanageable.

When he drinks, he gets into serious trouble. When he drinks, he hits his partner, gets arrested, lies about his drinking, posts pictures showing that he's been drinking and does so even if he'll lose his job.

His own father is concerned that if he doesn't quit, he could die from all the consequences that come with uncontrolled drinking and partying. Because when he drinks, he gets into trouble.

He's self absorbed, self entitled, arrogant, selfish, and cares about no one but himself. These are all personality traits or the character flaws of a raging alcoholic who refuses to deal with his disease that you are willing to overlook.

When alcoholics fail to address their disease, those "character flaws" impact everyone around them. They impact all their relationships (which is why they call it a family disease) and certainly have and will infest and impact a locker room.

For his sake, he needs to be in a long term alcohol treatment facility, not in a locker room. His new "Super Agent" is not doing him any favors by trying to shop him around to get a job.

Edit: And on top of that, the guy sucks as a QB. He really hasn't shown that he's all that great at winning games anyway.
      I'm not ignoring anything, just simply don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDiver View Post
        I'm not ignoring anything, just simply don't care.
        No words then.
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Not even going to read all responses...I know some are good, some will irritate me, some will make me laugh. I'm hoping Kubiak's conversation with Manziel went something like this...

"Hey Johnny?"
          "Yes Coach?"
          "I'm going to do you a solid, as we are A&M alumnus, but I'm going to ask you a favor in return, okay?"
          "Anything Coach, just help me out."
          "Okay, I'm going to let it leak to the media that we, the defending Super Bowl Champions, are talking to you. Nothing major, just some positive news for you...you could use it. Let me make it clear to you right now, WE ARE NOT SIGNING YOU. But maybe some other franchise, Dallas perhaps, sees us showing interest, and decides that if we are thinking of giving you another chance, they should do it first. You keep your mouth shut and just smile and wave, and you may get you another contract. Got it?"
          "Oh Coach, that's awesome. Yeah, I can do that. I know a couple places I can hide to stay out of trouble, or at least a couple of places where the folks won't rat me out. Thanks Coach, thanks a lot. If there's anything I can do, you name it. I mean.."
          "Stop talking to Von. Von Miller. Lose his number. Lose his address. Pretend like you took a hard shot to the head and the resulting concussion erased Von Miller from your memory. Stop talking to him, okay?"
          "Okay."
          Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
          Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
          Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

Apparently Manziel has moved in with Von Miller, and is getting his life together? I so hope we don't sign this dude. I'm not saying people don't deserve second chances in life. I just don't want the distractions on this team.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
              Apparently Manziel has moved in with Von Miller, and is getting his life together? I so hope we don't sign this dude. I'm not saying people don't deserve second chances in life. I just don't want the distractions on this team.
              One can only hope. Von had a tough start and might be able to speak into Manziel's life, but he doesn't need football right now. He needs to face his demons and get his life on track.

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                One can only hope. Von had a tough start and might be able to speak into Manziel's life, but he doesn't need football right now. He needs to face his demons and get his life on track.
                Josh Hamilton of the Rangers tried this whole "move someone in with me to make me behave" thing, and ended up right back where he was.

These people don't need someone to hold them accountable, they need to get help to learn to start holding THEMSELVES accountable.
                sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Rastic View Post
                  Part of treatment is getting the addict/alcoholic reintegrated back into society, and earning a living. Usually, the addressing of unpaid bills, squandered funds, and destroyed relationships is combined with out-patient treatment like Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings.

Frankly, I have no idea what Von Miller did to address his Drug-related issues, besides move his parents into the house with him. Hopefully, he can help Manziel as a mentor, or "sponsor".

Comment

Also, Manziel had his high school coach move in with him, and as soon as he was fed up with having someone hold him accountable he kicked him out.
                    sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

"If I had to make my decision on it, he would already be on the Broncos," Miller said Friday. "But we've got guys in the front office that make those decisions, and they put us in championships with those decisions. So I'm just going to follow those guys and have those guys take the lead."

Right, because (THANKFULLY) Elway and staff aren't operating on Aggie loyalty which is what this (Kube's and Miller's talking to JM) is really all about. If you've ever met Aggies you know how intense and irrational their loyalty is.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
                        Part of treatment is getting the addict/alcoholic reintegrated back into society, and earning a living. Usually, the addressing of unpaid bills, squandered funds, and destroyed relationships is combined with out-patient treatment like Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings.

Frankly, I have no idea what Von Miller did to address his Drug-related issues, besides move his parents into the house with him. Hopefully, he can help Manziel as a mentor, or "sponsor".
                        Maybe, but I think bringing Captain Chaos into his own home could potentially blow up in his face. Von's expertise is (besides chickens) getting to QBs in a different manner than what's needed here -he's not a psychologist. I just pray that if Johnny's whirlwind starts up again it doesn't become a distraction that affects Von's performance or the Broncos in any way.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Show me a franchise QB that does this often:

You'd struggle to find even a decent backup QB that lives like this.

What Sanchez has been doing, spending time at the Broncos facility, organizing a passing camp, is the minimum a potential starting QB should do. Sanchez still isn't very good even with that work ethic, but he's positioning himself to have a chance. The party boys, the drug addicts, the immature kids have no chance as a QB in this business. There's too much on their plate.

The QB has to be a football nerd and mature beyond his years. Manziel does not have any of these traits.
                          Last edited by -Rod-; 04-10-2016, 02:06 PM.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53 View Post

I'd be more worried about Johnny dragging Miller back down...
                            sigpic

Comment

A&M QB Johnny Manziel arrested
                              Jun 29, 2012
                              Associated Press
                              Email
                              print
                              comment
                              COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M freshman quarterback Johnny Manziel was arrested and jailed early Friday after he was involved in a fight and police said he produced a fake ID.

College Station police spokeswoman Rhonda Seaton says Manziel, 19, was charged with disorderly conduct, failure to identity and possessing a false identification card, all misdemeanors. He was jailed overnight and released Friday afternoon, Seaton said.

Manziel, a prep standout at Kerrville Tivy High School, redshirted last season. He was expected to compete for the starting job with sophomore Jameill Showers in the fall.

"I have been made aware of the situation with Johnny Manziel," incoming coach Kevin Sumlin said in a release. "We are gathering all the facts and will handle the situation once we have all of the information. We are disappointed with his actions and this is out of character for Johnny."

Police also arrested 20-year-old Steven Brant and 47-year-old Marvin McKinney after the incident, which occurred just after 2 a.m. in a street in the Northgate entertainment district.

Seaton says an officer on bike patrol intervened to break up a fight between Hanziel and McKinney. McKinney told the officer that Brant, Manziel's friend, called him a racial slur and he approached Brant. Seaton says Manziel then shoved McKinney and the two exchanged punches.

When officers asked Manziel for an ID, he produced a phony Louisiana driver's license that showed his birthday as Dec. 6, 1990. Police checked Manziel's wallet and found two more ID cards -- a fake Texas driver's license and Manziel's real driver's license that listed his date of birth as Dec. 6, 1992.
                              sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by gtown53;5417686[B
                                ]Part of treatment is getting the addict/alcoholic reintegrated back into society, and earning a living.[/B] Usually, the addressing of unpaid bills, squandered funds, and destroyed relationships is combined with out-patient treatment like Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings.

That is a step taken AFTER an addict or alcoholic has addressed their disease. Manziel has not done this yet. He has not come to terms with his addiction by any stretch of the imagination. He has not stopped drinking as evidenced by the fact that he continues to get arrested or pulled over or gets into some type of trouble, such as the domestic violence charges he is facing right now. These are the types of things that happens when he drinks.

Since Manziel has been in the NFL, he has been arrested or investigated several times for a variety of offenses. The latest was just in January for a domestic violence charge which occurred while drinking. That is evidence enough to demonstrate that he has not taken care of his alcoholism issues. Working to get reintegrated into society is not and should not be his focus right now. It should be coming to terms with the fact that he cannot drink. Because when he drinks, his life spirals out of control. When he drinks, he gets into trouble. When he drinks, bad things happen.

Von has credited my guy DWare with his turn around. He often says that DeMarcus has helped him grow up and become the man he is now. I too am not sure what Von did to address his marijuana issue though. I don't recall his life being as out of control as Manziel's though. So I don't know if he was able to just walk away from it or whether he needed to get some help for it.

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
                                I may not be very popular saying this but this concerns me. Von needs to surround himself with positive role models like DWare, not Manziel. I think it would be terrific if he can help him from a distance but to move in with Von kind of scares me. The reason being is that Manziel hasn't taken the steps to get sober yet and is actively in the process of hitting his bottom. Maybe Manziel has hit his bottom because of all the arrests and not having a job, but I don't think so.

It is one thing to live with someone who is actively addressing their addiction issues, who has continued to maintain a sober lifestyle and another to be living with someone who is still using, who is still getting into trouble and who still appears that he could give a rat's bum what the consequences of his actions are.

When someone is actively using it impacts everyone around them. It impacts all their relationships and I pray that Manziel's current lifestyle doesn't take Von down the wrong road. I have to say I'm kind of worried about this. Maybe Von is really solid in his sobriety and it works out, but Manziel doesn't need a baby sitter right now. He needs to be in a long term treatment facility.

I hope to God that Manziel doesn't drag Von back down. I hope he is strong enough to not let that happen. But I'm worried.
                                Last edited by broncoslover115; 04-10-2016, 12:25 PM.
                                Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Working...
                                X