Broncos Exchange Contract Proposals with Hillman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
    Again why would we not draft a RB high if that is the BPA when we pick? - This mentality of the team not drafting a RB high or close ot high this year because of next years "magical" RB class baffles me. We still have a season to play this year.
    Huh? I never said one word about next years magical RB class.
    I don't know what theheck you are talking about.
    -
    Broncos don't use pick #31.. on an RB
    especially Henry... who is over rated...
    because they just signed CJ to a big deal, and they just sgned Hillman to a 1 year deal..
    and they absolutely do not need to waste a valuable 1st round pick with the optional 5th year..
    on a rookie RB... considering...
    that the MOST successful Running Backs Denver has ever had were all like 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th rounders.
    Crikey.. Mike Anderson was a walk on out of the Marines.
    -
    BPA means best Player Available.. within reason....
    -

The last 2 times Denver used a high pick on a RB...
    were both big mistakes..
    Ball and Knowshon.
    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Am glad and his salary was fair. If he produces like last years second half. Good deal.

Comment

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gtown53 again.

I'm a man of my word
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
          -
          because they just signed CJ to a big deal, and they just sgned Hillman to a 1 year deal..
          and they absolutely do not need to waste a valuable 1st round pick with the optional 5th year..
          that the MOST successful Running Backs Denver has ever had were all like 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th rounders.
          -
          -

were both big mistakes..
          Ball and Knowshon.
          While I agree with your post...Mike Anderson was drafted in the 6th round.
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
            While I agree with your post...Mike Anderson was drafted in the 6th round.
            Gotcha, Thanks for the clarification.
            Coulda swore he walked on... but..
            now that you mention it...
            I remember.. he did like one year of college, after Marines...wasn't it?
            Then drafted I guess.
            -
            TD was a 6th round pick as well.
            - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Gotcha, Thanks for the clarification.
              Coulda swore he walked on... but..
              now that you mention it...
              I remember.. he did like one year of college, after Marines...wasn't it?
              Then drafted I guess.
              -
              TD was a 6th round pick as well.
              Marines to JUCO to Utah to being drafted by Broncos in the 6th...that's why he was like 26 year old rookie or something.
              New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                Because drafting high doesn't mean success...historically we find more luck drafting mid to low round or even UDFA than we do drafting high...Why draft high on a running back just so he can become the next Kno-mo or Hillman?

It baffels me why you'd want to waste a high pick on a guy who won't be here in 2-3 years just like we've been doing at RB. Use the high picks to shore up other positions, roll with CJ, draft some depth late or with UDFA and call it a day....
                The Broncos may have had success with UDFA or higher round RB's we have drafted but generally speaking, overall, the top three rounds of any draft tend to yield an overwhelmingly higher percentage of successes. Exceptions to the rule will always exist but they are just that, exceptions.

Also Hillman was a taller, thinner RB who we never pushed or demanded move to ST and who we repeatedly asked to run between the tackles. As his stats show he did so with VERY limited success. Conversely look at the other RB's taken in the 2nd round of the same draft we drafted Monte Ball. Eddie Lacy even Christine Michael were both taken after Monte Ball. Lacy is GB's #1 back and Monte is on his way out of the league...

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                  The Broncos may have had success with UDFA or higher round RB's we have drafted but generally speaking, overall, the top three rounds of any draft tend to yield an overwhelmingly higher percentage of successes. Exceptions to the rule will always exist but they are just that, exceptions.

Also Hillman was a taller, thinner RB who we never pushed or demanded move to ST and who we repeatedly asked to run between the tackles. As his stats show he did so with VERY limited success. Conversely look at the other RB's taken in the 2nd round of the same draft we drafted Monte Ball. Eddie Lacy even Christine Michael were both taken after Monte Ball. Lacy is GB's #1 back and Monte is on his way out of the league...
                  Lacy has yet to establish himself as a worthwhile back...He's lost a lot of weight so we'll see what he does this year, but lets be honest. Drafting RB's high doesn't pan out nearly as often now as it did 5-10 years ago, especially for us. None of our early RB's have done jack squat for us in the last couple of years. None of the RB's this year in my mind justify pick #31.
                  sigpic

Comment

-
                    -
                    -

were both big mistakes..
                    Ball and Knowshon.
                    I agree that neither of those two lived up to their draft position but Moreno did have a pretty incredible year for us in his final year here. Ball was a mistake. That said if we had opted for Lacy (picked a few picks later by GB) over Ball we might be having a much different conversation.

IF we are to look at the top 5 RB's selected in the last 2-3 drafts at least 2-3 of them have proven to be good to great assets to their teams and are still playing today. I might argue that last years draft has proven to be particularly strong at the RB position.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich_C View Post

And also....that RB class wasn't that great, a lot of busts. Maybe this RB class is the same. The only sure lock RB is Elliott....and nothing is a sure thing. The only RB class that has been extremely productive throughout the years is the 2008 Draft Class. A lot of first rounders, much like is projected for next year's class. It is all about a prospect and their given talent given the right opportunity. We just signed Hillman back with guaranteed money, so he most likely won't be cut. With us signing CJ and just signing Hillman, with Thompson in the waiting...I would say it is safe to say we wont be drafting RB early unless one falls in our laps that we have slotted to have been drafted earlier.
                      New England Patriots GM

Comment

• Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                        You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to gtown53 again.

I'm a man of my word
                        Thanks!

Hopefully as we get Kubiak's offense better integrated with some sort of decent Offensive Line, we'll see increased production from all of our backs.

Comment

Working...
                        X