Broncos Offer Von Miller $17MM+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos Offer Von Miller $17MM+

"Former Saints DE Will Smith Killed Saturday Night" via http://TeamStre.am by Bleacher Report

http://teamstre.am/23vlrJc

Broncos Offer Von Miller $17MM+ AAV Deal
    April 10th, 2016 at 5:33pm CST • By Sam Robinson
    It appears Von Miller‘s Dancing with the Stars run will likely keep him from beginning offseason workouts with the Broncos. Well, that and the fact the star pass-rusher hasn’t signed his franchise tag yet. Unless the 27-year-old Miller is eliminated from the competition Monday night, he will remain in Los Angeles for the duration of his stint on the show, Mike Klis of 9News reports.

But the bigger takeaway from Klis’ report is the Broncos have offered Miller a deal that would pay him between $17-$18MM per year.

That total would place the Super Bowl MVP second among all defensive players, behind only Ndamukong Suh‘s $19.06MM, in terms of average annual value.

Despite Miller’s demand of a $22MM-AAV deal in line with elite quarterbacks, the Broncos do not want to exceed Suh’s annual salary, Klis writes. Without Peyton Manning‘s $15MM+ cap number on their books as it was from 2012-15, Miller would become the highest-paid Bronco on a per-year basis — since the full parameters of Denver’s offer to Miller is not yet known — if he opted to accept this deal. Klis reports Miller is not expected to sign his franchise tender anytime soon.

Denver’s No. 2 pick in 2011, Miller believes he’s worth far more than the $17MM-AAV deal Olivier Vernon signed with the Giants based on the edge-rushers’ disparate sack numbers. The Broncos have eclipsed Vernon’s per-year mark but not nearly to Miller’s liking. A 2012 second-rounder, Vernon has 29.0 career sacks and one season with more than 10. Miller, a two-time first-team All-Pro, has 60.0 and four 10-sack+ seasons.

So, this standoff will likely continue well into the summer. If the sides don’t reach an extension agreement by July 15, Miller will play the 2016 season on his $14.129MM exclusive franchise tender.

Had Miller not been involved in this television competition, the fact that he hasn’t signed his tender would keep him out of Denver. Demaryius Thomas bypassed Broncos workouts until being signed to a five-year extension last July. Gary Kubiak told media, including Klis, he expected every player on the roster to attend these workouts, including Miller.

Klis doubts Miller will be eliminated from a contest that has actually induced Miller to take up residence in L.A. to practice at least four times per week. Dancing with the Stars arranges housing for its contestants.

Photo courtesy USA Today Sports Images

How about 6 years 105 million? 17.5 mill a year would be fair.

Comment

This is a contract I would love to see finalized but Miller has no incentive to sign anything right now with his stint on DWTS.
      Last edited by Rastic; 04-10-2016, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I bet he Miller got a good chuckle out of that offer. Looks like we will be parting ways after this season.

Comment

He gets paid to play football, not dance. 17 million sounds like a fair offer, 2nd highest D player in the league money. Just because Suh got paid a stupid amount we don't need to be as dumb.

Elway has shown how he values Miller, if he wants more then let him go after the season

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDiver View Post
            I bet he Miller got a good chuckle out of that offer. Looks like we will be parting ways after this season.
            If he is about money yeah, but the way negotiations work is he will then counter back, to me if Denver is willing to pay up to $18 million and Von wants $22 million a year an agreement of $20 million should work leaving guaranteed money the bigger deal.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DirtDiver View Post
              Except that we can tag him again next year.

I've been trying to tell folks that all the talk of $22M+ is irrelevant and has zero chance of happening because of the leverage of the tag. Elway will not cave.
              2016 San Diego Chargers GM & New York Giants GM - see bio for trade block/needs

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                If he is about money yeah, but the way negotiations work is he will then counter back, to me if Denver is willing to pay up to $18 million and Von wants $22 million a year an agreement of $20 million should work leaving guaranteed money the bigger deal.
                There is no way Elway will pay Miller 20 million a year

Comment

He is kinda getting old 27. He probably has 4 or 5 more Great years?
                  I would be very careful with this whole deal.

Comment

With the cap going up he could easily get 20 from another team.

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                      So basically he he will be great the length of the next contract?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by uknflfan View Post
                        Except that we can tag him again next year.

I've been trying to tell folks that all the talk of $22M+ is irrelevant and has zero chance of happening because of the leverage of the tag. Elway will not cave.
                        The worst case scenario is we tag him for two years and then let him walk. Von won't like that at all, but he has no control over it. Could we end up trading him for a king's ransom?

Comment

Originally posted by capt. Jack View Post
                          27 isnt that old, he'd be 32-33 by the end of it, still very good.

Comment

17 mil wont get it done, but its more about guaranteed money.

Comment

Originally I thought $19M/year might get it done, but I can see $20M once the smoke clears.

Comment

Working...
                              X