Friday signings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gbt31 View Post
    Hmmm, 70 and sunny in Charleston...great for me. Let's worry about the pieces that we lost that got us a Lombardi trophy before RB.
    Not worried it will sunny and 70 within a few days...it's Colorado.

As I have expressed before, I just see the holes to fill differently then some. I continue to see mock drafts with high picks being used on DE, TE, WR and I scratch my head a bit. Value can be found later if needed with those positions IMO.

I look at this speculated offensive system, with an improved o-line and most likely a journeyman or inexperienced QB. Add to that a talented but oft injured RB with highly questionable back-ups. To me that seems a much bigger role to fill for this season then some seem to willing to commit to in the draft.

I am encouraged by the improvements on the o-line. I think the draft improves the depth. But the offense still needs some help to hide the QB play. Defense should still be very good but they need some help along the way. Broncos need to be top 10 rush team IMO to have any shot at a repeat with the current squad.

Certainly would be nice to be able to rely on a legitimate 1-2 punch at RB.

Comment

One of the players in this "1-2" punch combo was undrafted. Yet you still include him in our proposed duo to solidify our Running Game. The last RB we took in the first(Moreno) ended up being nothing but mediocre...and the one before that(Bobby Humphrey, one of my favorites growing up), had a couple good seasons. Just because we draft a guy early doesn't mean they will produce at a high level. I understand the intrigue and the "wanting" of a premier back. But, reflecting on Bronco history...our most productive backs(aside from Clinton Portis) have been in the 5th round or later.
      New England Patriots GM

Comment

One of the players in this "1-2" punch combo was undrafted. Yet you still include him in our proposed duo to solidify our Running Game. The last RB we took in the first(Moreno) ended up being nothing but mediocre...and the one before that(Bobby Humphrey, one of my favorites growing up), had a couple good seasons. Just because we draft a guy early doesn't mean they will produce at a high level. I understand the intrigue and the "wanting" of a premier back. But, reflecting on Bronco history...our most productive backs(aside from Clinton Portis) have been in the 5th round or later.
        Couldn't the same philosophy be taken with just about every position on the team?

Cherry picking stats is easy. Paradis a 6th rounder started 16 games. Jackson was a 5th rounder. Why choose a lineman early if the Broncos have so much success drafting lineman after the 5th round?

Just making a point, not advocating the strategy.

Every year is different, every roster has different needs to improve. In this particular year IMO the need for upgrade is at a skill position. Probably two if you include QB.

As has been pointed out by this thread, there have been some nice o-line moves to solidify the depth. Now it is just about abilities of young players to develop and start contributing. I would also include the d-line in this reasoning too. Nice talent that needs to come together.

Just my opinion as to where the emphasis for improvement has to come . It differs from many, I know. BPA can be a skill position too.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
          Couldn't the same philosophy be taken with just about every position on the team?

Cherry picking stats is easy. Paradis a 6th rounder started 16 games. Jackson was a 5th rounder. Why choose a lineman early if the Broncos have so much success drafting lineman after the 5th round?

Just making a point, not advocating the strategy.

Every year is different, every roster has different needs to improve. In this particular year IMO the need for upgrade is at a skill position. Probably two if you include QB.

As has been pointed out by this thread, there have been some nice o-line moves to solidify the depth. Now it is just about abilities of young players to develop and start contributing. I would also include the d-line in this reasoning too. Nice talent that needs to come together.

Just my opinion as to where the emphasis for improvement has to come . It differs from many, I know. BPA can be a skill position too.
          If we were talking about Ezekiel Elliott falling to us at 31, sure my tune would be different. I am just of the opinion, Henry would be a reach at 31 and Dixon or Booker would be a reach in the second.
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

If we were talking about Ezekiel Elliott falling to us at 31, sure my tune would be different. I am just of the opinion, Henry would be a reach at 31 and Dixon or Booker would be a reach in the second.
            No worries. We all have our opinions. I realize I am on an island with how I am prioritizing certain positions. We all do it. Going to be interesting to see how Elway prioritizes and selects in a couple weeks.

I have mentioned before that I am mystified that some express the opinion that the Broncos need a WR. With Fowler, Latimer, DT, Sanders, Norwood and Taylor currently signed I can see no reason that one is needed except as an flyer late pick. But I have seen some mocks with one in the top 4 picks. Different opinions.

Funny, all three RBs you mention would be fine with me. And all three are projected to be drafted higher then you suggest on some (not all) mock drafts.
            Last edited by FR Tim; 04-16-2016, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
              What are your thoughts of Haeg?

I look at OTs like him and Murphy as versatile and promising prospects at the end of the 3rd. Especially if they do not need to start day 1. Or be thrust into full-time starters duties due to an injury like Schofield was last year.

Still not closing the door on the possibilities that Spriggs slips to the Broncos at #31 either. A lot of things are possible.
              Joe Haeg is a Swing Tackle who could even start on the left. He might last into the 4th, but would probably be gone by #136. If they hadn't picked a Tackle by #98, Haeg would be a good pick there IMO. Same for Murphy.

Spriggs at #31 depends on the QB situation. I guess if Elway planned on getting Prescott at #63, if Spriggs was there at #31, they could pick him. I think he would be a great player for years to come.
              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Monday 4-18-2016

After not getting an offer from the Broncos, free agent OLB Lerentee McCray signed Monday with the Green Bay Packers.

Also Brandon McManus signed his exclusive rights tender and will continue his career with the Broncos. :thumb:
                sigpic
                Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by one_bad_55 View Post
                  Monday 4-18-2016

After not getting an offer from the Broncos, free agent OLB Lerentee McCray signed Monday with the Green Bay Packers.

Also Brandon McManus signed his exclusive rights tender and will continue his career with the Broncos. :thumb:
                  That is too bad. McCray showed he had some talent but he was injured a lot.

Comment

Lerentee McCray was an UDFA who made the team and was a Bronco for three years. His signing with the Packers is good publicity for the Broncos with prospective undrafted rookies along with UDFAs who have become important players in Denver like Chris Harris, Shaquil Barrett, Bennie Fowler, C.J. Anderson, Todd Davis and Juwan Thompson.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Working...
                    X