Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did one Broncos 'discount' deal set stage for Von Miller conflict?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did one Broncos 'discount' deal set stage for Von Miller conflict?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/di...021107007.html

"When the Denver Broncos begin their offseason program on Monday, Super Bowl MVP Von Miller won't be there. He won't be there Tuesday or later in the week. And without a new long-term deal, there's no guarantee he'll be at the team's summer minicamp or even arrive on time for training camp.

That's an indication of the financial distance between the Broncos and Miller. The two sides are not close, with a disparity believed to be in the neighborhood of $20 million total over a span of five years. That's a difference of roughly $4 million per season. Two sources familiar with the negotiation pegged Denver's offer as hovering around $18 million per season (roughly $90 million over five years). With the $4 million disparity in mind, that puts Miller's stance at around $22 million annually (roughly $110 million over five years)."

Ok, I love the guy, and I think he's a phenomenal athlete, but that amount of money can really hurt this team. However, I doubt we would of won the Super Bowl without him. Heck, we probably wouldn't of even made it to the Super Bowl without him. I'm no contracts expert, but roughly a 1/4 of our cap will go to 2 players for the next 4 years, DT and Miller. Don't get me wrong either, I want him to stay, but my god.... That's a boat load of money just for one player. 22 million is about 1/5 of our cap.

Adios amigos. He's not worth handicapping the team over. And no, there is no way we would have beaten Carolina without him on the field. But if we pay him that much he will have to do it by himself because we won't be able to afford to keep any other talent around him.

Comment

I can see Von getting close to 20 mil and that is high.
      sigpic

Comment

Denver is not hoisting the Lombardy trophy or even making it to the Superbowl without Von. He is worth 19-20 mil a year IMO because he changes the game just like a QB can. If they have to wait a year to get him paid then hold firm and make him play on his tag and pay him next year.

Comment

They gonna settle at 20 million per year..
          with guaranteed money arounf 60 million...
          give or take.
          That is how horse trading goes.
          -
          They need to get it done this year, too.
          because by next year the numbers gonna just go up.
          Make him play on 14 million tag...
          next year he gonna HOLD firm for 22 to 23 million.
          It is just gonna go up more every season.
          -
          Which is WHY they shoulda signed him for the 18 million LAST year...
          and they shoulda signed Brock for 14 million LAST year as well.
          Good teams lock up their free agents early...

Look at Harris' contract.. he woulda made much more this year..
          good thing we locked him down when we did.
          -
          Just pay the man.

We aint gonna cut him.. trade him or make him play 2 years on a franchise tag.

-
          Just pay the man.
          - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
            Denver is not hoisting the Lombardy trophy or even making it to the Superbowl without Von. He is worth 19-20 mil a year IMO because he changes the game just like a QB can. If they have to wait a year to get him paid then hold firm and make him play on his tag and pay him next year.
            Exactly, plus we will have a lot of cap space next year....well at least more than we had this year.
            New England Patriots GM

Comment

Look at all his draft mates..

JJWATT.. deal done early.

All them good guys in his draft class... deal done early
              -
              The way Von sees it.. he is ALREADY 25 million in the hole..
              compared to his peers.

Go another year? He is gonna want even MORE..
              and if we don't give it to him... some other team will.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

You have to pay SOMEBODY that you have drafted and homegrown. If he asks for $22, you give him $20 and up the guaranteed money. He won't say no to a 5 yr. $100 mil. With $65 guaranteed, that is QB level money.

You'll have the space next year to pay players around him.

Comment

The reason miller wasn't locked up early was mostly due to his off field transgressions in 2013. The broncos weren't going to throw a dime at a guy who was one strike away from a year long suspension. In theory locking a talent of vons caliber up early is common sense but there was good legitimate reasoning the broncos held firm on this proposal. I know he is off the conduct deal now, but he wasn't at the point of early extension scenarios

Comment

Originally posted by Blanket24 View Post
                    The reason miller wasn't locked up early was mostly due to his off field transgressions in 2013. The broncos weren't going to throw a dime at a guy who was one strike away from a year long suspension. In theory locking a talent of vons caliber up early is common sense but there was good legitimate reasoning the broncos held firm on this proposal
                    Miller was released from the NFL's drug program before the beginning of last season.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...s-drug-program

This has nothing to do with the Broncos' and Miller's contract negotiations.

Comment

I edited my post to say that because I knew I would be corrected. My point was up until this season he was a risk of suspension.

Comment

It has a whole lot to do with why he wasn't extended in 13 or 14 my friend

Comment

Originally posted by JvDub95 View Post
                          We also wouldn't be hoisting a Lombardi trophy is we had to sacrifice other players to significantly overpay one. The reason the defense was stacked is because we didn't overpay one player on that side of the ball. The reason the offense suffered is because Peyton and DT swallowed most of the cap. It's nice that von showed up in the playoffs and we thank him for that but the key to long term success is not overpaying one single player.

Think of everytime that has made some record breaking deal for a non QB player and tell me how many of them had much success. Most didn't even make the playoffs.

Comment

Disagree. The reason the offense suffered..
                            was because

a) Manning the most significant Free Agent signing EVER... who was very cooperative and cap friendly on his deal, even reworking it to sign other players...was injured at the end of his long career....

b) the offensive line was injured ( Sambrailo and Clady) and we had to go with what we had on hand.

it had very little to do with salary .. and a lot to do with the fall of the cards last season.
                            -
                            The lackluster offense last year had very little to do with cap numbers and salaries.

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                              Disagree. The reason the offense suffered..
                              was because

a) Manning the most significant Free Agent signing EVER... who was very cooperative and cap friendly on his deal, even reworking it to sign other players...was injured at the end of his long career....

b) the offensive line was injured ( Sambrailo and Clady) and we had to go with what we had on hand.

it had very little to do with salary .. and a lot to do with the fall of the cards last season.
                              -
                              The lackluster offense last year had very little to do with cap numbers and salaries.
                              I agree with that. Add in a new system and new coaches, and to me it seemed like some of the guys on offense didn't really respect Brock or want to play hard for him.
                              :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X