Broncos will not exercise fifth-year option on Sylvester Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos will not exercise fifth-year option on Sylvester Williams

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Executive Vice President/General Manager John Elway opted to forego picking up the fifth-year option on Sylvester Williams, which will make him an unrestricted free agent next year.

Had the Broncos chosen to pick up the option, the money would have been guaranteed only for injury until the start of the 2017 league year, at which point it would have become fully guaranteed.

Elway indicated after the NFL Draft on Saturday that Williams' role might be too limited to justify a potential one-year salary of approximately $6.75 million, which is where he believed Williams' number would fall if the Broncos picked up the option.

"It's a big [cap] number," Elway said on Saturday. "We'd like to have him back, but that's what we were trying to figure out, if that number makes sense."
    http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...d-e638c61dcdbb

Good!...Sly will need to have a great year if he wants to get paid by somebody next year.
    sigpic

Comment

That's a cash decision, he played less than 50% of the snaps last year. 6.75m is a huge #.
      What's the difference between ignorance and apathy?
      I don't know and I don't care

Comment

Then he goes out this year has a great year and commands double on the free agent market. Alot of our picks tend to be late bloomers towards the end of their rookie deals. I think this is the year it all comes together for him and lives up to that first round pick.

Comment

Yea, Sly needs to have a monster season to justify those numbers. Being servicable wont cut it and he knows it...I hope.

Comment

I just saw this on FB. He's setting up a situation where a player has a "prove it" year just like Malik did.
            Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
              Then he goes out this year has a great year and commands double on the free agent market. Alot of our picks tend to be late bloomers towards the end of their rookie deals. I think this is the year it all comes together for him and lives up to that first round pick.
              If he has a great year then we win.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Seems like the smart thing to do. Needs to earn his keep. I expect a nice season out of him.

Comment

This was a pretty easy decision. Next year (this year, now) Sly needs to draw more double teams on rushing plays and can get more pressure up the middle on passing plays. I think more than any other player on our defense, Sly will miss Danny Trevathan.

Comment

Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                    If that happens, Denver would probably get a compensatory pick. Looks like Elway is drafting well, at least as far as other teams are concerned.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      If that happens, Denver would probably get a compensatory pick. Looks like Elway is drafting well, at least as far as other teams are concerned.
                      I don't think Sly will generate a comp pick if they lose him. hE WON'T GET A BIG ENOUGH NEW CONTRACT AND HE WON'T HAVE PLAYED MANY SNAPS.

sorry for caps...don't want to retype
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                        This was a pretty easy decision. Next year (this year, now) Sly needs to draw more double teams on rushing plays and can get more pressure up the middle on passing plays. I think more than any other player on our defense, Sly will miss Danny Trevathan.
                        I think Sly will actually miss Malik much more than trevathan. Malik was a force up front and that production will be hard to match from the current guys on the team....this coming year anyway.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                          Yea, Sly needs to have a monster season to justify those numbers. Being servicable wont cut it and he knows it...I hope.
                          Sly would have to absolutely dominate to get that much $. The highest paid 3-4 NT makes right now is jaye Howard at $5M/year.

Howard played 70% of the KC snaps compared to 48% for Sly.
                          sigpic

Comment

We might be able to resign Sly for a much more reasonable salary. Who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                              Trevathan was just a guy, that's why the Broncos didn't even try to re-sign him. He will be replaced and people will forget all about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X