Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Broncos rookies select jersey numbers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by #87Birdman View Post
    I've never been a fan of retiring numbers. What are they going to do when they end up unable to give rookies a number because 1-99 are taken or retired.
    Yes. I'd rather see the number and remember that great player that once had that number. Besides, I don't like seeing the new generation with more and more restrictions to choose a number.

    People want to see a bunch of numbers retired.

    With all due respect to Frank Tripucka, having #18 retired because of him does not make sense. The Broncos were his 5th NFL team and he only played 4 seasons for them. First QB, okay, but I thought it was about excellence. What about the first RB, first WR, first LB?

    And don't forget the deceased players. Some people wanted #27 retired because of Darrent Williams' tragic death. Then #29 (Damien Nash) and #11 (Kenny McKinley) should be retired too. Or are their deaths less important?

    So the Broncos should retire #11, #24, #27, #29,#30, #80, #84... Add #58 as a probable retired number thanks to Von Miller... And the next generation will have to wear letters.

    This obsession with retired numbers and the rookie hazing are traditions I really don't understand.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #17
      Well I differ then some, I think if the player was good enough to make the HOF and played with that organization for the majority of his career, it should be retired.

      44, 65, 84, 7 should be retired

      30,53, 18, 24 should also be retired and those players should be in the HOF too imo. I'm sure 24 and 18 will be soon

      I realize 18 already was, not sure I agree with that and it got unretired, but it should be now for Manning


      JMO
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        Charley Johnson wore #12.
        Actually, if you didn't see Charley Johnson play, in person, you don't have a proper frame of reference for judging more recent Broncos QBs. I'm happy to say that I go back as far as Steve Tensi, Alan Pastrana, and Marlon Briscoe.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by gtown53 View Post
          Actually, if you didn't see Charley Johnson play, in person, you don't have a proper frame of reference for judging more recent Broncos QBs. I'm happy to say that I go back as far as Steve Tensi, Alan Pastrana, and Marlon Briscoe.
          Don't forget Jacky Lee, Mickey Slaughter, John McCormick, Max Choboian, Scotty Glacken, and the rest of the dozen QBs between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson, aka Dr. Johnson of NMSU.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

          Comment


          • #20
            I read an article after Elway retired that the team won't retire anymore numbers.

            No offense to anyone but retiring a number is just nuts, in my opinion it doesn't really honor that player. If you want to honor a player, build A statue in his honor or name a street after him.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
              Well I differ then some, I think if the player was good enough to make the HOF and played with that organization for the majority of his career, it should be retired.

              44, 65, 84, 7 should be retired

              30,53, 18, 24 should also be retired and those players should be in the HOF too imo. I'm sure 24 and 18 will be soon

              I realize 18 already was, not sure I agree with that and it got unretired, but it should be now for Manning


              JMO
              I mean....You can't retire numbers. Take them out of circulation for awhile sure, but you've got 90 players in training camp... You can't start assigning players like #'s like 120...Honor them in the ring of fame, but you can't retire numbers, there aren't enough of them to go around.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #22
                My opinion a number should be retired if you are considered in the running for GOAT. in Denver history Only ELway can really be consider the GOAT for his position. so 7 should be retired. 18 NOW should be retired.

                Champ is boardline for me, i dont know if he is quiet GOAT for CB or not it is close, if it happend i would be fine with it but i am also fine with it not retired.

                Shannon is also in the same boat as Champ, on TE's that rival Sharpe was Tony and Gates. Gronk will probably be there too but i dont know if mutants are allowed to be considered?? jokes jokes. Again im good either way with 84.

                TD probably would have been there at GOAT if he didnt get hurt, but starying healthy is part of it and sadly he couldnt so no i dont think he should be retired.

                Everyone else Rod, Eddy, Atwater etc. were all great players but GOATs? i dont hink so.

                if it were me 7 and 18 would be it. sorry Floyd, you were great but you weren't a GOAT
                sigpic
                BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

                Comment


                • #23
                  Not a fan of retiring numbers unless the player did something extraordinary. With that said I think its criminal that #30 is not retired. Bad enough TD doesn't get respect for the HOF least we could do is retire his jersey. Arguably the greatest 4 year stretch for a RB ever.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Maybe it's the heart string since I wasn't around pre-Elway(earliest memory was dad saying "We just traded for some Elway kid"...... but #7 is the one I'd go with. Sure... drafted as a Colt, but started with us, remained... even came home to bring the Lombardi back as part of management after success with the Crush. I'd say there is an argument as THE GOAT, but that's a conversation for another thread.

                    Back on topic here... I'm sipping the Kool-Aid and FIRMLY strapped in on the #12 bandwagon.
                    *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                    *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                    *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Bralon Addison I'm hoping he wears #2 for us for a long time. Great YAC ability.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                        My opinion a number should be retired if you are considered in the running for GOAT. in Denver history Only ELway can really be consider the GOAT for his position. so 7 should be retired. 18 NOW should be retired.

                        Champ is boardline for me, i dont know if he is quiet GOAT for CB or not it is close, if it happend i would be fine with it but i am also fine with it not retired.

                        Shannon is also in the same boat as Champ, on TE's that rival Sharpe was Tony and Gates. Gronk will probably be there too but i dont know if mutants are allowed to be considered?? jokes jokes. Again im good either way with 84.

                        TD probably would have been there at GOAT if he didnt get hurt, but starying healthy is part of it and sadly he couldnt so no i dont think he should be retired.

                        Everyone else Rod, Eddy, Atwater etc. were all great players but GOATs? i dont hink so.

                        if it were me 7 and 18 would be it. sorry Floyd, you were great but you weren't a GOAT
                        I think one had to be there to understand. Mile High Stadium was sold out several years before the Broncos had a winning season. The main reason for that was Floyd Little. John Elway once called Floyd Little "the greatest Bronco". Floyd is one of the reasons is that the Broncos stayed in Denver.

                        He may not be the greatest running back of all time to you, but he ran the ball, caught the ball, returned Punts and Kickoffs and played with nine different QBs during his career as a Bronco. Back in those days, the defense had Billy Thompson, Rich Jackson, Paul Smith, Dave Costa and Pete Duranko, but the offense basically just had Floyd. Denver's opponents knew that and focused their efforts on stopping him, but they often failed.

                        Floyd was always injured. In today's terminology, he would be listed as doubtful every week, but he only missed nine games in nine years. He has earned all the recognition he has received from the Denver Broncos.
                        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                          I think one had to be there to understand. Mile High Stadium was sold out several years before the Broncos had a winning season. The main reason for that was Floyd Little. John Elway once called Floyd Little "the greatest Bronco". Floyd is one of the reasons is that the Broncos stayed in Denver.

                          He may not be the greatest running back of all time to you, but he ran the ball, caught the ball, returned Punts and Kickoffs and played with nine different QBs during his career as a Bronco. Back in those days, the defense had Billy Thompson, Rich Jackson, Paul Smith, Dave Costa and Pete Duranko, but the offense basically just had Floyd. Denver's opponents knew that and focused their efforts on stopping him, but they often failed.

                          Floyd was always injured. In today's terminology, he would be listed as doubtful every week, but he only missed nine games in nine years. He has earned all the recognition he has received from the Denver Broncos.
                          And this is why I love having some of the olde... uh... senio... ummmm... wiser and more experienced fans around here... you bring an insight from having seen things from the early days. As always, Prof., to you!!!
                          *2011 BCMB Locker Room Division I League Champion*
                          *Voted; 2013 & 2015 BCMBA's Scariest Mod*
                          *Voted; 2014 BCMBA's Best Avi and Most Friendly*


                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by dipablo View Post
                            My opinion a number should be retired if you are considered in the running for GOAT. in Denver history Only ELway can really be consider the GOAT for his position. so 7 should be retired. 18 NOW should be retired.

                            Champ is boardline for me, i dont know if he is quiet GOAT for CB or not it is close, if it happend i would be fine with it but i am also fine with it not retired.

                            Shannon is also in the same boat as Champ, on TE's that rival Sharpe was Tony and Gates. Gronk will probably be there too but i dont know if mutants are allowed to be considered?? jokes jokes. Again im good either way with 84.

                            TD probably would have been there at GOAT if he didnt get hurt, but starying healthy is part of it and sadly he couldnt so no i dont think he should be retired.

                            Everyone else Rod, Eddy, Atwater etc. were all great players but GOATs? i dont hink so.

                            if it were me 7 and 18 would be it. sorry Floyd, you were great but you weren't a GOAT
                            #18 was and still is retired for Frank Tripucka. Frank was brought to Denver in 1960 at age 33 to be an assistant coach. He ended up quarterbacking the Denver Broncos for the next four years including the only non-losing season in the first thirteen years of the franchise.

                            In 1960 there were two QBs who threw for 3000 yards. One was Johnny Unitas in the NFL, and the other was Frank Tripucka in the AFL. I think they were the first pro QBs to throw for 3000 yards in a season.

                            Do you know when the era of 1000 yard receivers catching 100 passes began? It began in 1961 in Denver with Frank Tripucka throwing to Lionel Taylor.

                            As a New Mexico guy, you should appreciate the great Broncos who played their college ball here: Lionel Taylor at Highlands, Charley Johnson at NMSU and Paul Smith at UNM (and also Roswell HS Coyotes).
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Sharpe is the greatest tight end of all time. If being the best player to ever play your position doesn't warrant a retired number, nothing does.

                              He put up huge receiving numbers before the NFL outlawed pass defense, he was a great blocker, and he won 3 Super Bowls. And he's a Denver Bronco to the very core of his being.
                              Anyone seen Jake Plummer?

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by shawinkerpoppin View Post
                                Bralon Addison I'm hoping he wears #2 for us for a long time. Great YAC ability.
                                If he makes the team they'll make him switch to a number in the 80's or teens after pre-season

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X